Spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bjh102 View Post
    who makes a true coilover for the rear on an e36? im just curious. fuck now im hoping my 700 rear spring is stiff enough.
    I don't think anybody does, dude to the lack of clearance between the shock and wheel that's already present with the current design.

Comment

Originally posted by bjh102 View Post
      who makes a true coilover for the rear on an e36? im just curious. fuck now im hoping my 700 rear spring is stiff enough.
      I believe with Motons or Ohlins style you could run them as a true coilover. I am sure with some big spacers it could clear if you ran Ground Control's race setup. They could put a perch on.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
        J stocks are actually not that high. My friend just got some and I don't know what I'm allowed to say, but they're nowhere near that stiff.
        J-Stocks are progressive springs and yes, at some point in the travel they are that stiff. Early on they are not nearly that stiff, which is what makes them very streetable.

I am running 430lb/5" up front, and 450lb/6" out back.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStig View Post
          HOLY SHIT your fronts are Really soft. How low are you? I think my stock Bilsteins were stiffer than that.
          Well theyre for an e30, and it seems like e30s run lighter rates up front alot. 350/~500 is a pretty standard GC rate

Keep in mind im not slammed.

My next sprins though may be 650/750 but i worry it may be to stiff for the bilsteins

Flickr

Comment

Yeah, this is true. Sounds like you got it all planned out. Im not too big into E30s, so my knowledge is lacking in that department.

Comment

I'm running a 550 lb spring up front and will be running 1000 or 1200 out back. Wheel rate on an e30 is .88 up front and .47 out back. So actual rates are lower. The numbers just seem big.

Comment

650/450.

Seems just perfect for me on the e30.

Comment

That seems super unbalanced. Unless you typed them backwards.

Comment

I would agree.

Comment

Oh woops. I always do that...

650r 450f. My bad. I just assume the r/f is obvious... woops!

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
                        J stocks are actually not that high. My friend just got some and I don't know what I'm allowed to say, but they're nowhere near that stiff.

On my e36 I'm running 750/850
                        On my e24 I'm running 450/400
                        Wow you run 450/400 on your e24 with credit card tire/fender clearance?!

Mine are 550/700

I love it but I wouldn't mind a little more stiffness out back. I raised my rear up a bit and I still rub tire all the time and sometimes rim.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

You're not taking into the account that the E24/E28 has a true rear coilover, meaning 400# in an E24 is about the same as 600# in an E36.

Ah, the benefits of having true coilovers...

A 650/1100 setup in an E36 would be about the same as my 650/750 setup.
                          Last edited by driggers.a; 06-14-2009, 04:09 PM.
                          Eatin' Babies

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
                            I'm running a 550 lb spring up front and will be running 1000 or 1200 out back. Wheel rate on an e30 is .88 up front and .47 out back. So actual rates are lower. The numbers just seem big.
                            Correct. On an e30 you are basically at 1/2 the advertised rate. The e36 is not quite as bad but you will need significantly more rear spring is you want it 'evened' out front to rear.

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
                            Oh woops. I always do that...

650r 450f. My bad. I just assume the r/f is obvious... woops!
                            That seems better

Comment

Originally posted by DaRedRocket View Post
                              You're not taking into the account that the E24/E28 has a true rear coilover, meaning 400# in an E24 is about the same as 600# in an E36.

Ah, the benefits of having true coilovers...

A 650/1100 setup in an E36 would be about the same as my 650/750 setup.
                              Yep didn't think about that. I may have to step up my spring rates then if I want to step up my game.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Im running 6" 600F and 6" 700R. I may increase the spring rates so that I can go with a shorter spring!

Comment

Working...
                                X