E36 Spacing Out Rear Bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 Spacing Out Rear Bumper?

I'm squeezing some fatties in the rear of my e36 and am rubbing the rear bumper. Fenders are flared so no issues there. I was told to add washers to the rear bumper mount to space out the rear bumper.

The alignment arms are a bracket spot welded (spot welds perpendicular to the way the bumper slides on to it) to the spare tire compartment with a mildly adjustable plastic bracket screwed to it with screws parallel to the way the to the way the bumper slides on to it.

The only way I can see washers working is to drill the spot welds and use bolts and washers in their place to space everything out on the sides.

Did you ever figure this out?
    1997 BMW 328i

Comment

You can remove the rear part of the plastic wheel well liner with the wheel removed. There are two screws there. Loosen them and pull the bumper out, then tighten. Unfortunately you're kind of limited. You may be able to remove the bracket and cut out material for more adjustability. For a more aggressive approach, you could drill out the spot welds to the piece of metal that holds the adjusting bracket and replace the spot welds with a bolt and washers. I just used the stock adjustment maxed out and my 265/35/18s rubbed enough clearance to not rub anymore.

Comment

I need like 2mm of space. Not much
        1997 BMW 328i

Comment

well, the tires rubbing on the bumper self corrected...
          1997 BMW 328i

Comment

same here
            Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Originally posted by busterhax View Post
              You can remove the rear part of the plastic wheel well liner with the wheel removed. There are two screws there. Loosen them and pull the bumper out, then tighten. Unfortunately you're kind of limited. You may be able to remove the bracket and cut out material for more adjustability. For a more aggressive approach, you could drill out the spot welds to the piece of metal that holds the adjusting bracket and replace the spot welds with a bolt and washers. I just used the stock adjustment maxed out and my 265/35/18s rubbed enough clearance to not rub anymore.
              When I pulled my arches, I fabbed up some quick adapters for this mount you're talking of to space out the sides of my bumper. My bumper sits about 20mm wider outwards on each side.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

my car ended up being so far toe out on the passenger side (like -.30...) that ended up being the problem. Now I'm +.1 and it's awesome.
                1997 BMW 328i

Comment

If you are careful you can drill screws into the bottom of the quarter panel where the bumper meets up. I personally did this and was able to get the room i needed and could get more when I need it. I did not do any damage to the part of the panel you see so I would say its a pretty good trick.

Comment

Working...
                  X