No announcement yet.

e23 love...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the e23 Billy Sports brand new not too long ago, so I want to avoid buying shorter shocks and cutting the strut housing shorter for now. In the mean time, I can choose these 6" springs rates - 300, 350, and 400. Any suggestions?

The 4" spring rates come in high spring rates, but my gut feeling tells me it's better to run a softer spring rate with taller springs then a short ass spring with harder spring rates. Anyone got an opinion on this? I'd like to order new springs ASAP to try whatever solution is best....

Comment

You should keep the stiffer spring rates and try the 4" springs.

Comment

Awesome find bud and what a clean car.

Comment

Looks great tho. keep it up.

Comment

Goal is to order new springs today because I'm impatient.

I really appreciate all the help so far guys. Anyways, I am having a hard time finding any company (Eibach, Hyperco, Swift) who make a 5" tall spring, so I either have to choose between a 4" or softer 6" spring. Do you think I'd be okay with a 4" 600 lbs spring? Or should I go with a 6" 400lbs spring? I am just afraid the 4" might be too short and the 6" might not get low enough.

Comment

After thinking about it, I am going to avoid using the 4" shorter springs. Even though I can dial in my ride height in respect to the strut, a compressed 4" spring will seriously reduce the usable stroke once the spring is compressed. If the e23 weighs about 3400 lbs, then I'm assuming the front springs need to carry the load for roughly 900 lbs for each front side. At that rate, a 4" spring will compress 1.5" leaving 2.5" left! That to me sounds like a very flat spring! Sure I could run a higher spring rate for the 4" springs, but I doubt the Billy sports can handle that high of a spring rate.

Solution? Mount the threaded sleeve lower and run spacers. I was trying to avoid running spacers but oh well. Stay tuned...

Comment

Your E28 was super clean, but the E23 is so nice and way more unique.
                1981 300TD 4 speed
                2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                , on Flickr
                IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

So sad about that beautiful, beautiful e28. Good luck with the e23, looking good already!
                  "A bad apple, like an unemployed macintosh"

Comment

I have the same interior and the leather so insanely nice

Comment

Originally posted by D Unit View Post
                      After thinking about it, I am going to avoid using the 4" shorter springs. Even though I can dial in my ride height in respect to the strut, a compressed 4" spring will seriously reduce the usable stroke once the spring is compressed. If the e23 weighs about 3400 lbs, then I'm assuming the front springs need to carry the load for roughly 900 lbs for each front side. At that rate, a 4" spring will compress 1.5" leaving 2.5" left! That to me sounds like a very flat spring! Sure I could run a higher spring rate for the 4" springs, but I doubt the Billy sports can handle that high of a spring rate.

Solution? Mount the threaded sleeve lower and run spacers. I was trying to avoid running spacers but oh well. Stay tuned...
                      Honestly, you got the right Idea. I'd rather run spacers and still keep a good amount of suspension travel than the opposite. On the bright side, you can always get lower offset wheels in the future
                      '13 Fiat 500 Abarth
                      '99 E36 Convertible

Comment

Long story short, I relocated the sleeves 4" lower and can now drop the car on the bumpstops.

QUESTION #1 - If I adjust my ride height to "barely" sit on the bumpstops, how much higher do I need to set it to have adequate suspension travel for daily driving using 600lbs spring rate?

I know Zic and SheaMoose suggested shorter struts/housings, but after thinking about it, most of the suspension travel is taken up by the stack height. If I reduce the stack height, I can regain suspension travel and potentially lower it even more.

After talking to NegativeCamber, I am going to try to replace the stock strut hats with shorter Cosmos Racing camber plates. Cosmos (or anyone for that matter) doesn't make a camber kit for the e23, so if anyone knows a place in the Bay Area where I can get them modified, please let me know.

PICS BELOW ARE NOT MINE BTW...

Last edited by D Unit; 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

your in the BAY! PM me your number! Cars amazing too!
                          IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

Here's how it currently sits...

Comment

Medium-low...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X