No announcement yet.

1991 Mazda RX7 - From junk, to showcar in $3,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of last week, all I could think of is working on that bumper. It is so awesome having something to look forward to like that. I am starting to think maybe project cars are the best cars. I mean... if the car is perfect, there is nothing to do with it. If you don't do anything to your car, you get over it, and want to move on. Maybe a car that you'll keep around is a car that always needs work? There is something so rewarding about improving things. Watching the RX7 change and slowly get better and better has been so rewarding. Especially because I will never forget how I found the car. In that pit of mud, surrounded by pitbulls in that crackhead's back yard. No title, no future. Too far gone.

First coat of paint is on.

I don't know if yall noticed or not, but the passenger fender has always had a dent in it, right where it meets the front bumper. I bought it that way. I tried to pop it out as much as I could with a crowbar through the inner fender haha, but never did get it because it was dented right in the crease, where it is the strongest. Anyway, I have NO autobody experience, and **** taking cars apart because it always seems you miss a bolt or nut, or break a clip or two. So I never pulled the fender, never got it fixed.

Now that I am changing the bumper, there was no excuse. It was time to pull my first fender.

I got it off, but in the process.... broke the bottom two bolts, just as I had feared. They were rusted, and just snapped. Had a little internal scream there.

I remember visiting my uncle's shop as a kid. One of the strongest parts of that memory is the smell of bondo. Watching him mix that gray goop with a somehow-specific amount of red paste on a piece of cardboard, or plastic lid, or anything else flat really. Then watching him smear it smoothly over a rough, hammered-out dent. Then some time later, sand it smooth. I would run my hand over the spot in amazement. The dust from the bondo would cover my hand, and running my hand over the repaired area would feel smooth, cool, and dry. I would never forget that texture, that smell, and the dust that would fall as he sanded.

Anyway, I finally got to try it myself.

You can see the dent in these pics kinda

xxxx
    Last edited by Miroteknik; 10-22-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• looks top. spray it all out and slap it back together. any picture of it in the yard?
      2 328i e36's
      Saabaru linear 2.5na
      Various projects.
      sigpic
      Intro;
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

Comment

• Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
        looks top. spray it all out and slap it back together. any picture of it in the yard?
        Will try to have an update tomorrow.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of it in the yard. I could tell the guy wouldn't appreciate it, my mind was too busy wondering what it would take to get it started, and I was in a buyer's frenzy.
        Last edited by Miroteknik; 11-29-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• It is done.

--

--

--

xxxx
          Last edited by Miroteknik; 10-26-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Yeah dude!

Almost looks like it's time for larger diameter wheels.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

• Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
              Yeah dude!

Almost looks like it's time for larger diameter wheels.
              It is definitely time.

Currently in search of an 18" set. Equips, Meister, SSR, or something Italian.

Looking for a steal so may be a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                It is definitely time.

Currently in search of an 18" set. Equips, Meister, SSR, or something Italian.

Looking for a steal so may be a while.
                Either way, it'll look good. I, personally, am a huge fan of the meaty tires you currently run!
                Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• the pictures parked in the dip, daaaaamn. looksgoodman.
                  2 328i e36's
                  Saabaru linear 2.5na
                  Various projects.
                  sigpic
                  Intro;

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                    Either way, it'll look good. I, personally, am a huge fan of the meaty tires you currently run!
                    thanks man, i been diggin it!

Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                    the pictures parked in the dip, daaaaamn. looksgoodman.
                    lmao good eye. irl tbh, the car front end looks higher with this bumper so i'm low-key pissed actually and now i gotta scheme and work my angles smh

Comment

• Fall is here, love is dead.

Leaves that fall, yellow, red,

Like the words, left unsaid,

Shrug my shoulders, hang my head.

Summer's over, hard times ahead,

Rise up gamers, get that bread.

Man, I'm already over the bumper. Front end needs to go lower. Need wide-lip, three piece splits. Need this, need that. It never ends... Main reason you don't see any passenger-side shots is cause the passenger side skirt isn't on, because the last two broken bolts of the fender are still in there. Bought a new jack this week, might try to drill them out, and get it back together again. Ain't even that mad winter is coming, I'm kind of tired of buying stuff and working on the car. Have done a lot to the car for how little I've had time to enjoy it. Its like that girlfriend you were so excited about but a few trips, iPhones, and EDM festivals later, you're starting to wonder what's in it for you anyway. On top of that she's really fussy all the time and honestly, mostly just a pain in the ass.

So yeah gonna give her the silent treatment for a bit;

that'll teach her.

xxxx
                      Last edited by Miroteknik; 11-02-2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Of the many things to wish for, one of them would have to be patience.

I find myself tearing at the bit to get somewhere in life, or at least keep up with the rest,

Because every day I am getting older, and I'd **** to run out of time to accomplish everything.

What is the balance between working hard enough to reach your goals, and working too hard you don't get to enjoy the goals you reach?

Car is definitely misfiring again, even after the new distributor. I'm upset and she only starts with ether. I just want to drive her through the foggy mornings that are becoming more frequent now.

I guess the patient thing to do would be to keep working on it and be patient.

xxxx
                        Last edited by Miroteknik; 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• It's a chevy thing, man. Just remember how far shes come
                          2 328i e36's
                          Saabaru linear 2.5na
                          Various projects.
                          sigpic
                          Intro;

Comment

• where in WA are you? Ive got a set of dual caliper brackets, a new diff mount and a hydraulic brake from when I was building my 1jz FC. Just looking to recoup some of the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
                              where in WA are you? Ive got a set of dual caliper brackets, a new diff mount and a hydraulic brake from when I was building my 1jz FC. Just looking to recoup some of the money.
                              Drifty boi thangz

Miro, are you running 93? maybe try an additive?
                              Last edited by Quillhill36; 11-16-2018, 08:48 PM.
                              2 328i e36's
                              Saabaru linear 2.5na
                              Various projects.
                              sigpic
                              Intro;

Comment

• Originally posted by barongan
                                good stuff brother!
                                thanks man!

Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
                                where in WA are you? Ive got a set of dual caliper brackets, a new diff mount and a hydraulic brake from when I was building my 1jz FC. Just looking to recoup some of the money.
                                few hours into the rural east from seattle/portland. don't think I'm interested in any of those parts, but thanks for the offer!

Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                                Miro, are you running 93? maybe try an additive?
                                yeah im on 93, dont believe in additives much but..... might dump some in just for u

Comment

Working...
                                X