No announcement yet.

Brickhouse VK56 240SX Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More progress! With the engine in the bay and headers mounted, next on the list was the exhaust.

Greg mocked up a couple tip designs with mild steel - straight or pie cut?

Once in agreement, the tip was made first. It was Greg's first time TIG welding stainless but it turned out awesome. Stainless makes all the colors.

And this shows the importance of having a proper back purge setup.
    No purge - crusty/gross:

Purged - dimes on the backside:

We both agreed straight dual tip was the way to go.

With the tip done, he laid out the rest of the exhaust and got it tacked up. The exhaust was built as a balance of what's needed and what will work. Also budget comes into play bit. The tips are stainless for the bling factor but the rest was done in mild. All stainless is cool but expensive. Mild steel will outlast the intended life of the exhaust. Oh and again, this is just the test car. The swap kit headers and y-pipe will be built with the goal of being able to use a regular cat-back exhaust.

G-man approves giving it his best JDM peace stamp of approval.

After confirming fitment, it was fully welded.

And mounted on the car - really stoked on the result!

Perfect bumper spacing:

The tips are angled 15 degrees which gives them a really cool vertical look.

Exhaust poke is just as important as wheel poke. Haha.

It was the little bit of flair the rear was missing. It should have a good bark as well since it only has one 14" glas pack inline. That VK56 should make a racket!
    IG: @brickhouse_products
    brickhouseproducts.com

Comment

This has got me really wanting to weld something
      Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Originally posted by Motoman325 View Post
        This has got me really wanting to weld something
        If you go back to the beginning-ish of the build, you'll see this project was the reason for buying a TIG welder. I can't take credit for any welding skill, but this was the first time Greg welded aluminum, steel, or stainless. It's created plenty of opportunity to practice. Haha
        brickhouseproducts.com

Comment

Oh this is guuuud!
          Lucas
          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
          Originally posted by LCG
          High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Yes. Love it
            I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

Dude, this car looks so perfect. From the wheels to the aero and color, it all works perfectly. Just that part alone was enough for me to make me drool all over my keyboard. Add in the swap, and I'm gonna be buying a new laptop soon. Keep at it, I'm gonna follow this one!
                SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

Everything about this build is incredible! The car looks gorgeous, I wouldn't change a thing. Can't wait to see this up and running. Keep up the amazing work.
                  http://cdn.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17224

Comment

That's truly a beautiful build. Everything is perfect. Amazing fab skills too!

Renato
                    Team TWM Performance
                    TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
                      Oh this is guuuud!
                      Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                      Yes. Love it
                      Originally posted by JJ. View Post
                      Amazing!
                      Originally posted by reiernumans View Post
                      Dude, this car looks so perfect. From the wheels to the aero and color, it all works perfectly. Just that part alone was enough for me to make me drool all over my keyboard. Add in the swap, and I'm gonna be buying a new laptop soon. Keep at it, I'm gonna follow this one!
                      Originally posted by 06RawRsx View Post
                      Everything about this build is incredible! The car looks gorgeous, I wouldn't change a thing. Can't wait to see this up and running. Keep up the amazing work.
                      Originally posted by TWM Performance View Post
                      That's truly a beautiful build. Everything is perfect. Amazing fab skills too!

Renato
                      Team TWM Performance
                      Can't thank you guys enough! Hearing words of support/encouragement for the build mean a ton and help push this forward!

Greg's assessment of what's left: pull motor, wrap headers, paint exhaust, make shifter setup, plumbing, wire, tune, buff exterior. Still a bit left but at least it's "final" assembly work!
                      brickhouseproducts.com

Comment

This is perfection! Those are some real quality machines you have; I love the fact that you are keeping it mostly in house production. Anyone can go out and buy parts, but it really takes skill, determination, and creativity to fabricate your own parts. Great job! Mad respect for being so meticulous about this build too. This is definitely going to be the star of the offset kings meet imo.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                        @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

It's a big day around these parts! Parts are going on the engine for the last time - final assembly baby!

This means we can finally install our prototype flywheel!! We worked with Spec for over a year to get this VK56-350Z conversion flywheel made. The setup features:
                          -billet aluminum with replaceable friction surface (no need to machine it!)
                          -additional thickness to compensate for the thickness of the transmission adapter plate (correct throw)
                          -hollowed out backside to reduce rotating mass
                          -Z33 clutch bolt pattern for use with any off the shelf 350Z clutch kit
                          -stock VK56 ring gear for use with stock VK56 starter (no 350Z starter conversion)
                          -adapter pilot bushing

Basically, it's a legit aftermarket flywheel for the VK56 as if it came from the factory as a manual transmission. The only thing this prototype doesn't have is the factory trigger wheel since we will be running a crank mounted trigger setup (as will the majority of users most likely).

It's a real work of art and truly an impressive piece. And for the part that everyone is concerned about - the price. Pricing should be on par with other Spec aftermarket flywheels!! A ton of bang for the buck! We'll keep you posted on details after testing.

We paired the flywheel up with a Spec Stage 3 350Z sprung 6-puck clutch setup which should hold all the jam (gobs of torque) this engine will make.

It is a very clean install! No sandwiching the stock flex plate with an aftermarket flywheel just to keep the ring gear. We have discussed adding the stock trigger wheel so if there is interest out there let us know!

We can't thank Spec enough for dealing with all of our requests, questions, and nagging in getting this produced. During our initial inquiry phase, we got blown off/big-timed/ignored by a number of small and BIG clutch manufacturers out there, but Spec was on board and supportive from day one. Support those who support the community!

Next up was the time consuming process of wrapping the headers. The titanium heat wrap adds some nice contrast.

Oh yeah, it's a V8...let's do that whole process again.

One last part to make/mod/adjust was the shifter setup, through the course of the build, you've seen us develop a few different shifter setups. Keeping stock shifter location has always been a priority for us as there are plenty of options out there for more track oriented builds that require you to hack the trans opening and ditch the interior trim. We want the interior to look stock so here is the latest version - which has already be modified from the picture!

As you can see, we kept the stock shifter cup but shortened the bracket a BUNCH and made a relocated shifter linkage. The biggest reason for this setup was keeping the reverse lock out function; an important safety feature for a street car. Our previous heim joint shifter setup didn't have that function but, for a track car where you'll likely be in the lower gearing, maybe that isn't as important (but we weren't really keen on it). The goal for us was to have various setups to test and figure out what is best.

A little video of it in action (not Greg's normal voice, haha).

A picture (taken with a potato) of the interior showing the shifter location. Fits like stock.

And finally a few of the engine sitting in the bay for hopefully the last time.

brickhouseproducts.com

Comment

Awesome build cant wait to see this done!
                            81 CORONA BUILD
                            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=72304&

Comment

Originally posted by Renchi_akuma View Post
                              Awesome build cant wait to see this done!
                              Thanks! And us either! Haha
                              brickhouseproducts.com

Comment

Well done! Great thread, cool progress pictures, and awesome work! Definitely excited to see this done. Love the level of fabrication as well. Sub'd

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

Working...
                                X