No announcement yet.

1990 UK Vauxhall Nova SR20DET Space Framed Trackcar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum, and I love the weird builds. Impressive work, especially considering that it looks like you did the majority of it in a rather small shop. Can't wait to see it finished!
    I over engineer the solution to small problems while ignoring the big problems.

'74 Toyota Hilux (under construction), '74 Lotus Europa (low mileage, ALL original), '95 Mazda Miata (supercharged), '99 Chevy C2500 (ratty sleeper, 650 rwhp turbo LS), '01 BMW 540i/6, '76 Dodge Aspen (Lemons Race car)

Comment

• Thank you hambler

Comment

• Mounted the front section of the spit today..

efd00d54e78e0b0a21e78154944eace0.jpg2dbcdfc7a12a17bc8350849d55960123.jpg7e2968508906d980109c15d2a5856a54.jpg6927c257004de602e1ffb7b81ed8467e.jpgbe15b31d7992919e0b193ecf2a98ae8d.jpg

Comment

• And it’s on!

Time to crack on

b016d527734269675133cf83a2c532d6.jpg93e1f46ecca1c7290a911d2e37fad6ed.jpg

Comment

• Not sure many people are on here anymore let alone reading this thread! lol But thought I would update that progress is still happening. Since the start of the year I've been working through the car front to back redesigning parts I didn't like and improving where I can. I've seen a lot of YouTube projects in the 5 years since a lot of the work on this project was done which has inspired new designs.

IMG_5667.jpg
            IMG_5793.jpg

Comment

• I have to say tour timing is spot on. Just the other day I was wondering "what happened to that tube chassis the guy keeps calling a vauxhall
              Share some more details, I see a gearbox and some wheels now, but no details.
              "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
              Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                I have to say tour timing is spot on. Just the other day I was wondering "what happened to that tube chassis the guy keeps calling a vauxhall
                Share some more details, I see a gearbox and some wheels now, but no details.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have loads of pics of the work since last autumn so will pull it all together for an update. Didn’t want to do it if no-one was watching! Lol

Comment

• We're not as many as it used to be years ago but some of us are always watching

Bring it on!

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                    We're not as many as it used to be years ago but some of us are always watching

Ok so I'm gonna do these updates in stages as there's just so many pics to sort through.

Comment

• So basically, I built the main chassis and did most of the work over 5 years ago. A lot has changed since then and I've watched a lot of other project videos and gained inspiration. So starting from the back I've been working through what I didn't like and redoing it. There's some stuff I'm still not 100% with and would do differently if starting again, but scrapping this and starting again now would just be silly (although there were lots of nights contemplating that one!)

So first update...

Rear End Work - Pt 1

So the original rear end was panelled out like so...

Before-00001.jpg
                      Before-00006.jpg
                      Before-00007.jpg

I never really liked how the panels fitted. There was no consistency to it, they were rough, and I ***** how the lower tube that goes side to side fitted. So that tube got chopped out, panels cut out and then I trialled an idea inspired by the Bibster build doing some sunken panelling using some 3mm x 10mm bar to create a skirt/frame...

After-00008.jpg
                      After-00014.jpg
                      Last edited by The Simps; 05-07-2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Rear End Work - Pt 2

Liking the way it was looking I continued with the next two...

After-00020.jpg
                        After-00021.jpg

Side by side comparison to the old panels...

Side by Side-00001.jpg

Happy now that this was the way forward, I first had to fix and add some tubing.

Comment

• Rear End Work - Pt 3

First I wanted to remove and reinstall a tube as I ***** the way it fitted as it was off by about 5mm and resulted in the framing not looking right. So out it came and got replaced...

Modding Tubes-00001.jpg
                          Modding Tubes-00002.jpg
                          Modding Tubes-00003.jpg
                          Modding Tubes-00004.jpg

The eagle eyed of you may have also noticed I modified where the lower bar used to mount each side that was cut out so that it would accommodate the panelling better...

After-00017.jpg
                          Last edited by The Simps; 05-07-2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Rear End Work - Pt 4

Next was adding a couple of tubes. Time to play spot the difference...

Modding Tubes-00006.jpg
                            Modding Tubes-00007.jpg
                            Modding Tubes-00008.jpg
                            Modding Tubes-00009.jpg

Comment

• Rear End Work - Pt 5

Happy the structure was good I made all the remaining skirt/frame pieces and then the panels. Most of the panels are just cardboard templates as the plan here is to bond in carbon fibre sheet, hence why I wanted every panel to be simple and flat! Framework I plan to do a in a light grey/anthracite and I think will look cool against the carbon

After-00003.jpg
                              After-00026.jpg
                              After-00004.jpg
                              After-00027.jpg

That was where I've got up to on the rear for now. Time to move on to the revised floor. More on that another day.

Thanks for looking.
                              Last edited by The Simps; 05-07-2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X