Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teeson1111 View Post
    thanx dude!

You'll be removing the rotary engine harness/wires. You won't be using anything from it but the connector from the ECU to the body (connector X15 per Granny's site) and keeping a bit of the harness from the engine bay. The harness that has the wipers and a few gauge signal wires.
    The Granny's wiring page on ID'ing RX7 connectors and wires is pretty helpful. It will help you figure out what (if any) wiring you're missing.
    Dont remove anything until you're sure you don't need it, but de-pinning is a clean way to remove wiring you don't need. I re-pinned my connectors but I also eliminated 90% of the RX7 wiring.
    Alright dope, I will go back over the wiring on grannys site and figure out more of what i do and dont need. That helps though i appreciate it.
    I will let you know if i have any other questions! Motor should be going in shortly. After talking the valve covers off and going to install my new cam, i noticed i had ford racing roller rockers, new fuel rail and 19lb injectors, which i cant complain about.
    Have you done a Dyno on yours yet? trying to get a guesstimate on how much power i will be pushing close too

Comment

• Havent Dyno'd it but I'd guess around 230 hp and 310 ft-lb

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Originally posted by Teeson1111 View Post
        Havent Dyno'd it but I'd guess around 230 hp and 310 ft-lb

Judging by your video the beast still gets up so, i would say still very impressive!
        Did you happen to get a better fuel pump? I just thought about it and was thinking if the stock fuel pump would be able to do okay considering its a bigger motor

Comment

• I have a walbro 255.

it does the job provided theres enough fuel in the tank haha

I feel really lame but I haven't done anything to it. My new daily has required attention and I'm a bit short on funds.
          I have a decent list for the winter I hope to get started on soon.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Fuuuuuuck

Comment

• Hi everyone. Its been a while.

I've literally not touched the v8 car. Unless it was to steal parts off of it to put on the daily. LOL
              I did winterize it, and Santa was good to me this year sooooo

IMG_6728

I got my friends a proper passenger seat that fits. everyone is safer this way, and that is just the spirit of christmas

IMG_6725

my parents think the same way and bought me a helmet. Its a Gforce Pro Elminator, comes with HANs inserts, MA SNELL 2010. and its pretty cool with that blue visor no?

IMG_6726

then Boxing Day (think Canadian black friday type shopping with less people dying)(and its after Christmas for some strange reason)

DEI heat wrap things, I didn't like burning my leg on the floor
              the all important in line fill. I should've bought one of these a long time ago. This will be the new highest point in the coolant system and i'll actually be able to bleed and fill it properly now
              I also got some boring AN fittings for the fuel filter I haven't bought yet

IMG_6729

its party time

took a cute little time lapse of pulling the engine, took about an hour to do solo (i'm happy with that) and about another hour to clean the mess off the floor (less happy with that)

IMG_6730

IMG_6731

real update soon. I'll have to post some pics of what I did with the DD this fall

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Nice! And yeah get some pics up of the daily. You can give us all back to back real experience between a rotary FC and a v8

Comment

• update time

been listening to...

don't judge me

so the winter festivities have begun

IMG_6734 by Teeson111, on Flickr

I'm not sure if this is enough foil, or if its going to work at all. the stuff wouldn't stick so I had to buy a high temp spray glue to help it along.

took the engine apart, broke a water pump stud in process. had to weld a nut onto it to get it off

IMG_6732 by Teeson111, on Flickr

cleaned it up

IMG_6733 by Teeson111, on Flickr

masked it

IMG_6740 by Teeson111, on Flickr

found some leftover paint from one of my last builds

IMG_6737 by Teeson111, on Flickr

and

IMG_6741 by Teeson111, on Flickr

profit. yes I have 2 timing covers, I'll be putting the explorer cover on, it has a crank trigger mount if I ever decide to up my ECM game

the rear main seal and front trans seal are both leaking sooo

IMG_6735 by Teeson111, on Flickr

IMG_6736 by Teeson111, on Flickr

bought the first bunch of gaskets, have more on order for the timing cover and such

then I bought something

IMG_6742 by Teeson111, on Flickr

guy I bought them off was super chill and held onto them for me, they are Parts Shop Max Pro coil overs. they are from back when they were using swift springs (though I thought swift wrote their name on the springs, theres no marking on them...?) but have minimal use and cost me what the comp coil overs would.

IMG_6743 by Teeson111, on Flickr

so cleaned them up and put anti-seize on the threads, I'm not taking any chances with these. they are not going to seize up on me

IMG_6744 by Teeson111, on Flickr

then put them on the hover car

IMG_6745 by Teeson111, on Flickr

sooo much adjustment. love the caster adjustment setup too

IMG_6747 by Teeson111, on Flickr

the brake rotors look terrible.

so this winter I stole the coil overs, camber bar and ball joints and steering wheel off the race car and put them on the blue rx7 I daily drive. Then I rolled the fenders a lot and borrowed my buddy's 16x10 et 0 diamonds. He just mounted 205/40 neogens and hadn't even driven on them yet so this was pretty awesome.
                  We went to the local Paul Walker memorial meet and had a good time. It was cold. but good cars and good people made it better

needless to say I'm in love with the wheels. I want to buy a set in 5 lug with the same specs. but becauseracecar I'm focusing on getting the drift car ready for drifting. Me and a friend are aiming to have both our cars ready to go for march/april depending on what event we decide on.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• holy crap this is an epic build thread

(and then you go and add a second car to it just to make sure it's a novel)

read the whole thing today kept me entertained at work for the best part of it.

so many great ideas and good photo journal of how things were done and what worked and what didn't (re hardlines for the brakes etc)

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see video of this at a comp soon.

Comment

• Haha I broke the same bolt on mine! And also one of the forward most lower intake bolts snapped on me too. Cars are looking good!

Quick question that I don't remember if you touched on or not...when you relocated the front sway bar on the 5.0 car what did you do with the mounts on the control arms where the endlink bolts to?

Comment

• This is a sweet build! I remember looking at the a long time ago and now im knee deep in a 5.0 swap into my 88 FC. I was going to ask you what motor mounts you are using. I have the granny speed basic kit but cant find the rubber motor mounts. All the part numbers he has given me are for products that are no longer available.

Sweet build cant wait to see it finished up! Here is a link to my build. Its not a race car by any means, just a fun car with A lot of HP and trying to keep the weight down.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...e/96558/page1/
                        Instagram @Petrol360

88 RX7 FC 5.0
                        77 Yamaha XS400

Comment

• Originally posted by #R_ View Post
                          holy crap this is an epic build thread

(and then you go and add a second car to it just to make sure it's a novel)

read the whole thing today kept me entertained at work for the best part of it.

so many great ideas and good photo journal of how things were done and what worked and what didn't (re hardlines for the brakes etc)

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see video of this at a comp soon.
                          thanks! and ya lol I can't wait to get this thing sideways

Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
                          Haha I broke the same bolt on mine! And also one of the forward most lower intake bolts snapped on me too. Cars are looking good!

Quick question that I don't remember if you touched on or not...when you relocated the front sway bar on the 5.0 car what did you do with the mounts on the control arms where the endlink bolts to?
                          I don't know why, but they are like grade 3 bolts and it always manages to get full of crud from the water pump. but its dealt with now lol.
                          I haven't actually finished the sway bar conversion. I relocated the mounts to fit the sway bar on the car but I haven't got the end links built or even figured out. lol so to answer you're question, nothing

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Originally posted by Skervey View Post
                            This is a sweet build! I remember looking at the a long time ago and now im knee deep in a 5.0 swap into my 88 FC. I was going to ask you what motor mounts you are using. I have the granny speed basic kit but cant find the rubber motor mounts. All the part numbers he has given me are for products that are no longer available.

Sweet build cant wait to see it finished up! Here is a link to my build. Its not a race car by any means, just a fun car with A lot of HP and trying to keep the weight down.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...e/96558/page1/
                            They are from a 60 something Ford Galaxy. I know you can still get them cuz a local buddy who's building the same car bought them. I have the mounts on my counter, I'll grab a part number off the one for you. The trans mount is from the same car as well.

Ima check out that build thread too, I love Grassroots Motorsports

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• FC's are so unappreciated. I love this thread!

Comment

• Thanks I will look into that galaxy mounts. I have the trans mount that was the one part number that I was able to find still in stock.
                                Instagram @Petrol360

88 RX7 FC 5.0
                                77 Yamaha XS400

Comment

Working...
                                X