No announcement yet.

mk3 gti and an e21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tucked my front bumper today.**I just drilled out the shocks.**I really want to tuck it a bit more with some cutting and welding the mounts and cutting the bumper to slim it down.

mocking up my kamei side skirts and hermans spoiler.**The front kit is just for fun.**I may paint it to see how it looks, or maybe not.**I was thinking of cutting off the top "bumper" section and using it with just my iS front spoiler or my bbs front spoiler.**Not sure.**Or I may just tuck the stock bumper more

what I was thinking if I trimmed the bronze bumper and just used the upper portion for a clean slim bumper look

Comment

I tucked my front bumper today. I just drilled out the shocks. I really want to tuck it a bit more with some cutting and welding the mounts and cutting the bumper to slim it down.

mocking up my kamei side skirts and hermans spoiler. The front kit is just for fun. I may paint it to see how it looks, or maybe not. I was thinking of cutting off the top "bumper" section and using it with just my iS front spoiler or my bbs front spoiler. Not sure. Or I may just tuck the stock bumper more

what I was thinking if I trimmed the bronze bumper and just used the upper portion for a clean slim bumper look
      Last edited by mk3f.t.w.; 05-22-2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

IMG_5648.jpg
        starting a new project

Comment

um wow. realized i haven't updated a good chunk of the bmws life with me in this thread. anyway here is is for sale. And gti is the same, and the new harlequin. Much excite and thanks to the SB friends for the help.

I pretty much was flipping through a PVW magazine at work and told a coworker how it would be cool to have a harli. He said he knows where one is. We set up a Saturday to go stalk it. We met up and took the hour drive north and found the car where he saw it years ago. I figured I would leave a note and nothing would happen. I knocked, talked to the owners partner, and left a note with him. The owner called back and said he is willing to sell. He has had multiple offers and people stalking the car, and people have offered more money, but I was in the right place, right time and he liked me. Randall sold the harli for dirt cheap knowing what he had and current prices. Such a nice old man. I scrambled for money selling car parts and posting cars lol (thanks fam for helping). Now I am happy to own the car, and will slowly clean it up. Its still an old golf from SF with 175k so it needs some tlc, and then maybe coils and wheels soonish, while i wait for the right timing to do the mk5 r32 swap i have stashed. Still need to sell the bmw and gti first to move things along and regain car parking sanity.

A harlequin with my dream 3 piece schmidts and r32 swap has already been built. Almost exactly how i pictured mine. I guess i will use this as motivation for twinning?
          Last edited by mk3f.t.w.; 10-09-2017, 01:08 AM.

Comment

So, I got the rusty hatch off and put on the "new" one and fixed up the plate tub, so I no longer have duct tape all over the hatch from the PO. Also, the two rear door rub strips are re-installed. The PO had the super glued and spray foamed on so it was a battle to clean it all off. I need to go in and re-epoxy one more stud that broke off during install, and I have a new badge and wiper hole plug on the way

IMG_5996 by kevin kleine, on Flickr

IMG_5995 by kevin kleine, on Flickr

IMG_6005 by kevin kleine, on Flickr

IMG_6085 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
            IMG_6088 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
            IMG_6090 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
            IMG_6089 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
            IMG_6091 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
            IMG_6095 by kevin kleine, on Flickr

Comment

The timing belt was terrifying on this car. I do have the 3.2, but that will be a slow process for me. Baby on the way. I am surprised the belt made it this long. The tensioner was almost completely seized and howling/crunching.

All 3 cars parked by each other. My gti and the wifes mazda 3. In SF thats a rare thing when it comes to street parking.

In San Francisco having a parking spot or a garage is not the norm. Most of my work is done in the street. I'm very grateful for my frined Pete who has his tools at home now and a garage he lets me use sometimes.

Next on the list is the brakes. They are terrifying and very mushy, bad pads, lots of travel, and drums. They are very high on my list to fix up, and to fix the moaning wheel bearing. Im lucky my friend at work is a machinist who can help me make my dual drilled setup. ABA hubs so I wount have to convert all the parts, and g60 280mm rotors that have the right top hat height.

Snagged a disc rear spindle, mk4 caliper and mk3 carrier. I can run this disc for now if I want but i might just go straight to 5 lug 280mm kit.

I removed my B&G coilovers and banchwerks drop plates. Both will need some tlc before going onto the harli. I put together a cup kit for the gti since i threw away my old suspension long ago. I found the springs for $60 and the bilsteins for free, and the bushing kit from uro tuning.

I have flares and texture trim to clean up the gti a lil before selling. I need to wrap the hood too.

I wish it was sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I finally had a minute to swap out my alarm module and tried to program my remote. Unfortunately, I think the control module is finicky and I need another. Sometimes it would program sometime not. Sometimes unlock the car sometimes not. I never got it to lock the car.

I thought it might have been a faulty latch, but all my latches turn the dome light on and off correctly and don't freak out like a bad microswitch in the latch. Also when feeling the control module sometimes it would click and read the key fob and send the signal to the vacuum pump other times not. And I tested the key fob with my 98 gti and it works consistently.

Comment

Some parts showed up. Trying to build a complete set of abt lights. My outers are cracked so I might do the e34 projector retrofit.

Any idea on what’s the best way to repair the mounting tabs?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...-E34-projectors
                  This thread is pretty interesting

personal inspiration for abt lights

Comment

Pumped for these lil nic nacs

Comment

• Got these from vrclowncar

Here is his car with em

also got some early euro bubble buttons

I need to repair the one led inside the AC norm/max button. I want to make my stuff all lit like a mk4 so I want to use 3.5 Cabrio stuff and convert some early euro bits to red and blue lit.

Comment

• So I finished the AC switch today. It took a lot of tinkering but figured it out. Stuf like this is good for dad duty while my son sleeps. Im stoked. Early euro bubble buttons with later mk3.5 cabrio style lighting.

Removed the bulbs. One was burned out.

Had to desolder some connections to remove the board. Then soldered in the new LED.

The light transfer piece inside the button was tinted green and was kind of dull.

I ordered some 1.5 mm fiber optic cable that had a good side glow.

Illuminated. Compare to the normal defrost switch.

And norm and max buttons depressed.

Now I have to figure out the defrost switch. It might not look like it, but the outer amber ring has a green tint on the backside which I have to remove somehow in order to get it to glow blue like the others.

Comment

• Also snagged some oem style decals. Some cars had these installed at the dealer. Stoked for nic nacs. Not sure whether to put em on the red or the yellow. I guess it varied. The re-pops were made by a member on vortex. Found some dudes hotmail from 2009 to get em lol.

Comment

• picked up bc type br with only 5k miles

hoping to do this

this is funny

and still pumped on my now OG shirt that goes well with the harli

cruisin
                            [vimeo]273628678[/vimeo]

Comment

• I believe your old 21 is back up for sale on CL.
                              Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• oh wow. didnt see that. looking super scene lol. I sold the lsd and recaros out of it to 2002 guys since it wasnt selling and dropped the price. Current dude is asking quite a bit lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X