Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Easy Slider z32 missile

I love updates on this build.

Dude, holy shit! I just read the entire thread and I absolutely applaud you!

My only qualm is with the soldering on the wire harness. Soldering does not belong on a vehicle. Some may call me out for nitpicking but it could potentially lead to more issues that require a lot of time and digging to rectify.

Quoting myself here from another thread:

One word of recommendation though, solder does not belong in a car. Proper crimp and splice connections will out live and out perform solder in a vehicle. Use proper adhesive lined heat shrink butt crimps with a good crimping tool. Always give the wires the tug test before shrinking down the connectors. If it fails the tug test, then the connection must be redone. A proper crimp is stronger than the wire its self.

Only place solder should be used is in PCB boards. Wires should be crimp only.

The rigidity of a solder connection can fail and crack due to vibrations and heat cycles.
    Instagram: @Eurow

The craftsmanship and engineering and tools are just amazing... but it just seems so over the top excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by proboner View Post
    ... but it just seems so over the top excessive.
    That's not a bad thing. If the car was built to handle 300whp and you used it at 300whp then you would be maxing out the capabilities and abilities of the engine, chassis, safety, etc. If the car was built to handle 600whp and used only at 300whp then you have a margin for safety and potential for future work. My numbers are purely for example but it helps show the concept.

I'd much rather over build and be at 60-80% duty cycle on parts and chassis then be pushing 100% and straining everything all the time.
    Instagram: @Eurow

updates?
    Last edited by ItsaCorolla; 06-14-2018 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyRa View Post
    Dude, holy shit! I just read the entire thread and I absolutely applaud you!

My only qualm is with the soldering on the wire harness. Soldering does not belong on a vehicle. Some may call me out for nitpicking but it could potentially lead to more issues that require a lot of time and digging to rectify.

Quoting myself here from another thread:

This is great and correct advice which I concur.
    I work on large mining machines. Often under spec'ed wires fracture. Then they are soldered repaired. The solder, without exception, will again fracture in surprisingly short time. This failure manifests as bizarre and misleading electrical faults. We now don't solder anymore. We use straight crimps with heat shrink properties to seal it up after.

Also waiting for updates on this amazing build...

What happened to this thread? Just read the whole thing and want MOAR

Firstly I am going to say I have not touched the Z in a hell of a long time

DSC00969 by tom maloy, on Flickr

I have many things I still want to do to this

DSC01005 by tom maloy, on Flickr

It does run currently, so that's a plus

DSC00963 by tom maloy, on Flickr

DSC00023 by tom maloy, on Flickr

Its not much but I decided to post some photos of the little bastard from over the last few months

DSC01064 by tom maloy, on Flickr

I have been busy with my other project, and this has been put on the back burner

DSC00980 by tom maloy, on Flickr

My M5 needed "maintenance", this has taken a bit longer than expected (I have started another build on here and I think you would enjoy it, http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...M5-revitalized)

DSC00985 by tom maloy, on Flickr

That is a wrap for now, hopefully soon I can get back to the Z and do the rest of the cool stuff

DSC08543 by tom maloy, on Flickr

It just clicked that you are the same person that is building this Z as well as the M5 in the other thread. I frequently visit your threads and enjoy the attention to detail. Keep it up!

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Tate is offline Ramen Noodle Aficionado StanceWorks Regular

I was about to get so salty if this thread was bumped without a post from OP. Still love your attention to detail man.