Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Film Thread

Thought this might be a bit of fun for us that still shoot film..if anyone still does!

At the moment I have a Canon A1 with a couple lenses. Hoping to pick up another film camera this year - What does everyone shoot with?

Guess I'll start

I shoot a lot of film, mostly all medium format and mostly on the RZ.
    RZ67 PROII (6x7 and 6x6 backs, 50 f4.5, 110 f2.8, 180 f4.5)
    Recently sold my 645AF kit
    Pentax 67
    F100
    Rollei 35

NRkeysar001030-R2-E018.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr

NRkeysar001030-R3-E022.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr

NRkeysar000529-R1-070-33A.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr

NRkeysar000529-R5-E004.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr

CCkeysar000108-R3-E028.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr

CCkevsar000103-R2-E022.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr

NRkeysar001213-R2-E011.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr

CCkevsar000103-R10-E107.jpg by KeysarPhoto, on Flickr
    Last edited by gdogg16; 01-24-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Wow, those are awesome man.

My college has a medium format camera, I've never had a chance to use it yet though. Will need to give it a go sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Minuki View Post
    Wow, those are awesome man.

My college has a medium format camera, I've never had a chance to use it yet though. Will need to give it a go sometime
    Nows the time to buy rz systems. Contax 645 are stupid expensive. Mamiya 645af systems are still affordable, Pentax systems are still cheap too. Best value IMO is the rz right now though. Plus it has the 110 2.8 and 180 4.5 lenses, two of the greatest lenses ever.

I will look into them, man. I've been wanting to get a new film camera for a while now

Nice work, guys. I have a strong admiration for people that have skills with film. As someone that took up an interest in photography as a hobby after digital had all but taken over it's cool to see people still using film and producing great shots with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Nice work, guys. I have a strong admiration for people that have skills with film. As someone that took up an interest in photography as a hobby after digital had all but taken over it's cool to see people still using film and producing great shots with it.
    More people should shoot film. The current stocks from kodak are amazing. The best films ever made are being made RIGHT NOW. Digital cant touch the lattitude that portra stocks have now. Underexpose a roll by 2-3 stops? No big deal, just push it 2-3 stops. It'll look great. Over expose it by 3 stops? No big deal, develop as is. It'll look great.There are so many pro's to shooting film and the only cons right now are costs of film and development/scans. You're looking at 8 bucks a roll of 120 plus 18-19 bucks in processing and scanning. So $26 a roll. What that means is, it forces you to slow down, think about what you're doing, and really think about the shot you want and the composition you want. No spray and pray with film.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg16 View Post
    More people should shoot film. The current stocks from kodak are amazing. The best films ever made are being made RIGHT NOW. Digital cant touch the lattitude that portra stocks have now. Underexpose a roll by 2-3 stops? No big deal, just push it 2-3 stops. It'll look great. Over expose it by 3 stops? No big deal, develop as is. It'll look great.There are so many pro's to shooting film and the only cons right now are costs of film and development/scans. You're looking at 8 bucks a roll of 120 plus 18-19 bucks in processing and scanning. So $26 a roll. What that means is, it forces you to slow down, think about what you're doing, and really think about the shot you want and the composition you want. No spray and pray with film.
    More people should shoot film, definitely. It's like you said, the processing costs are putting most people off.

I'm lucky enough to be able to develop my HP5/FP4 at college for free and I have a friend who gets my colour stuff processed quite cheap - That being said, it could be better, as sometimes the files look a little strange..it's like pixelation almost.

Awesome set man, tones are unreal!

I just got a few rolls of HP5 back, just need to get a scanner so I can get them on here.

Default Film all kinds of film

I started shooting film last year with my dads old Pentax MX, and recently bought the Nikon F100 and have tried a coupple of films with that, and its great, I love it! I`ve tried alot of different films to see what I like, here are some of the shots i`ve done on film

cobra by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

dhb 3 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

dhb 5 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

dhb 7 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

dhb 16 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

ektar100 (4) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

ektar100 (11) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

ektar100 (27) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

ektar100 (30) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

ektar100 (31) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

ektar100 (33) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Gatebil 1 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Gatebil 2 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Gatebil 9 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Gatebil 10 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Gatebil Vålerbanen 1 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Gatebil Vålerbanen 3 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Granada i verksted 3 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Granada i verksted 1 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (4) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (9) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (11) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (20) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (22) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (25) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (31) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (36) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Illford hp5 (37) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Jarnes drift trike by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Kaizers 14 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Pappa og Jake by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

pc hjemme 1 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

R64 10 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

racing NM 2 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

StanceWorks BMW + 200sx by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

tmax400 (10) by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Trackday rudskogen 1 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Trackday rudskogen 2 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

Trackday rudskogen 5 by SMydlandPhoto, on Flickr

What black and white film stocks are those? Great stuff! Love the shot of the water marker.

The B&W are a mixture of hp5s and tmax400s, those who look more "flat" with less contrast are tmax400s and the contrasty once are hp5s I like the hp5s better than the tmax400s.. they vary a bit too because I was trying alot of different things to try and perfect my scanning process. I want to try some tri-x400, I think that will be the B&w film for me, though I have yet to get a roll and try it!

So what scanners is everyone using?

The three pictures of my dad working on rearaxle stuff is taken with hp5 and pushed to iso 1600, It was just an experiment, as I had never tried pushing film.

I was so inspired by Larry Chens film posts on speedhunters so I asked him what scanner he was using, and atm he was using a plustek 8200i scanner, so I bought one, and its been working great, exept for it beeing painfully slow. People praise the nikon coolscan scanners, but even though they are no longer beeing made, a used scanner was still over my budget, still want one though

Quote Originally Posted by SMydlanPhoto View Post
    I was so inspired by Larry Chens film posts on speedhunters so I asked him what scanner he was using, and atm he was using a plustek 8200i scanner, so I bought one, and its been working great, exept for it beeing painfully slow. People praise the nikon coolscan scanners, but even though they are no longer beeing made, a used scanner was still over my budget, still want one though
    The plustek is a little out of my price range at the moment. Ideally I would like to get something for around half that

I use an epsonV500, or I have all my stuff scanned on fuji frontiers only.

The pictures you posted look sooo good! I think it might be the best quality photos ive ever seen wich was scanned from film. If it you had posted them and claimed them to be digital I wouldt have given it a second thought at all!

yeah the plustek might be a bit pricy, but the place I deliver my films for development can scan the negs for me, thats 16dollars per film, so I figured It would be cheaper in the long run to buy a scanner. Its just the way it is here, I cant find shops that do it mutch cheaper anyway. last time I got a batch of 5 films from development it cost me 96dollars, and thats just developing and sending it back to me, if you include buying film and sending it you could easily doubble the price...

So yeah film is expensive, but I`ll still do it

The epson seems a bit more reasonable. There's one on eBay at the moment, gonna keep an eye on it

Quote Originally Posted by Minuki View Post
    The epson seems a bit more reasonable. There's one on eBay at the moment, gonna keep an eye on it
    Look for used v700's.

It costs me roughly $18.00 a roll for dev and scan.

how mutch is it for developement where you live? or do you do it yourself ?

wish i had prices like that

What is a good first camera to film? I haven't taken any photography classes, but I am planning on learning on my own. How did you guys learn how to edit and film? I'm still a high school kid, so I am looking for a low cost camera. Some guy told me that I should just start with my phone and shoot pics and/ or films with my phone (galaxy s4) until I get the hang of it, and then buy a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ggencoupefan View Post
    What is a good first camera to film? I haven't taken any photography classes, but I am planning on learning on my own. How did you guys learn how to edit and film? I'm still a high school kid, so I am looking for a low cost camera. Some guy told me that I should just start with my phone and shoot pics and/ or films with my phone (galaxy s4) until I get the hang of it, and then buy a camera.
    Buy a dslr, learn the fundamentals of photography on that. Then shoot film.