No announcement yet.

Cutt springs anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i really thought there was gunna be some flaming going down, but everyone seems to be split
    sigpic
    IG: @gman1227_

Comment

you mind posting a picture of the clamp on the coil? or even just the clamp itself? i tried searching but didnt really get anything.

i'm slammed all the way on my coils, but i wanna go just a little bit lower, and just a little bit stiffer.

Thanks!

Originally posted by turbobrick View Post
      i would clamp it before cutting. im not sure on the price now but before it was like $20 for a kit for all 4 wheels. so for that price i would give it a shot. i have only ever done 2coils together, it has always gotten me plenty low and it gets really stiff so doing more i think would be overkill on the kit. how low u will get depends on the distance between your coils. if you have 2" between coils u will get alot of drop but if its like a civic spring you probably wont get alot.

my car as an example.....

OEM front.

Font on clamps...

on other cars i have needed to roll fenders from how low the clamps get it. on my wagon however it just gave it that perfect stance i think, not tucking but no gap.

good pic of how low it got me....look at the end of the row...my 850 on 17" and OEm 850 on 15"

PS the silver s-70 is Mattphi's and the s-40 is another buddy of ours both of them are running coilover set ups, u can see the 850 isnt 2 far off from them... if your looking to go super killer low, then cut the springs or make coilover, if your just looking to improve stance and get a few more inches then go with clamps.

oh and the best part...i got new tires because i was having crazy camber where so to extend the life of the new tires i took the clamps off and the car is back to OEM. with no permant damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Junktion View Post
        oh yea, anyone ever try coil spacers?

http://www.google.com/products?rlz=1...ed=0CCYQrQQwAg
        Coil Spacers? Aren't spacers used for lifting? Can you use these to lower your car?

Comment

Dudes,

I forgot to mention this one. Some guys here in SA actually warm up their springs, compress it,
          then rapidly cool it down. It then stays in this position making the spring "shorter". Ever heard of it?
          Ever tried it?

Comment

Do not heat springs.

Causes all sorts of weirdness.

I like em dropped.

Comment

coil spacers jut limits the amount of travel the coil has. doesnt raise or lower the car. i just dont know if it works

Comment

if they're only temporary anyway... why waste your time?

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by CARADDICT View Post
                  Dudes,

I forgot to mention this one. Some guys here in SA actually warm up their springs, compress it,
                  then rapidly cool it down. It then stays in this position making the spring "shorter". Ever heard of it?
                  Ever tried it?
                  thats a no no....#1 its almost impossable to get the all to be the same so it can really cause issures with your alignment. #2 do you really want to use springs that have been heated to the point of melting and then rapidly cooled?

Originally posted by Junktion View Post
                  you mind posting a picture of the clamp on the coil? or even just the clamp itself? i tried searching but didnt really get anything.

i'm slammed all the way on my coils, but i wanna go just a little bit lower, and just a little bit stiffer.

Thanks!
                  found this pic online of what it is...if you really need the pic of em on my car i would have to jack up the car and take the tire off......

Comment

cool. thanks man! /\

Comment

FWIW my car had cut springs on it before I changed my suspension. It rode fine, and I even was on stock shocks. I ran for 20,000 miles this way and when I pulled out my factory shocks at 90,000 none were leaking.

A lot of people forget to cut bumpstop when cutting springs. That is the key to having a nicer ride.

Comment

i am being a shiste this week, and i dont wanna break my knot for coils, so im cutting. i did it before. it doesnt change the ride at all. just dont be an idiot and go too far, thats how you blow shit out

Comment

Meh I'd rather drive a car at stock height than mess around with cutting springs. Doing it for cars that don't have a lot of options is one thing, but if lowering springs or cheap coilovers are readily available, a much better option imo. Personally I don't see suspension as a place to skimp out on, just my 2 cents

If you're rolling around on nice wheels and cut springs on a car that has a lot of options available for suspensions, your priorities are whack

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                          Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Originally posted by aar0n. View Post
                            If you're rolling around on nice wheels and cut springs on a car that has a lot of options available for suspensions, your priorities are whack
                            Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Mattphi View Post
                              Agreed
                              haha true. but meh. we'll see how i feel when my spacers go on.
                              i already have lowering springs, that i was gonna cut just a small section off of. but dk

Comment

Working...
                              X