Got a Photography Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor View Post
    I shoot raw for Static Photoshoots, portrait, landscape etc, but when im at the track, or shooting a motorsport event jpeg all the way. Its a never ending argument at the moment, and until the day comes where you can look at a printed image and tell what it started life as, RAW or Jpeg, it will never be resolved

And HDR.... an overused technique that is used a lot by people who dont understand proper exposure and cant use HDR properly anyway.

Thats my opinon... Dont like it... Too bad
    Completely agreed.

RAW Files are really nice for composed shots, as it gives you a lot more of freedom to postprocess.
    And HDR was well defined by the other users, although I admire a well composed shot.
    www.racingart.com.br/forum

Comment

There really is no debate because every photographer knows RAW is better. Is it convinienet to everyone? That's a different story.

I've always been a RAW shooter and only because I truly value my work and I take my time to process my images I will never shoot jpg. However, I know alot of commercial pro photographers who don't shoot RAW because 1) having to process all the images is very time consuming. 2) Since RAW files carry so much more information the file sizes are huge compared to jpg and storing 500,000 images in RAW format require much more storage space.

Another thing is that some inexperienced photographers want to treat RAW files like jpg, jpg images come out from the camera pretty much set and go and there really isn't much of adjustments to make. RAW images are exactly that RAW and you must acquire a skill that is only learned through practicing to develop these images properly. Once you learn to do this your never going to look back to jpg images because you will value RAW files and the convinience they play in adjusting white balance, color saturations, etc. even after they've been shot or something you may have overlooked while shooting.

Comment

right . few questions

when you shoot raw .. you get a raw converter and then open i PS then resize?

whats the best way to go about this as i havea old PS with cannot open raw files?

and can someone explain to me HDR on a nikon d80

soory my Noobness
        E30 wagon 325i
        golf mk2

Comment

Originally posted by BYZA213 View Post
          right . few questions

when you shoot raw .. you get a raw converter and then open i PS then resize?

whats the best way to go about this as i havea old PS with cannot open raw files?

and can someone explain to me HDR on a nikon d80

soory my Noobness
          You may need to update your Photoshop, sometimes all you need is the RAW update. HDR is the same on any camera, any model, you need to understand what HDR is and how it works before you can attempt it. If you know how it works and what your truly doing to get "HDR", you will know how to pretty much get it running on any camera. Here's a brief: using a tripod you take 3 (some people take more) pictures at different exposures. You take an overexposed, a properly exposed, and an underexposed. Next, your going to need the right software to merge these files together and have it blend all exposure levels into one. Normally, I also take this "HDR" back into photoshop using a series of tools (etc.. burn) I add my finishing touches to the image. I haven't done HDR in some time now, but it's very nice if done correctly.

Comment

yea my PS is oldscholl i downlaoded it limewire a while back lol

yea can you explain different exposures?

i think the images look great

also resizing raw images first then editing whats the best way to go about this

i think i need to start with a PS update might have to go out and invest in a newish one
            E30 wagon 325i
            golf mk2

Comment

yea can you explain different exposures?
              Man, you have to learn to walk before you can run. Grab a book or go on youtube and there plenty of stuff to teach you some basic photography. You need to learn alot more than this (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, metering, etc...)

When people refer to overexposed or underexposed they refer to the little lines you see when you look through the camera, this regulates how the image will finalize at the settings your using, when facing the subject.

Darker

Good

Whiter

does that make any sense now?

also resizing raw images first then editing whats the best way to go about this
              No, edit then resize accordingly.
              Last edited by iBoost; 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

or i just look down at my arm (sorry its backwards)

anyways
                I use jpeg always
                UNLESS i dont have 80% control over the situation. no need to shoot raw if you can get it right in the scene i have found.
                Attached Files
                Disclaimer:
                I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Originally posted by B Rod View Post
                  So, how does one merge pictures in PS? I'm still a noob when it comes to all of this. I feel like there are half the features on my camera I haven't even explored yet.
                  Using layer masks. For example if you take an exposure to expose a car, and then take another to expose the sky, you could blend them together by placing one over the other and adding a layer mask to the top one. You would then either use one of the 100000 selection methods or use a soft brush to blend the 2 exposures together. The best part about masks is that they are non-destructive!
                  JordanDonnelly.com | Flickr | KLUTCH | Twitter | Facebook | v2lab

Comment

i managed to figure out the multi exposures on my nikon its good fun

i need to invest in a good tripod though to take my shots a step up i think

i tried a rolling shots with the mrs yesterday shit none of them worked

what mode?

do i need a tripod?
                    E30 wagon 325i
                    golf mk2

Comment

For rolling shots put the camera on shutter priority mode and match the shutter speed with the speed of the car.
                      http://www.grantzphoto.com

Comment

Why does the image quality go to crap whenever I resize an image in CS3?

Take my sig for example...

Comment

Originally posted by BYZA213 View Post
                          i managed to figure out the multi exposures on my nikon its good fun

i need to invest in a good tripod though to take my shots a step up i think

i tried a rolling shots with the mrs yesterday shit none of them worked

what mode?

do i need a tripod?
                          You really just need to sit down and go read some books. Start with your camera's manual and go from there. Until you understand the forces at work inside your camera and how they interact with each other there's really no point in trying to explain an advanced shooting technique like rolling shots.

A tripod is always a good investment.
                          Jason
                          flickr
                          build thread

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkimmr View Post
                            You really just need to sit down and go read some books. Start with your camera's manual and go from there. Until you understand the forces at work inside your camera and how they interact with each other there's really no point in trying to explain an advanced shooting technique like rolling shots.

A tripod is always a good investment.
                            Totally agreed. There are some good photography sites on the net, they have plenty content regarding the beggining technics.

What about rigs, guys? I'm planning on building myself a rig for my EOS Rebel XSi, as I can't find 'em anywhere. What should I need? Two suction cups, a pole, and two clamps? Is there any kind of specific hardware/measurements I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance
                            www.racingart.com.br/forum

Comment

The Mother of all DIY Rig Threads

The one I had priced out came to about $250, it had 2 F1000 Avenger cups, a manifrotto magic arm, some clamps and a bunch of pipe.
                              Jason
                              flickr
                              build thread

Comment

Hello, i read over the thread last night (and i'm about to again) and i'm very intrigued about shooting in RAW... would this be possible with a bridge camera?

Excuse my newbie-ness, i'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                                X