Rust Rust and more Rust - 95 Mini Cooper & 90 Golf Gti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Rust and more Rust - 95 Mini Cooper & 90 Golf Gti

Hey guys been lurker around here for a long time so I thought I'd stick up my 2 projects.

I'll stick up some up to date photos first then run through a bit'o history on how I got these 2.

First up is my 1995 Mini Cooper. As it stands

My Dog likes to help, dumbass

Its sat on 6x10 Wellers, lowered shocks and adjustable cones/springs. Its had a lot of rust issues and engine issues, but I'll get onto that.

If the link works you can check the whole build thread here:
    Page 1 of 5 - '95 Spi Cooper - posted in Mini Saloons: Well I thought it was about time I started a thread, as the car blew up about a year ago...Right a little back story to fill you in, this is how i got it, bought off my dad when he got his Audi 80 wagonIt looked pretty decent, but 2 years on the road as a daily drive had taken its toll on the old girl. Turns out aftera bit of a poke around from me and then the MOT man it need new floors and a new front end. After all that I got it...

Now the Golf. Its a 1990 Gti, 8v. All basic. Red again.

Its lowered on AP coilovers, not sure how much by. BBS RA's. Ive got another set of wheels but haven't got around to fitting them yet. Haven't got a build thread for this one, well except this one. Got a few plans, but I need to get my piece o crap mini road worthy first.

Anyway, I'll do another post with some details on the build 'n junk.

Cheers for looking.

I love Minis. Those flares make it look super aggressive. Fill them out with lots of tire!

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

Thanks man.

Yeah I need to get it a bit wider, I've got some spacers lying around I might stick on there.

Comment

Here is a brief build on my mini.

As it started

I inherited it from my Dad, It was used as a daily driver for a fair few years, and the salty old UK roads had rusted it out. I tried to fix it up myself but it was far beyond my skill back then.

I took it to a family friend who replaced the floor pan, then to a body shop to have 2 new wings, 2 a panels, a front valence and a windscreen surround.

It then sat like this for a couple years and I used it pretty much everyday.

With my mates Mk1 golf.

Until this happened driving home from the gym one night.

Basically a valve stuck open and smashed into the piston wrecking the head and piston. Great. When this happened I thought the best plan of action was to buy another mini, this one.

I tidied it up a bit and sprayed the bonnet black, No idea why.

It was originally a mini 1000 but some guy had put a Metro 1275cc engine in, with a tuned head, thing pulled like a train (for a 1.3...). It had "big" 7x13 wheels. Unfortunately it took way to much work to keep it on the road and was taking time away from the Cooper, so I sold it and bought a nice reliable car. Or not, I got the Golf. And lowered it.

All while this was going on I pulled the engine from the Cooper and started attack yet more rust in the rear end. Due to some questionable work by the bodyshop and me feelinf more confident I took the rust and rest of the work on myself. Heres some pictures.

Rust

Fuck, thats a lot of pictures.

Heres some of the engine and suspension shit.

I think thats enough photos for now.

Heres a link to the whole album if anyone is interested.

Cheers for looking. I'll get some more later.
        Last edited by RayBoogs; 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Hey man,

I kinda know you from TMF always liked the car sat real nice on those wellers would be good to see it back on the road !! Mines blew it's head gasket on the way home from getting it's emissions sorted for NCT(MOT)
          Anyways say hi on TMF I'm scotty_1987 over there
          I take picture too, sometimes.

Mini content inside.

Instagram.

Tumblr.

Comment

hay man , like the build. i have a mini and im just getting that rear panel on as well due to a rust hole. nice car. keep it up
            build thread

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44777

Comment

Cheers chaps. Yeah rust has plagued this thing. I think I should have probably given up with the amount of rust I've taken off and the amount still on there.

A little update. I tried starting the mini again to see if she still runs. No success, just loads of clicking. I think the starter isn't engaging - great.

Comment

Oh man, Forgot about this!

I've been moving house and haven't had much time for the cars I'm all moved in now, so the last 2 weekends have been busy on them again.

First up the Golf has been getting the majority of my attention, mainly because every-time I go near the mini something else goes wrong with the little heap.

Took the Golf for an MOT at my buddies garage and it "passed". Had 3 "advisories" - Front and Rear offside wheel bearings and the backbox/rear silencer. So I got on and did those

Really exciting pic of wheel bearing box

New vs old

The rear wheel bearing actually wasn't shot - turns out the guy who replaced it last didnt tighten the hub nut - it was finger tight!! Cheap fix!

But the front wheel bearing was RUINED, its destroyed the wheel hub, and is already on its way out again, so it'll be a new hub and bearing next time it goes.

Gave the Golf a quick was a polish

Also got some new wheels to go on, there only cookie cutters but I picked them up cheap with adapters and decent stretched bridgestones, good tread - bought a polishing kit and have been polishing the rims.

Picked up some centres after an age searching.

Wheels aren't great condition, but they'll do till I can get some better.

Done some mini work too, fixed the servo mount, replaced shagged front subframe mounts too (no pics)

Servo and pedal removed

Old bolt drilled out

Had myself buried in the footwell upside down fitting the new bolt

Battery died on the camera after that, but its all back in a ready to go, MOT time again as soon as I've bled the brakes and removed the CAT

Thats all for now, hopefully I'll be a bit more frequent with the updates next time...

Comment

Well, shit. I've neglected this thread - been hectically busy over the last 6 months, work, house, break-up and all that shit.

Anyway back to the cars. Last post I said the Mini was going for an MOT, well it went and past with zero advisories, pretty happy, drove it around for a few months as well as the Golf, but running and working on 2 cars was too much, and weirdly I was getting a little bored of the Mini - I had got it the way I wanted it and I didn't really know where else to go with it.

So about 3 months after the MOT it was up for sale, and it sold fast, first guy who came to see it bought it for the full asking price. I think he's using it for historical rallies now - he was chuffed, I regretted selling it as soon as I seen and heard it drive away.

But anyway I've got a Tornado Red Golf to play with, so that's what I've started doing.

First thing I needed to sort was the wheels, the cookie cutters weren't cutting it and the BBS i was just bored of. SO I found these on wheelwhores.

They're MTi split rims, made in West Germany in like 1989. I'm pretty sure they are rare, as I've never seen another set. Need to lose the BMW centers though. also a few othwre things to sort

Scuffed centre

Wrong bolts

The bolts are the most annoying bit as finding the original ones is so hard.

Anyway done a test fit

Another thing I need to do is the trim, its looking seriously grey, I've started in paces, like the front wheel arches, but the rears and bottom trim needs doing.

Also found this old thing in My Granddads garage

Mk2 Raleigh Chopper. Seriously cool.

Hopefully I'll be more frequent with updates now.

Comment

Finally got round to actually fitting the wheels properly.

Also found some boiled Linseed oil in my Granddads shed, heard its pretty good for restoring black trim, so gave it a go.

Before

After

Worked pretty well.

Still want to space the wheels out on the rear, and roll the arches, and maybe fit some G60 trims. Get it lowerrrrrrr.
                    Last edited by RayBoogs; 03-31-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Pics dont work mate

Comment

GTI looks really good. My friend's got one almost just like it.

Good work on the rust on the Mini too!

It's a work in progress^
                        Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
                        Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Originally posted by axelillo_PR View Post
                          Pics dont work mate
                          Really? They're loading up for me. I'll try and re-do the post!

Originally posted by JRodigan View Post
                          GTI looks really good. My friend's got one almost just like it.

Good work on the rust on the Mini too!
                          Thanks man. The GTi has some dodgey faded paint I need to sort though. The mini was a pain, almost never ending rust. Miss that old thing though.

Comment

those wheels really resemble bbs rf designs
                            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

They are pretty similar. I'm not really sure when these wheels were made, I'm guessing pre 1989 as the country of manafacturer is labelled as "West Germany".

Comment

Working...
                              X