X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Volvo 122

Current shot

I frequent S|W quite a bit, so I figured i'd do a build thread and get into what im doing. There isnt a ton to talk about but it has gone through a pretty decent cosmetic renovation. The engine runs and hasnt seem to show any major problems yet so I have been saving that area until im ready financially to get into it. Realistically i'd like to at least get a b20 in there with an m41 w/od, but ive also been thinking about a b23 turbo with an m46.

This was how it looked when I picked it up after having sat at my friend's parent's place for 7 years. It was pretty straight and I live in Phoenix, Az so there really wasnt any rust to worry about. It was originally that light green color, but had been painted white with a roller at some point in its life.

The interior speaks for itself. Attacked by the sun and home to many rats over the years im sure...

Started ordering parts and getting them replaced. Ive ordered from IPD, RockAuto, Ebay, FCP pretty much wherever I could. Did the bushings, shocks, wheel cylinders, tie rods, ball joints, brake pads, shoes, lines, rubber seals, etc

The drums were stuck, so we had to get them off with a rented tool from AutoZone. I remember having to look up a solution for this at the time, so maybe this will help someone.

The caliper pistons were also stuck, took a little while to sort that out.

Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like everyone else, I just want that instant gratification, so I have been learning about patience haha

Cut the springs about a coil and a half, set her down and took a celebratory lap to QuikStop for a beer run

Off to paint

Finally out of paint (3 months later). More lessons in patience on many levels.. it was ok in the end. New wheels went on as well.

It was still too high, so more coils were cut. Im hoping to find some coils that will work soon and throw those in.

Picked a color and pattern for the interior and the guy got rolling on it. Had to decide speaker placement and all that recently and I think it should work out well. Im going with 2 3-way Fosgate 6x9s, 2 3-way Fosgate 6.5s, Clarion preamp eq, Sony 4-Channel amp and in the future a 10" Fosgate sub and amp

Ive always thought these cars had classy european styling. Some people see hot rods, some people see rally cars, etc. I wanted a classy but street kind of feel.

Ordered a pre-sewn headliner from ebay.

Carpet going in

So basically I cleaned, painted, and polished anything I still have lying around while I was waiting to get it back

Stuff on the list to get into: Motor, Transmission, Alternator, Suspension, Stereo, does it really ever end?

:cheers:
    Last edited by Keith602; 08-13-2015, 01:22 PM.

Got it back from Interior

Last edited by Keith602; 04-02-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Junkyard score. $30 rear bumper! It had a tow hitch bolted through it, so I just used a spare bumper bolt I had. Really happy with this find. My old bumper had a dent in it and was about the only thing I really ***** about the exterior.

Last edited by Keith602; 04-02-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I really like the color change to black, and looks like you have a awsome start, along with not a whole lot further to go..

Comment

It went from an ugly duck to a beautiful swan quickly.

build thread?

Comment

Lovely 122. The interior and exterior colors look great.
            Volvo Build Thread
            Bmw Build Thread
            Toyota Build Thread
            zanebonk instagram
            Tumblrrrr

Comment

Great progress. The car looks good!

•Tapatalk•

Comment

This is excellent!
                '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
                '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
                '01 BMW 740iL
                Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

Some really cool lines for sure. Did you figure out your engine? A little turbo would get this thing moving. As others said the black and beige(?) interior really work well

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                      Some really cool lines for sure. Did you figure out your engine? A little turbo would get this thing moving. As others said the black and beige(?) interior really work well
                      Engine is being discussed, but still not sure when its going to happen. Its fun to drive as is, but not fast and not practical with the 4 speed. City streets only for now. It will most likely be a B23 turbo.
                      Last edited by Keith602; 08-12-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

This is going quite well.
                        Good work.

Comment

Awesome work! Love the interior choice. I like what you've done with the wheels so far, but I feel like there is still room for improvement. Right now they remind me of the old cop cars.

Comment

Stick with pushrod and go with a supercharger. B20 bottom end with b20F head, big cam, big valves, DCOE's, and a nice stahl header will get you moving quite well.
                            Last edited by gdogg16; 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM.
                            Greg
                            1974 Volvo 142

Comment

Originally posted by gdogg16 View Post
                              Stick with pushrod and go with a supercharger. B20 bottom end with b20F head, big cam, big valves, DCOE's, and a nice stahl header will get you moving quite well.
                              I have the b18 in there now. Finding a decent b20 would be both hard to find as well as expensive for me. There are usually a good amount of 240s in the yards here in Phx as well as auto parts stores that stock parts for them when things inevitably break. There are a few challenges with doing the conversion, but availability and price isnt really a problem. I do agree that a supercharged b20 would be the shit though!

I dig your 142 btw

Comment

Working...
                              X