1 center different from other 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 center different from other 3

So... I'm almost done rebuilding my Oz fittipaldi wheels when I notice. One of the centers is different from the other three (the one to the right), the bolt pattern/hub size is the same, and the wheel specs the same, just the cavities are less deep and the mounting surface has been milled down in the center.

heres the regular one, deeper cavities

heres the odd one out. shallower cavities, recessed center of mounting surface, different paint color, and no ring inside the hub. almost like its from a different set.

Is this something to worry about? seems pretty weird to me, I'm new to working on cars, well and cars in general. I tried to do some research but I cant find anything on it, any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Looks like one center was either replaced or repaired. Nothing to worry about as far as safety IMO.

Set them on a flat surface hub side down and see if the disk (offset) is the same. If it is, you're all set, if not, you may have to run some spacer to even them out or have the pads milled, yielding a higher ET, if beneficial.
    Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore
    Quitters never stance.

Comment

Originally posted by jacbo View Post
      Looks like one center was either replaced or repaired. Nothing to worry about as far as safety IMO.

Set them on a flat surface hub side down and see if the disk (offset) is the same. If it is, you're all set, if not, you may have to run some spacer to even them out or have the pads milled, yielding a higher ET, if beneficial.
      Same offset, thank god. the seal was original, so it couldn't have been replaced, not sure how or why a repair would make the cavities shallower either. Glad to know it isn't a huge deal, thanks!

Comment

It's not just the pockets in the back pad, but look at the recessed areas behind the spokes... those are different too. Completely different casting.

Nothing to worry about. A wheel was probably damaged and replaced. I can see the center on the right has a date stamp, and the other centers probably do too. You can compare them to see when they were made. Link to an example below... the number in the center is the year, and the number of dots around it add up to the month.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
          It's not just the pockets in the back pad, but look at the recessed areas behind the spokes... those are different too. Completely different casting.

Nothing to worry about. A wheel was probably damaged and replaced. I can see the center on the right has a date stamp, and the other centers probably do too. You can compare them to see when they were made. Link to an example below... the number in the center is the year, and the number of dots around it add up to the month.
          http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ap3UZlAAxy.../20121208D.JPG
          wow completely missed the area behind the spokes. but ya the dates are different.

Comment

Working...
          X