Perhaps a shot in the dark...but still worth a shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps a shot in the dark...but still worth a shot

Does anyone here happen to have any of these bolts they'd be willing to part with?

I'm in search of some stainless M6 12-point flange bolts for reassembling my SSR made 18" Koenig Specials. I was able to retained, refurbish, and reuse 118 of the original 120 bolts. One has stripped threads that could likely be repaired with a die, but the other was overtorqued and sheared in the reassembly process. The bolts I've got have the small spherical indention in the top of the cap.

I've contacted several reputable wheel restoration guys (Memory Fab, Rotiform, Independent Wheel, etc.) with no luck. I've also checked the typical online fastener houses (McMaster Car, Allen's Fasteners, Bolt Depot, Pertsch & Partner, etc.) with no luck. I've visited local industrial fastener suppliers as well, but guess what...no luck.

What makes these unique is not just the fact that they are M6 12pt flanged in stainless, but they also have a washer face on the back of the flange. I think my only option may be to replicate these or cannibalize another set of well kept OG Koenig Specials...but those are few and far between.

Photos of the bolt in question are below...

Untitled by Brandon Bergeron, on Flickr

Any help you can provide is much appreciated it.
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."
    Sir Henry Royce, Rolls-Royce Motor Co.

I might have these. I might have some to spare.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
      I might have these. I might have some to spare.
      That would be awesome! Keep me posted.
      "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Comment

So, M6 12pt flanged 25MM UHL.
        Would these not work? http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/770-10...ductId=1635462

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Like I mentioned in my post, I'm really just trying to replace one or two of them. Those would work great, but they don't match. My current bolts have an impression in the head of the bolt. Options open up tremendously if I wanted to replace all 120 of the bolts. I was considering going with ARP in the beginning, but these were in such good condition I just decided to reuse them. Replacing 1 out of 120 with that bolt would just (to me anyway) be more noticeable of a difference than I'd want.
          Last edited by silvrbreez; 02-10-2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Ok, I see. If you cant source a replacement, you could machine/drill the top of the bolt to match yours.

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
              Ok, I see. If you cant source a replacement, you could machine/drill the top of the bolt to match yours.
              Now that's an idea. Hmm... Wonder what a capable machine shop would charge for that?

Comment

Originally posted by silvrbreez View Post
                Now that's an idea. Hmm... Wonder what a capable machine shop would charge for that?
                $5? Or DIY, drill press and vise.
                I may have a couple of those ARP's. I'll post in this thread later.

***Mine are 20mm UHL.
                Last edited by zoo; 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM.

Comment

$5? Or DIY, drill press and vise.
                  I may have a couple of those ARP's. I'll post in this thread later.

***Mine are 20mm UHL.
                  Thanks for checking man. Ends up I may have a lead on something from the guys at Rotiform and/or Wheelflip.

Comment

you could machine/drill the top of the bolt to match yours.
                    Beat me to it. Grind flat and hit it with a ball nose end mill. Easy and inexpensive.

Comment

if you have the sheered head you could weld on a new threaded shank. I don't know if I would torque it all the way though.
                      I'd consider that if I were in your spot. tig weld and clean up with a file. it'd take less than a 1/2 hr to do 2.

Comment

Thanks Crankey. I'd considered that but the shear is actually in the threaded body. I could rethread it with a die, but I wasn't sure I could keep the bolt aligned straight during welding and I'm pretty sure the torque would be reduced like you mentioned.

I've got a few zinc coated BBS bolts that should be arriving today. We'll see how they compare and how noticeably different they are. Might just run those and eventually go with all new ARP stainless replacement hardware.

Comment

you can use a section of another threaded bolt shaft to keep threads aligned, tac weld, then full weld. then clean up with a file and run a die nut.
                          or if you can get a metric coupling nut and cut it in half on a band saw...then lay the bolts in the nut and weld.

the zinc bolts will be steel and not stainless I'd guess.

one bolt per wheel with under spec torque wouldn't be the end of the world I'd think. but miss matched bolt heads would be annoying to me too.

I bought a set of new SS bolts from Tunershop for my RF's and...I dunno, they don't look the same. the flange is slightly larger and they don't have the BBS raised letters. it bugs me. just another reason to procrastinate on wheel assembly.

Comment

Yeah. I'm certain my perfectionism will come out and I'll end up replacing all the bolts with new ARP stainless bolts for consistency. We'll see how these BBS zinc coated steel bolts with the raised letters and dimpled head compare to the OG SSR stainless bolts with no letters and dimpled head. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm the only one who'll notice, BUT the fact that I'll still notice will likely be enough for me to want to replace them all.

Comment

yeah...ultimatly I buy wheels to satisfy myself...so it's too bad I don't get to see em rolling me around much. but you will be the only guy that knows or cares. that's enough reason to make them right, whatever that may be.

Comment

Working...
                              X