Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 M535i from Finland - The project that got out of hand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car had oil pressure issues after the dyno session, turned out that oil pump was shot. The oil pressure regulator valve stem was sticking and left the valve open at times.
    Ordered a new pump from germany and swapped it. No more oil pressure problems.

A pic from yesterday:

I think ill have to start to think about arranging a photoshoot..

-Timo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mushroom Motorsport - Performance since 2003

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Got myself another shark nose :

BMW 735 -85iA, got few ideas what to do to this one..

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Let us know if you start another thread. And congrats!
        1991 BMW E30 325i Touring

Comment

• You should clean your camera lens more often
          Lucas
          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
          Originally posted by LCG
          High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grime View Post
            Let us know if you start another thread. And congrats!
            Yep, will be doing that! Thanks!
            Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
            You should clean your camera lens more often
            Camera lens has too many scratches, sony z1 FTW!!

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Time for a update.
              -------------------------------------------------------
              Took the car out of storage in beginning of april and did some minor maintenance.

Ordered surge tank from 034 Motorsport as the car suffered from fuel starvation when cornering hard (read: doing donuts.. ):
              F34 Assembled BACKORDERED: Orders placed today will hold your spot in line for the next available units, ETA to be confirmed 034Motorsport is proud to offer the FP34 - the most advanced Bosch 044 fuel pump installation solution available. This beautifully-designed surge tank fully encloses a Bosch 044 fuel pump inside a 1 liter reservoir, and allows for flexible mounting location while ensuring optimal flow. PLEASE NOTE: FP34 Fitting Kits (AN or Nipple Connection) are available separately below. An extra steel M12 adapter is included to account for discrepancies in aftermarket pump lengths. Use the adapter that best works for your pump length to allow a proper fit in the FP34 housing.

Had to make a new bracket for the surge tank and filter. Whole combo sits in the original place:

Just after MOT:

In the beginning of may it was time for our annual trip to Levi skicenter. Nice road trip, drove about 2400kms (~1400miles)

After the trip:

-------------------------------------------------------

BimmerParty -16 was held last weekend in Kalajoki Finland and I attended also.

I planned to take part in 1mile and 1/4mile competition, the 1mile was cancelled due to rain.
              As for the 1/4mile, the car has way too long gears for it, im crossing the finish line on third gear. Best time i got was 13.694@175km/h (~109mph).

A friend of mine shot some screens:

More pics and videos here: http://mushroommotorsport.kuvat.fi/k...merParty+2016/

The car has worked without any major issues and ive driven over 7000km (~4350miles) this year already.

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Looking great!

Comment

• A little update of end of 2016 summer and year 2017.

In august 2016 drove to Nürburgring with a friend. First we took a ferry to Stockholm Sweden, from there we drove south to Germany through Denmark.

Couldnt fill up at this station:

Car overheated and a water hose burst in Hamburg traffic jam:

Hotel at the Ring:

Checking out other cars before my own laps:

Drove three laps in total:

A view from hotel room terrace:

Realised that there is F1 race at nearby track of Spa Francorchamps, couldnt miss that:

Few cases of refreshments from Travemünde harbour the way home:

Car developed a little missfire during the trip, something broke slightly from the driveline and the water hose burst, other than those the trip was a blast.

After i got home started to investigate what broke in the driveline:

Driveshaft joint had given up..

Replaced the tank with a new one, old one leaked around the pump bracket:

Changed the ECU from Haltech E6X to E11v.2 (have had the E11 sitting for 10years, bought it for other project)

--------------------------------------------
                  Year 2017 (turned out to be a catastrophe):

Home trigger from cam:

Started to install the stereo system:

At the first startup with the new ECU the engine backfired few times and bent the chain tensioner.
                  When i started to change the timing chain and tensioner i found out that the engine had had vibrations which had caused damages.
                  Crankshaft, flywheel and damper were shot..

Tear down the engine and replace broken parts with new ones. I used a S38B36 crank for the new setup:

TDC mark had to be moved a little (using S38B36 crank with M30 damper):

When inspecting the head, i found out that the valve train had worn also:

Luckily i had almost new CatCams cam lying around. Rocker arms had to be ground.

I swapped the valve spring to Schrick ones as i think the PPF stg1 springs might be little too stiff..

Engine back in its place:

Dynorun after rebuild gave 496PS/720Nm (531lb ft):

The car didnt idle at all and off throttle behaviour was not good.

Still drove the car few times:

(c) Mai Puttonen

Ordered new injectors and focused in setting up the idle valve, after few days i got the car to work as i wanted.

Had to extend the water outlet from the thermostat as the accessory belt kept hitting it..

Drove to Vantaa cruising in August for a little hooning around:

For some reason power steering pump belt kept turning upside down, one time the belt took out the trigger sensor also:

Changed the power steering pump to another one and the problem was cured..

265km/h (165mph) at standing mile (Lappeenranta airport) 1/4mile ET was 13.056

A week from that the gearbox gave up, probably 2nd gear teeth are missing.

Lousy season came to end, only 2000km's driven.

Found a ZF GS6-53BZ gearbox out of E63 645Ci from Latvia, should be good for around 1000Nm

Bellhousing had to be modified to fit M30 engine, Lensu Power Shop did the mod. The front part of the gearbox housing was also swapped from I6 engine gearbox as the bellhousing from back of V8 engine is way too wide to be used in I6 engine.

New gearbox is slightly longer than the original, so driveshaft has to be shortened again, also shifter has to be build from scratch as does the gearbox rear mount.

Bought some parts for the swap.

-Timo
                  Last edited by cossie; 01-16-2018, 02:28 AM.

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• I give you credit for sticking with this build! Gives the rest of us some motivation.

Comment

• What has happened since last post..

Modded the gear lever bracket and selector rod to suit longer gearbox:

Got the car from winter storage in april and started to fit the new gearbox:

Drive shaft was shortened by local machine shop, i think its 3rd or 4th version already..:

The gearbox install wasnt as bolt-on as i had hoped. Had to get violent with the tunnel. Nothing that a bottle jack and sledgehammer wouldnt fix, covered the "sins" with fresh coat of spraypaint:

Gearbox and driveshaft in place, next up gearbox mount:

After few failed attempts, i managed to create this:

Of course the exhaust had to be modified also:

I had decided to remake the motormounts as the 720Nm torque moves the engine quite a bit. One of the exhaust manifolds has already bashed a dent on the framerail:

Drivers side mount is still unfinished. After i get that done, i have to drop the crossmember for welding, gusseting and painting.
                      Hoping to get the car on the road in couple of weeks

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

• Got a S38B36 crank from germany:

Have been thinking about rebuilding the engine with forged internals, but using as much as possible from the old setup (complete head, exhaust manifolds, flywheel and clutch etc.)

Some of the planned mods:
                        -H-profile con rods and forged pistons
                        -Probably M30B30 block slightly over bored., to get thicker cylinder walls.
                        -Oil spray nozzles for pistons
                        -Biggest TD04 turbos available.

----------------------------------------------
                        Motormount for drivers side:

-Timo

My E28 M535 project..

Comment

Working...
                        X