E36 not starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 not starting problems

Hey everyone, so my 1996 BMW 318is E36 didn't start the other day.
    I drove it to work, cold start, no problem. 9 hours later I go to my car to drive home, the car doesn't start.
    Battery is new and charged. I recently had an issue, replaced the camshaft positioning sensor, fixed the problem. The sparkplugs are maybe 2 months old.
    The only CEL code I got was for an O2 sensor, but I'll check again in the morning. But that code has been there.
    I'm a bit confused on what to check next. I'm also confused on some terminology on explaining what it's doing.
    It seems to be cranking, sounds like it's going to start, but it never picks its self up, and "cranks" for like 8 seconds then stops. It sounded like my fuel pump was working, but I'd have to recheck.
    Check out the photography thread
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32676

Maybe immo?

Try to borrow an ECU from someone and replace it.

Comment

some quick checks for you

A(fuel)-after not starting do you smell fuel?-if so your getting fuel, skip to B !

if not try to see if you hear the fuel pump .if not ,repeatedly hit the gas tank near the fuel pick up from underneath while cranking it.

B-check your plugs-see if plugs are wet after trying to start. sometimes during a cold start, if the engine doesnt start within the first few seconds the fuel floods the cylinders and the piston rings loose thier seal and you have no compression. or the plugs are too wet to actually fire. if this is the case maybe try a little oil in the cylinders, crank it over,let it sit for a while and try to start it again.

C) you could check to see if the plugs are firing- if not- and everything above has been done-id be looking at the crank sensor but thats kinda jumping to conclusions.

you cant rely on codes to fix these situations usually

Comment

Check the fuel pump go right down the line. I've also had issues with relays such as the DME/Fuel pump relays. Start small then work your way up to things like the computer. Very rarely have I seen a computer completely shet the bed on an e36. Pull the back seat and when you turn the key you should definitely hear a semi-loud whining noise from the pump. If no noise check to make sure it's getting power. If it's getting power and won't turn... bad pump. If it's not getting any power check the fuel pump relay. If it still isn't getting power move on to the DME relay. Post up some updates.

Comment

Working...
        X