Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitted E28 BC Coilovers Won't Go Low Enough

Hi guys,

I know a few people on here run BC coilovers in E28s. I fitted 1 rear BC BR coilover to mine today to test out heights. But i after winding them down till it bottoms out in the sleeve/housing they still sit heaps higher than they did with cutties, only just tucking tyre on stock rims.

Going off all the photos online, these should sit heaps lower surely?

Should i contact BC or is this as low as they should go?

These are taken on there lowest setting...

There add shows them to go this low, no where near my height. What do people reckon?

Thanks heaps
    Eden
    Last edited by epearce; 12-02-2013, 04:27 AM.

If the lower collar is threaded all the way up that's as low as they'll go without dodgy mods. BC do do some "extreme drop", shorter springs, you could ask for them...

It does look like it's not threaded all the way in though... that'd be a pretty long shock body if it is

Comment

if you only threw one rear on, that hight is alittle deceptive. If you install the other one and drop it all the way it should make it sit alittle lower all together in the back. But regardless its hard to believe the shock body it threaded all the way down. Otherwise yeah I heard BC makes the "extreme drop" kit

Comment

It is definitely threaded till it bottoms out. I double checked it against the coilover that hasn't been fitted.

The other side is lower on cut springs, so that won't make much difference.

They would be perfect for a 4x4 spec e28....

Comment

I have BC on my 28 and I was tucking a 17x9 with a 205/40 I had to raise it a 1/4 - 1/2" to stop destroying my rims. I only adjusted the shock body all the way down... adjust the preload by lowering the spring to drop it more.. my .02
          Follow on IG
          amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
          Vintage AME Wheels
          RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
          W115 & W123

Comment

Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore View Post
            I have BC on my 28 and I was tucking a 17x9 with a 205/40 I had to raise it a 1/4 - 1/2" to stop destroying my rims. I only adjusted the shock body all the way down... adjust the preload by lowering the spring to drop it more.. my .02
            So from what your saying yours go lower than mine by just adjusting the shock body?

I'd rather not adjust preload yet, as it will still sit way too high.

Comment

So you undid the bottom single gold locking collar ring, moved it up out of the way towards the springs and threaded the bottom black mount sleeve all the way up and then tightened the gold locking collar ring again?

Still don't believe it's at the lowest setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
                So you undid the bottom single gold locking collar ring, moved it up out of the way towards the springs and threaded the bottom black mount sleeve all the way up and then tightened the gold locking collar ring again?

Still don't believe it's at the lowest setting.
                Yes i did exactly that.

I first did it with them fitted to the car and wound them down by putting the c spanner on the top ring and turning the whole assembly. It then stopped turning which i thought was strange. So i got the other one out of the box and wound them by hand to see what the go was. Turns out they strut assembly was touching the bottom of the sleeve.

Photos as proof:

Last edited by epearce; 12-03-2013, 04:28 AM.

Comment

BC likes to change up their kits a lot and their assembly process isn't the best, try calling them up and confirming that they're the correct lengths, and if they are, express your unhappiness with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                    BC likes to change up their kits a lot and their assembly process isn't the best, try calling them up and confirming that they're the correct lengths, and if they are, express your unhappiness with them.
                    Currently waiting for them to get back to me with lengths. Hopefully they are wrong otherwise I'll be sending them back anyway as they are no good to me.

Comment

Yeah you need a 25mm shorter spring and at least a 25mm shorter strut. It's a shame because BC really does make a great product but they just don't do enough R&D on their applications.

I've had them on my Camry for 3 years, no blown struts or seized hardware. I ordered an Extreme Low kit and still needed to order 150mm springs in front. They came with 180mm originally.

Definitely should have ordered the extreme low kit, which is what that e28 probably has in their promo pic.
                      My car isn't stanced, just low

Instagram: @therealjetplane for day to day shit with the car

Comment

Originally posted by t3chnique View Post
                        Yeah you need a 25mm shorter spring and at least a 25mm shorter strut. It's a shame because BC really does make a great product but they just don't do enough R&D on their applications.

I've had them on my Camry for 3 years, no blown struts or seized hardware. I ordered an Extreme Low kit and still needed to order 150mm springs in front. They came with 180mm originally.

Definitely should have ordered the extreme low kit, which is what that e28 probably has in their promo pic.
                        Your right about the extreme low kit in the promo pic, they told me that was the case yesterday. They failed to tell me that however when i was looking at buying them.

Hopefully they fix their mistake and i don't have to foot the bill.

Comment

Glad to know about this extreme low kit. Why would anyone want the regular one?
                          DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                          E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Originally posted by los02 View Post
                            Glad to know about this extreme low kit. Why would anyone want the regular one?
                            Pretty much!

Talked to the place i bought them off today, and apparently its sorted at no cost to me. I should have the extreme low kit in about a weeks time. Hopefully it is low enough!!

Comment

Nice to see it being sorted! Post up some pics when you get it down

Comment

Working...
                              X