FC RX7 5.0 race car thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well then, I didn't expect this when I read 'no money.'

Real excited to see how this turns out. Real nice work so far.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Great work. You're making me want to tear apart my truck...

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
      Originally posted by nickskater09
      I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Originally posted by Isuzupickup View Post
        Hmm, I always thought the fox body A9L computers were better. They take much more modifications without tuning. I've had a Fox and SN95 in my driveway and the fox seemed more simple and on point rather than the sputtering SN95. Anyway, sick build! I'll be sure to follow.
        Better is relative I suppose. The SN95s computer has a better processor, but also more advanced programming. From what I understand a slightly different approach has to be taken to prevent the learning procedure from ruining the tune. I think A9Ls are just more common and everyone got used to them. You can do a lot of mods with an A9L and it will just figure it out, it may not make the most power however. But even an A9L will benefit from a tune. I'm planning to get a Moates Quarterhorse down the road so i'll be able to tune it anyway, a friend has the software. I cant say I'm overjoyed to be working on yet another OBD2-but-not-really ECU (no live stream data)
        and thanx!

Originally posted by philavon View Post
        damn, thats going to be something sweet! subscribed FO.SHO.
        thanx!

Originally posted by andybob View Post
        Well then, I didn't expect this when I read 'no money.'

Real excited to see how this turns out. Real nice work so far.
        Thank you, lol. I actually haven't spent that much yet, I'm trying to keep it a budget build. I'm doing all the work myself and spending a lot of time hunting down deals and researching time and money saving methods.

Originally posted by milano_red View Post
        Great work. You're making me want to tear apart my truck...
        haha do it! I'm a really bad enabler lol

Well I got my engine! I was surprised to get it so quickly.

IMG_5259

The highlights are:

IMG_5260

BBK 70mm throttle body

IMG_5261

Steeda Tri-ax shifter (shifts really nice actually)

IMG_5262

BBK equal length headers, (sorry for the blurry) I believe these are the SN95 specific ones so they should help keep the clearance I need from the steering column.

IMG_5263

BBK (PO seems to like BBK) cold air, unsure if i'm able to use this yet.. but I'm gonna try!

IMG_5265

and a fox rad with a huge electric fan on it. I don't think the rad will fit, but the fan should work!
        The guys at the yard were really good, I'm able to go back and grab whatever little wiring pieces etc i still need from the mustang. One of the guys there had actually done a chevy into an Rx7.

Tomorrow looks like a lot of cleaning, and more cage work.
        Last edited by Teeson1111; 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Quick Update:

Bought this:

IMG_5367

made this:

IMG_5368

look like this:

IMG_5370

Much more cleaning ahead. And I gotta figure out the best way to mount those pedals so they are easy to remove with the cage in...

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

reminds me so much of my na fc 7. Would have loved to go all out on it like you have here but for now im subbed and loving progress!
            Like a glove

Comment

Lovely project, good luck with it!

My Builds
              1967 Mustang
              Miata

Instagram: crisseh95

Comment

this is gonna be great

Comment

Originally posted by Teeson1111 View Post
                  IMG_5262

BBK equal length headers, (sorry for the blurry) I believe these are the SN95 specific ones so they should help keep the clearance I need from the steering column.
                  Originally posted by Teeson1111 View Post
                  Quick Update:

Bought this:

IMG_5367
                  Pulling some pages out of my book. in for more.
                  Instagram: @B_OLSEN_
                  1988 FC3s-LS3 track slut~in progress~
                  1991 S13 Coupe-LS1 street beater
                  2004 G35 Coupe track model-Work Wheels Static daily
                  TUMBLR

Comment

looks great !
                    C280 Build Thread
                    C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                    E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

I came in here expecting another kid and his junky improperly pieced together car because of the title.

But you're doing very nice work and planning everything out. I like this a lot! What are your goals as far as power and track times? Keep it up, sir.

p.s. Yes, those welds should pass tech. I've seen some really bad stuff pass. If you're concerned about penetration, weld a couple of those test pieces together and look inside of them. If it's penetrated properly it will almost look like it's welded on the inside as well.

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

looking forward to seeing more of this. looks like you've got a solid start going, and you seem to have a good idea of what your doing.. Keep it up man

Comment

Originally posted by danielsahhhn View Post
                          reminds me so much of my na fc 7. Would have loved to go all out on it like you have here but for now im subbed and loving progress!
                          Thank you, you have a build thread for it by chance? I definitely bit off more than I can chew lol, but its getting somewhere. finally.

Originally posted by SBCriss View Post
                          Lovely project, good luck with it!
                          Thanx!

Originally posted by SunOfABeach View Post
                          looking forward to seeing more of this. looks like you've got a solid start going, and you seem to have a good idea of what your doing.. Keep it up man
                          Thank you, the more research the better. I also have saved a lot of money doing this the long way as well. Pro-tips lol

Originally posted by TheTynosaur View Post
                          this is gonna be great
                          Thanks mang

Originally posted by SD202 View Post
                          looks great !
                          Thank you

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
                          I came in here expecting another kid and his junky improperly pieced together car because of the title.

But you're doing very nice work and planning everything out. I like this a lot! What are your goals as far as power and track times? Keep it up, sir.

p.s. Yes, those welds should pass tech. I've seen some really bad stuff pass. If you're concerned about penetration, weld a couple of those test pieces together and look inside of them. If it's penetrated properly it will almost look like it's welded on the inside as well.
                          Thank you! that means a lot coming from you, Ive uh read your threads

Especially the Grand Cherokee Turbo, your work is insanely clean and precise.

The test pieces are good on the inside, not blown through. My buddy is an extremely talented welder, he has a lot of certification and skill for someone of our age.
                          And ya lol I spent a lot of time looking for examples to show him, even the Pro-Am cars that were at FD in Monroe. He laughed, his words: "Hellen Keller could weld better than some of those"

Would you believe all those test welds were done with a stick welder? Yes. A stick welder. He's good. We are doing everything else with a Mig, and a nice one at that.

Originally posted by RolledAndPulledG View Post
                          Pulling some pages out of my book. in for more.
                          I dont want to sound starstruck or

But uh.. You're thread has been inspiration since I think around the time I bought the car. Found it first on StanceNation, but I like it here better.
                          Lol I don't have your budget (or insane fab and driving skills) but ya thank you.
                          I'll make you proud man!
                          Last edited by Teeson1111; 03-12-2014, 07:44 PM.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Anyway this last weekend was Canada's version of Thanksgiving. Which means long weekend. Yeeeeeeee

Engine cleaned and getting ready to go:

IMG_5395

Steering rack reassembled, though I'm not super sure about it. It feels tighter than it did before, not binding but stiff even with the support loose. I'll have to drive on it I guess.

IMG_5396

Got a lot of research regarding the wiring behind the 5.0 done, this site

http://www.veryuseful.com

is the single greatest thing I've found. Makes cutting out the useless stuff easy.

Oh and the fun part, the cage

IMG_5389

It's super nice to have a buddy with a full welding rig that takes McDonald's and car work in trade for his labour, basically at disposal.

IMG_5392

So we made some progress on it, but it was cut short by the fact he wakes up around 5 AM. Bedtime and all. Haha can't blame him really.

Welding is just simply awesome to photograph. Great time to put the camera in full manual and fool around. I leave you with this:

IMG_5384

IMG_5376

IMG_5383

IMG_5374

IMG_5371
                            Last edited by Teeson1111; 03-12-2014, 07:51 PM.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

livin the dream.

looks like your off to a solid start!
                              pick your welder buddys brain every chance you get.

Comment

Working...
                              X