This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting over plastidip?

i was wondering if anyone has tried this. i was thinking about having some fun with a design on my car by just plastidipping it and then hand painting on top of that so i could peel it off when im done. should this theoretically work? has anyone done it? thanks

IG: Nick475

While I dont know about paint, I've seen someone sharpie over it, and I don't think it's that much different. It may depend on the type of paint though

Sent from my HTC 3D using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Try it on a scrap panel or something.

Comment

It seems to me I found a vid on youtube where a guy painted the plastidip and the paint made a hard layer in the plastidip and made it not peel off very well... But a test panel is probably the best idea...
        -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
        '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
        '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

Pretty much painting over it will turn your car into a huge scratch it ticket, it is barley removable. It wont peel off nicely is one sheet like regular plastidip. I know plastidip makes regular paint, that would work like you are saying. But the color selection is pretty weak, and I assume your going for more than a Crayola watercolor pallet.

I would do some sort of vinyl that you could paint on instead.

Comment

i think you are right codytheoutlaw Try it on a scrap panel or something. i hope you understand....
            Last edited by merry123; 12-30-2013, 03:12 AM.
            http://www.plagiarism-checker.info/
            http://definitions.uslegal.com/p/plagiarism/
            http://www.lib.usm.edu/legacy/plag/whatisplag.php

Comment

I did this on a set of wheels. Its very had to remove.

Comment

You could do a base coat of dip like you wanted and then paint on top with any color plastidip.

You would just buy the clear then add pigments like ones from this website to get whatever color you wanted:
                Colorshift Pearls, Colorshift Pigments, Plasti Dip, Automotive Paint, Pearls, Shimmer Pearls, Holographic Flakes, Pearlescent Paint, Candy Pearl, Candy Paint, Kandy Pearls, Kandy Pigment, Chameleon Paint, Chameleon Pearl, Plasti Dip, Custom Auto Paint, PPG, HOK, House of Kolor, Dupont, Spectra Flair, Clearcoat, Basecoat, Urethane Clear, Plasti Clear, Plasti Glossifier, Thermo Pearl, Thermchromic Pigment, Halo Flakes,

Comment

how is this working out for you?

Comment

Youtube "Plastidip myths" and they actually test this out. Very difficult to remove.
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

never ended up trying it haha. peeled off the plastidip already

IG: Nick475

Comment

Plasti-dip sucks IMO
                        1999 Lexus GS300 | Bagged | Wed Kranze Borphes | STUPID

2001 325i |Coupe | Carbonfiber | Comfy

Comment

Never understood all the hype with plasti-dip. I can imagine how terrible painting over it would be... Good thing you didnt do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian. View Post
                            Plasti-dip sucks IMO
                            Originally posted by sleeps View Post
                            Never understood all the hype with plasti-dip.
                            x2 on that

ive yet to see something plastidipped actually turn out good looking imo

stop being so indecisive and just paint your shit lol

Comment

plasti dip kinda does suck, its like the savior to people who like doing half assed work. I wouldn't paint over it its hard enough to remove as is

Comment

Working...
                              X