Clear All

Cut springs.

Coast to coast, never had issues.

Comment

Cut your hair, not your springs

-Dan

Comment

Depends on the car, also.

If you've got a Civic/Integra, VW (some), or Miata and you can spend $250 and get Racelands or $500 and get Function/Form Type I's, there's no reason to cut springs. It's just too cheap/easy to get something that's at least halfway decent to bother with it.

On the other hand, I might be trying to buy an MX73 Cressida this/next weekend. If I do, I'm cutting that bitch pronto, because coilovers on an MX73 are a fucking nightmare. Lots of other cars fall into this same category, where the only solutions ($1800 SerialNine coilovers requiring welding in my case) are expensive/esoteric and it makes sense to just cut it and hang on until a better option becomes available.

(IMO)

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/u...file/

Comment

ummm just to add another option...i have clamped my springs. autozone sells a kit. it grabs 2 spring coils together. info here...

Comment

has anyone tried this? is it safe? man, that would be awesome if it worked....theoretically

Originally posted by turbobrick View Post
            ummm just to add another option...i have clamped my springs. autozone sells a kit. it grabs 2 spring coils together. info here...

http://www.allpar.com/eek/coils.html

Comment

do what ya gotta do i guess, i would never roll around on cut springs personally. coilovers or good lowering springs arent THAT much
              1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
              Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Junktion View Post
                has anyone tried this? is it safe? man, that would be awesome if it worked....theoretically
                well i have done it to like 3-4 cars already (with the same 10 year old kit) and it works great.

Originally posted by kramerbuccs24 View Post
                do what ya gotta do i guess, i would never roll around on cut springs personally. coilovers or good lowering springs arent THAT much
                right but when your car is like mine (volvo 850 wagon) and you have 2 choices.....$1500+ KW's which are way more than what you will ever need..or lowering springs that only give u a 1.5" drop max and cost $250+ you have to get creative. personally i have never cut springs i have always used my clamps to get it done.

Comment

I purchased some Ebay coilovers for my integra, what are your guys opinions on that? I'm on a budget and didn't wanna cut my stock springs..

Comment

I think Ebay coils work just fine. they might be bouncy as shit and blow in a couple thousand but they work. You could alway use a different strut in the rear and just use the perch springs to lower and raise the car. Thats just an idea to help the bounce though.

Comment

cut springs aren't a bad thing at all. the rate of a spring is basically defined by the diamater of the coil, and the overall length of it (ie if you were to unwind the spring into a straight piece of wire).

thinking about it as a straight bar makes the concept easier to understand. think of how flexy a piece of steel bar is. then cut it in half, it get's a lot stiffer. pretty simple really. so when you cut a spring in half, it's no different to a lowering spring of the same height/rate. a spring is a spring, so to speak.

the problem with cut springs lies not in the springs themselves, but in the shocks. ordinarily, when cutting springs, you're doing it because it's cheap. on the same note, you normally wouldn't bother swapping the shocks out when doing so. but obviously, OEM shocks are never valved to be so low, or so stiff. this is what makes cut springs ride so bad, and why some cars ride much nicer on them than others.

in short, cut springs are fine. theyre no different to a lowering spring. mismatched springs and shocks are what makes them bad.

Comment

Originally posted by turbobrick View Post

http://www.allpar.com/eek/coils.html
                        These clamps may just be what I need before trying to cut. One question though, how low can you go if you
                        clamping two coils at a time? Or can you clamp more coils at a time?

Comment

Haha we get people cutting springs and leaving standard shocks on. Again not worth the risk, really fun when the fall out of place and destroy your car.

Comment

Originally posted by CARADDICT View Post
                            These clamps may just be what I need before trying to cut. One question though, how low can you go if you
                            clamping two coils at a time? Or can you clamp more coils at a time?

i would clamp it before cutting. im not sure on the price now but before it was like $20 for a kit for all 4 wheels. so for that price i would give it a shot. i have only ever done 2coils together, it has always gotten me plenty low and it gets really stiff so doing more i think would be overkill on the kit. how low u will get depends on the distance between your coils. if you have 2" between coils u will get alot of drop but if its like a civic spring you probably wont get alot.

my car as an example.....

OEM front.

Font on clamps...

on other cars i have needed to roll fenders from how low the clamps get it. on my wagon however it just gave it that perfect stance i think, not tucking but no gap.

good pic of how low it got me....look at the end of the row...my 850 on 17" and OEm 850 on 15"

PS the silver s-70 is Mattphi's and the s-40 is another buddy of ours both of them are running coilover set ups, u can see the 850 isnt 2 far off from them... if your looking to go super killer low, then cut the springs or make coilover, if your just looking to improve stance and get a few more inches then go with clamps.

oh and the best part...i got new tires because i was having crazy camber where so to extend the life of the new tires i took the clamps off and the car is back to OEM. with no permant damage.
                            Last edited by turbobrick; 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I guess this will be the official cut spring thread. But does anyone have advice for Tein S-Techs and Tockico illuminas I think I want to cut a coil
                              Never take advice from somone in a position you dont want to be in.

Comment

i have a 05 Altima and have yet to find cheap Ebay coils for it. the cheapest has been about 700 for KW coils, which is more than i can spend right now, since i havent found good wheels to stance with yet. however i do have eibach springs, so i may try cutting my stock springs for now, to get a more slammed look, and then throw the eibachs back in if need be. cause its cheap and easy to find stock springs for my car. just not coilovers, especailly 1500$ Tiens. i DO want coils eventually though!

Comment

Working...
                                X