This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers for e46 Xi

Having a surprisingly tough time trying to source quality coilovers for my e46 xi...

question is: does anyone know if there are any differences between the physical suspension compoments on a 325 rwd vs a 325xi? we all know spring rates and such would be different because of weight etc.. im talking actual installation of components

ideally, im looking at a custom valved set of BC coils for the DD, but i want to make sure the components are not somehow different..

if i find out more info, ill post it up here.
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Unfortunatley, RWD coilovers won't work on the XI. I've actually never been under an XI for more than 5 minutes so i cannot tell you the differences between the 2 models. I know the RWD e46 in and out so if you need any measurements LMK.

I think there are better options than BC for the xi or any european car for that matter. I personally would not reccomend them to anyone, especially someone who has been around the best of parts such as yourself. Email, call or PM me and we can swap some ideas.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

still really havent gotten too far with this. If anyone has any additional information, post up here.

i would like to have the shop car lowered and on wheels for h2oi in a month ideally...

from what i can see, the real difference is location of sway bar endlink.. which would not be a big deal at all. Ill just relocate the bracket to where it belongs if needed
      sigpic

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

Comment

yeah im in the same position as you. i just bought an 02 325xi and i was looking for coils to buy. i was doing research on e46fanatics and they seem to think its crazy to lower an awd car...

Comment

yeah they are a primarily boring crowd.

I am going to be working with Jaze to see if we can finally come up with some sort of answer as to if the e46 coilovers fit. From my research and getting under my car so far, the components look the same. its just where the end link on the sway bar mounts up. the end link is very long on the xi to clear front drive components.

if thats the only difference, it will be an easy solution. Hopefully as soon as I get some time, I can discuss the options so people have a definite answer as to the differences between coilover systems for these cars.

so far kits that say they fit XI

k sport
          h&r
          KW v1
          ST something or other.

not particularly a fan of any of these, so hopefully we can try to find a solution..
          sigpic

Comment

i heard that you can use that 325 end links because they are shorter than the awd end links. let me know if you find anything out, i would love to be able to get a set of broadways

Comment

So... no news really to report, but I do need to get a set now asap. Blew out both rear struts this past weekend.

going to start a thread for the car shortly since it is the shop wagon and it will be going through its share of wheel setups for next year.. Its first set of wheels was dropped off at the shop about a week ago, and instantly went into the chemical stripper.
              sigpic

Comment

there's one guy on e46f i've seen with a low xi. His username is orisue46, maybe shoot him a message or something

Instagram: @andrewgcross

Comment

E46 Xi/Xd(europe only) (346X model) models got different kind of front struts, KW V1 is the "best" option for coilovers to these.. BUT there is problem with lowering these.. front driveshaft angles are bit weird and that causes problems.

The front strut difference is on swaybar fitting. thats all i know about lowering E46 4wd

And for the talk about "sets to fit" Xi model, if there is ANY other model than X model they probably don't fit 'sake of swaybar' other than that the lower part and the topmount seems to be the same..
                  Last edited by Exami; 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM.
                  Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
                  Now: MB W211 320cdi
                  Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

I too felt that when comparing the struts, the only difference seemed to be where the end link mounted up. That would be a very easy thing to remedy if this is the only difference up front.

I think I'm going to buy a set of 325i or 330i specific coils and take the chance. I don't mind relocating the bracket if that's all it is. That would be cake
                    sigpic

Comment

Heres couple photos what i did my broken front struts...

Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
                      Now: MB W211 320cdi
                      Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

I have an e90 AWD and im kinda in the same position as you. I bought H&R coilovers, but they only go so low, and not low enough for me. I sourced a front linear spring mount, and was going to go with swift short springs, but i contacted H&R to see the max rates and shortest springs i could run. Max rate was 5k front 7k rear, and they also said i would be wasting my money because the shocks cannot handle short springs so they would basically blow right away.

Luckily, Broadway static makes a set for the AWD E90, so after i get my wheels looks like i am going to start saving the 1600$ for a broadway static set up.
                        Instagram = VIP_E90

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Jaze and I are in talks and I will likely have a set of broadways in the near future. I will keep everyone updated once I go to do the install and preparation and will document so we can once and for all figure this out. Im shocked with this being an approx. 10 year old platform that no one seems to take a chance to make options work for these cars....
                          sigpic

Comment

bc coilovers have been purchased... possibly this weekend I will get the car up in the air and see how things fit up there.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey
                              How did thouse bc coilovers fit?
                              I have a E46 330xd touring
                              Give me a feedback =)

Comment

Working...
                              X