No announcement yet.

1991 Mazda RX7 - From junk, to showcar in $3,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice retro bikes what kind is that yellow yamaha? is it 70's? what other bikes are out there?

Comment

• Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
      does this car still exist?
      do any of us really.... exist?....

Originally posted by AKToyotaluv View Post
      The pictures in the very beginning aren't opening for me!!! I wannnna see lol what's my problem with photos attached to threads that I'm not seeing here?
      should be fixed.

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
      This needs a title change.

"From working junk, to kind of working junk in $10,000"

All joking aside, I really wish this thread just didn't die out all of a sudden.

Originally posted by ilanpro View Post
      Nice retro bikes what kind is that yellow yamaha? is it 70's? what other bikes are out there?
      Do not look at the motorcycles!!!

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
      Dude I hope you write for a living because this is the most well-written internet car build thread I've ever seen
      Cool story and cool car (even if I'm one of those "don't take the rotary out of rx7s" guys LOL)
      Thanks man... I appreciate that. This car isn't about rotary or V8. It isn't even about it specifically being an RX7. What I'm trying to build, is an.... idea. I... see the insane builds on the internet, and know that will never be my car. For whatever reason, we all end up in different places of the world, with different skills, opportunities, and abilities. I'm just doing the best I can with what I can get my hands on. Even though this build has taken much longer and cost much more than I ever imagined, I continue on, because I dream of those quiet, late night drives, those wooded curvy roads, the hypnotic sensation of rolling through a lighted tunnel, merging off of an on-ramp, and so much more.

I'm trying to get more memories out of this car than I have had with anything else. I believe we have to create magic for ourselves. The magic that sets one photograph apart from a hundred others. That look, you'll never forget. Getting lost in thought, or sinking into your seat, and absorbing the heaviness of every sound and sensation. Its hard to take experiences we live every day and make them extraordinary, but I've done it before, and I intend to do it more. I don't think it is possible to make every single moment in life that way, but I know I can condition myself to appreciate some moments more than others. It is elusive, like most magical things. It's what makes us get lost in movies, or that weird thing that happens to us when we think of the ocean. You feel it, and just as you become aware of it, it vanishes. Some say you can learn to delay it.

Here is one of my favorite pieces of art:

I believe the business of our everyday lives clouds our mind with a buzzing, heated mess of worry, anxiety, fear and anger. We have felt this for so long, it has become a "constant". Meaning, it is a part of our experience. It is as much a part of the human experience, as the air we breathe, and the clothes on our back. However, I believe every man tries to draw away from that hectic atmosphere now and then. We go to a place where that noise disappears. Some go hiking, some ride motorcycles, some listen to music, some sail the sea. We all run away to a place where we can leave our chains behind. That's what I want.

Everything we do is a result of conditioning. If you can find a way to associate an object or action with slipping into the elusive state of escape, you will eventually condition yourself to achieve that feeling almost on demand. There used to be a road out in the country, that near sent me in a trance. I thought I was insane, till I took a passenger along the same road. At a certain speed, with the right kind of music playing and neither one of us speaking, she felt it too. She looked over at me wide-eyed, and I realized, it was real.

You've got to silence everything, just walk away from it all. That's what I'd like to accomplish. I want this RX7 to be my getaway car.

Last edited by Miroteknik; 04-09-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post

Thanks man... I appreciate that. This car isn't about rotary or V8. It isn't even about it specifically being an RX7. What I'm trying to build, is an.... idea. I... see the insane builds on the internet, and know that will never be my car. For whatever reason, we all end up in different places of the world, with different skills, opportunities, and abilities. I'm just doing the best I can with what I can get my hands on. Even though this build has taken much longer and cost much more than I ever imagined, I continue on, because I dream of those quiet, late night drives, those wooded curvy roads, the hypnotic sensation of rolling through a lighted tunnel, merging off of an on-ramp, and so much more.

I'm trying to get more memories out of this car than I have had with anything else. I believe we have to create magic for ourselves. The magic that sets one photograph apart from a hundred others. That look, you'll never forget. Getting lost in thought, or sinking into your seat, and absorbing the heaviness of every sound and sensation. Its hard to take experiences we live every day and make them extraordinary, but I've done it before, and I intend to do it more. I don't think it is possible to make every single moment in life that way, but I know I can condition myself to appreciate some moments more than others. It is elusive, like most magical things. It's what makes us get lost in movies, or that weird thing that happens to us when we think of the ocean. You feel it, and just as you become aware of it, it vanishes. Some say you can learn to delay it.

I believe the business of our everyday lives clouds our mind with a buzzing, heated mess of worry, anxiety, fear and anger. We have felt this for so long, it has become a "constant". Meaning, it is a part of our experience. It is as much a part of the human experience, as the air we breathe, and the clothes on our back. However, I believe every man tries to draw away from that hectic atmosphere now and then. We go to a place where that noise disappears. Some go hiking, some ride motorcycles, some listen to music, some sail the sea. We all run away to a place where we can leave our chains behind. That's what I want.

Everything we do is a result of conditioning. If you can find a way to associate an object or action with slipping into the elusive state of escape, you will eventually condition yourself to achieve that feeling almost on demand. There used to be a road out in the country, that near sent me in a trance. I thought I was insane, till I took a passenger along the same road. At a certain speed, with the right kind of music playing and neither one of us speaking, she felt it too. She looked over at me wide-eyed, and I realized, it was real.

You've got to silence everything, just walk away from it all. That's what I'd like to accomplish. I want this RX7 to be my getaway car.
        This, is quite possibly the best thing I have read on the internet to date.

thank you.
        Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
          This, is quite possibly the best thing I have read on the internet to date.

thank you.

Comment

• I lol'ed so hard at those GIFs !

BTW, good job, i wish you well on that build

Comment

• So... exhaust was done, but car wouldn't start. The starter just clicked like the battery was dead. I hooked up a bigger battery to it, but it would still click. It seemed I had a bad starter, and the exhaust also was super close to it, so there was also speculation that the heat had fried the electronics in the starter. This meant it was time to pull the exhaust. Because I was so anxious, impatient, and low-key losing my mind, I did not take any pics of the removal, purchase, or install of new starter. I do wish I had a photo of how I wrapped the new starter in this:

You know when you really want a good burrito so you head down to the taco truck and order one but when you get it and take a bite, and its contents start fallin out of the folds of the tortilla? Well there is also the opposite of that, a perfectly wrapped burrito. Clean, tight, snug, and uniform. This was how I wrapped my starter. NASA-grade quality, I assure you. Anyway I slapped that back in place, put the (cumbersome) exhaust back on, and jumped behind the wheel to fire it up. Nothing but clicks. It was midnight and I was drained in every way.

Also at some point got an OEM overflow tank cause the aftermarket stuff seemed ricey, I didn't find a great place to mount anything, this obviously fit perfect, and had manufacturer anime writing on it so duh

Next day I reluctantly started wondering what to do next. My battery was about 7 years old or so, and it hadn't been charged regularly, and it had been playing a lot of Lana Del Rey without the alternator's help, so maybe I need a new battery? Hit AutoZone with the credit card and nabbed another Optima red-top. Slapped it in the car, and BRO THE STARTING POWER HO HO HO HERE WE GO!

Buddy checks the cables going to the battery and says alternator isn't charging. WTF. I just want to drive the car now. I dont care how far. A mile, quarter mile, around the block. I just want to know it moves. Unfortunately, there was a heavy old Corvette behind my car, and last time it moved, it was pushed in with a tractor so it wasn't going anwhere that night. Oh well, I'll just get a new alternator and take care of the charging issue. Next few days I got a new alternator and remembered to take pics of it, so here it is.

Which is great and all, but the car STILL ISN'T CHARGING.

I looked at my buddy, he looked at me. He was done, and so was I.

Later that week I decided I had enough. The car technically ran as long as the battery was charged. This meant I could drive the car. It would be stupid and irresponsible, but I used to be pretty good at being stupid and irresponsible in my day. I figured it was time to go back to my old ways. I texted my buddy and told him I was coming to get the car this weekend, and that nothing would stop me. He realized I had lost my mind completely, so he promptly towed the Corvette out of the way knowing I was going to show up Friday night with dynomite, chains, and gasoline.

I showed up Friday night, to see this beautiful, beautiful sight.

Like a crazed lunatic I wasted no time. Pulled a few forgotten wrenches, sockets and rachcets from under the hood, slammed it shut, and hopped behind the wheel. The following occured in the hours of 7:00pm on the evening of Friday the 20'th of April, and continued until the evening of the 22nd.

Yea.... it finally happened. The day I've been waiting for so impatiently, for so long. I spent so much time dreaming about how it would be, and most of all, I was afraid that it would not meet my fantasy-esque expectations. When I thought of the car, it was always in slow motion. It was always dramatic. It was supposed to be different from any other car I have driven, and I have driven many, many cars. And guess what... it was.

This weekend was a blur. I don't know how many times I pulled it in and out of the garage, took it for rides, revved it, sat in it, stared at it, took pictures of it. If you were to look at my phone right now, youd see it full of hundreds of pictures, many different versions of mostly the same angle, then hundreds more of another angle. Most of you can relate to this. There are so many little things associated with finally driving the car, I can't list them all here. It took me 4 or 5 miles to find 6th gear, and I've driven manuals since before I had a license. I don't think I could have embraced this weekend in a bigger way. My brain is completely wrapped around this car. I am useless for anything else. My mind was racing the entire time. I was jumpy, loud, and wide-eyed. Hardly slept, ran out to the garage every few minutes just to check on something or just to make sure it was still there.

I'm too old to think this will never end, but I'll be tumbling head over heels for it till the rush dies out. I'm here to ride this roller coaster till the ride is through. I've been waiting in line for 8 years, and you're a damned fool if you think I'm not going to make the most of it.

Last edited by Miroteknik; 07-16-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• That is freakin' awesome man!

Did you ever get the charging issue figured out?
                And, whats the plan for the hood?
                Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• I am so damn happy to see this! Nice work and congratulations good sir.
                  IG: @sebastienaudeon
                  1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                  *pats Sebs head*
                  there there.
                  keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                    That is freakin' awesome man!

Did you ever get the charging issue figured out?
                    And, whats the plan for the hood?
                    Thanks man, its great to be this excited about something again. Its been a while.

No, still don't know whats going on with the charging issue. Have looked at some LS1 forums and there is talk about an "exciter" wire, and the ECM sending a 5 volt signal to kick on the alternator to charge. From what I understand, if the ECM does not send the signal, the alternator won't charge. I think that is the problem, since my ECM was also supposed to kick on my fan, and fuel pump, and it does neither. It could also be a disconnect somewhere in the wiring, but the wiring harness is complete, we did not cut any of the GM harness out, and it is all plugged into the ECM. I know the ECM is at least partly working though, cause the car will not run without it. So far, I believe my options are:

1. Find out why ECM isn't sending TURN ON signal to alternator
                    2. Wire in another alternator that is less wiring, and always charges
                    3. Wire a 5 volt power wire to the alternator that will force it on
                    4. Are there more options?

I have an extra Turbo II hood to use when I want to be sensible. Right now since the electric fan is not coming on, the engine overheats in traffic. I cut the hole out to help heat escape, but also to showcase my stupid engine. At some point I will cover the hole with either a plexiglass sheet, or mesh. Unfortunately for you, I actually love staring at the engine, so the current butchered hood may stay on for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                      I am so damn happy to see this! Nice work and congratulations good sir.
                      this one's for you mate

Comment

Thanks man, its great to be this excited about something again. Its been a while.

No, still don't know whats going on with the charging issue. Have looked at some LS1 forums and there is talk about an "exciter" wire, and the ECM sending a 5 volt signal to kick on the alternator to charge. From what I understand, if the ECM does not send the signal, the alternator won't charge. I think that is the problem, since my ECM was also supposed to kick on my fan, and fuel pump, and it does neither. It could also be a disconnect somewhere in the wiring, but the wiring harness is complete, we did not cut any of the GM harness out, and it is all plugged into the ECM. I know the ECM is at least partly working though, cause the car will not run without it. So far, I believe my options are:

1. Find out why ECM isn't sending TURN ON signal to alternator
                        2. Wire in another alternator that is less wiring, and always charges
                        3. Wire a 5 volt power wire to the alternator that will force it on
                        4. Are there more options?

I have an extra Turbo II hood to use when I want to be sensible. Right now since the electric fan is not coming on, the engine overheats in traffic. I cut the hole out to help heat escape, but also to showcase my stupid engine. At some point I will cover the hole with either a plexiglass sheet, or mesh. Unfortunately for you, I actually love staring at the engine, so the current butchered hood may stay on for a while.
                        There is a chance that if some of the chassis harness isn't being used the fans, fuel pump, alternator, etc. wont work because they are looking for ignition power which would come from the interior harness/ignition switch of the vehicle.

And I'm all for the hood cut, was just wondering how you would keep certain things dry if need be!
                        Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

this one's for you mate

Now this, this I can get around.
                          IG: @sebastienaudeon
                          1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                          *pats Sebs head*
                          there there.
                          keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                            There is a chance that if some of the chassis harness isn't being used the fans, fuel pump, alternator, etc. wont work because they are looking for ignition power which would come from the interior harness/ignition switch of the vehicle.

And I'm all for the hood cut, was just wondering how you would keep certain things dry if need be!
                            yoooo. I didn't think of that... Will see what I can find. Wonder if I can jump some connections in my harness to make it think the interior harness/ignition portion is there? I know I had to have a guy flash my ECM to kill the security shut-off function of the ECM, but he said what he did does not affect the alt, fuel pump, or any other engine accessories.

Oh yeah, wetness. I keep the car in a garage, so it should stay dry just fine. If I'm out and it rains, I'll hurl my worthless body over the engine and shield it from the rain.

Or this:

Last edited by Miroteknik; 04-23-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, wetness. I keep the car in a garage, so it should stay dry just fine. If I'm out and it rains, I'll hurl my worthless body over the engine and shield it from the rain. Or something.
                              Actually, I have kind of the same problem in my mk1 as the intake trumpets are just under the vents in the hood so when it rains air escaping the vents pulls water from under and carbs suck it inside...I drive it only in good weather but for emergency times (aka it suddenly starts to pour) I keep a roll of blue tape in the glovebox and proceed to tape the vents shut with it. Sure your hood has a lot bigger hole in it but you may just need a lot bigger tape roll LOL

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                                Actually, I have kind of the same problem in my mk1 as the intake trumpets are just under the vents in the hood so when it rains air escaping the vents pulls water from under and carbs suck it inside...I drive it only in good weather but for emergency times (aka it suddenly starts to pour) I keep a roll of blue tape in the glovebox and proceed to tape the vents shut with it. Sure your hood has a lot bigger hole in it but you may just need a lot bigger tape roll LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X