Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 740

Thread: 1966 Volvo 122

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default Black & Bagged 1966 Volvo 122

    Current shot








    I frequent S|W quite a bit, so I figured i'd do a build thread and get into what im doing. There isnt a ton to talk about but it has gone through a pretty decent cosmetic renovation. The engine runs and hasnt seem to show any major problems yet so I have been saving that area until im ready financially to get into it. Realistically i'd like to at least get a b20 in there with an m41 w/od, but ive also been thinking about a b23 turbo with an m46.



    This was how it looked when I picked it up after having sat at my friend's parent's place for 7 years. It was pretty straight and I live in Phoenix, Az so there really wasnt any rust to worry about. It was originally that light green color, but had been painted white with a roller at some point in its life.




















    The interior speaks for itself. Attacked by the sun and home to many rats over the years im sure...












    Started ordering parts and getting them replaced. Ive ordered from IPD, RockAuto, Ebay, FCP pretty much wherever I could. Did the bushings, shocks, wheel cylinders, tie rods, ball joints, brake pads, shoes, lines, rubber seals, etc





    The drums were stuck, so we had to get them off with a rented tool from AutoZone. I remember having to look up a solution for this at the time, so maybe this will help someone.





    The caliper pistons were also stuck, took a little while to sort that out.





    Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like everyone else, I just want that instant gratification, so I have been learning about patience haha






    Cut the springs about a coil and a half, set her down and took a celebratory lap to QuikStop for a beer run




    Off to paint




    Finally out of paint (3 months later). More lessons in patience on many levels.. it was ok in the end. New wheels went on as well.







    It was still too high, so more coils were cut. Im hoping to find some coils that will work soon and throw those in.








    Picked a color and pattern for the interior and the guy got rolling on it. Had to decide speaker placement and all that recently and I think it should work out well. Im going with 2 3-way Fosgate 6x9s, 2 3-way Fosgate 6.5s, Clarion preamp eq, Sony 4-Channel amp and in the future a 10" Fosgate sub and amp

    Ive always thought these cars had classy european styling. Some people see hot rods, some people see rally cars, etc. I wanted a classy but street kind of feel.








    Ordered a pre-sewn headliner from ebay.





    Carpet going in





    So basically I cleaned, painted, and polished anything I still have lying around while I was waiting to get it back





    Stuff on the list to get into: Motor, Transmission, Alternator, Suspension, Stereo, does it really ever end?

    :cheers:
    Last edited by Keith602; 08-13-2015 at 01:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Got it back from Interior







    Last edited by Keith602; 04-02-2014 at 12:44 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Junkyard score. $30 rear bumper! It had a tow hitch bolted through it, so I just used a spare bumper bolt I had. Really happy with this find. My old bumper had a dent in it and was about the only thing I really ***** about the exterior.

    Last edited by Keith602; 04-02-2014 at 12:45 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    341

    Default

    I really like the color change to black, and looks like you have a awsome start, along with not a whole lot further to go..

  5. #5
    bobbyjones is offline Professional Golfer StanceWorks Addicted
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    707

    Default

    It went from an ugly duck to a beautiful swan quickly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bend OR
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Lovely 122. The interior and exterior colors look great.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Great progress. The car looks good!

    •Tapatalk•

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Posts
    475

    Default

    This is excellent!
    '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
    '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
    '01 BMW 740iL
    Instagram @bennkishh

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Some really cool lines for sure. Did you figure out your engine? A little turbo would get this thing moving. As others said the black and beige(?) interior really work well


    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Thanks for the kind words guys!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeckniX View Post
    Some really cool lines for sure. Did you figure out your engine? A little turbo would get this thing moving. As others said the black and beige(?) interior really work well
    Engine is being discussed, but still not sure when its going to happen. Its fun to drive as is, but not fast and not practical with the 4 speed. City streets only for now. It will most likely be a B23 turbo.
    Last edited by Keith602; 08-12-2013 at 12:56 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California.
    Posts
    738

    Default

    This is going quite well.
    Good work.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,885

    Default

    Awesome work! Love the interior choice. I like what you've done with the wheels so far, but I feel like there is still room for improvement. Right now they remind me of the old cop cars.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    La Plata MD
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Stick with pushrod and go with a supercharger. B20 bottom end with b20F head, big cam, big valves, DCOE's, and a nice stahl header will get you moving quite well.
    Last edited by gdogg16; 07-16-2013 at 04:21 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg16 View Post
    Stick with pushrod and go with a supercharger. B20 bottom end with b20F head, big cam, big valves, DCOE's, and a nice stahl header will get you moving quite well.
    I have the b18 in there now. Finding a decent b20 would be both hard to find as well as expensive for me. There are usually a good amount of 240s in the yards here in Phx as well as auto parts stores that stock parts for them when things inevitably break. There are a few challenges with doing the conversion, but availability and price isnt really a problem. I do agree that a supercharged b20 would be the shit though!

    I dig your 142 btw

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    385

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    La Plata MD
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith602 View Post
    I have the b18 in there now. Finding a decent b20 would be both hard to find as well as expensive for me. There are usually a good amount of 240s in the yards here in Phx as well as auto parts stores that stock parts for them when things inevitably break. There are a few challenges with doing the conversion, but availability and price isnt really a problem. I do agree that a supercharged b20 would be the shit though!

    I dig your 142 btw
    B20's are surprisingly easy to find. BTW you can bore out your b18 to a 2L and run a B20F head....

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Cool as shit. Good work. get real suspension tho.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Cool as shit. Good work. get real suspension tho.
    The usual move towards real suspension on these is simply shorter coils and better shocks. I'm aiming for at least that, but possibly air. Coils have been difficult to find for these when trying to go beyond the 2-3" mark. I would end up cutting coils again basically. It would certainly be better than cutting stock coils, but I'm looking into some options. Some random spring with the right specs would do the trick.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    La Plata MD
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith602 View Post
    The usual move towards real suspension on these is simply shorter coils and better shocks. I'm aiming for at least that, but possibly air. Coils have been difficult to find for these when trying to go beyond the 2-3" mark. I would end up cutting coils again basically. It would certainly be better than cutting stock coils, but I'm looking into some options. Some random spring with the right specs would do the trick.
    You can use standard off the shelf conventional springs. Lots of guys use the cheap ebay coilover kits for hondas on ebay to get the cars low. 5x7 or 5x8 spring in the font will be LOW. 5x10" in the rear will be pretty low too.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg16 View Post
    You can use standard off the shelf conventional springs. Lots of guys use the cheap ebay coilover kits for hondas on ebay to get the cars low. 5x7 or 5x8 spring in the font will be LOW. 5x10" in the rear will be pretty low too.
    I've seen that too. Some of the guys running those Honda coil over kits have said the fronts rub on the shocks. Not to mention its a very stiff ride. It would be nice to have some travel, there is certainly room for it. Some people have tried Blue Coil springs. I'll figure something out, just need to invest the time.
    Last edited by Keith602; 07-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    La Plata MD
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith602 View Post
    I've seen that too. Some of the guys running those Honda coil over kits have said the fronts rub on the shocks. Not to mention its a very stiff ride. It would be nice to have some travel, there is certainly room for it. Some people have tried Blue Coil springs. I'll figure something out, just need to invest the time.
    I've got a set of blue coils, currently running AFCO's front and back. Talk to Ben at Kaplhenke, he might have a solution for you.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg16 View Post
    I've got a set of blue coils, currently running AFCO's front and back. Talk to Ben at Kaplhenke, he might have a solution for you.
    cool thanks!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Throw on some smaller tires and hunker it down a little bit more and it'll be tits. Wheels seem a little plain, like they need a beauty ring or something, but looks awesome just the same!
    Owner/Head Builder & Tech - Chuck N' Dick's Garage, Richmond, Va

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    562

    Default

    I may do something different with the wheels someday, but im pretty happy with them as is.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •