X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This makes me happy!
    Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• Seriously dig the way you approached this build..

I really need to visit Tassie someday

Comment

• Great build!

Comment

• so good man

Comment

• Super excited for whats coming next.

Comment

• Just read through the whole thread over the course of a few weeks. Absolutely stunning car. And great to see a project spanning as long as it has to still be going - far too many fall short. Great read and good luck with anything coming in the future for this.

Comment

• glad you stuck with it, and always happy to see more

Comment

• Originally posted by kaem View Post
                  Just read through the whole thread over the course of a few weeks. Absolutely stunning car. And great to see a project spanning as long as it has to still be going - far too many fall short. Great read and good luck with anything coming in the future for this.
                  Much appreciated! I'm about due for another update!

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                  glad you stuck with it, and always happy to see more
                  Thanks mate.

Comment

• Probably say this every time, but an update is well and truly needed to this thread.

Unfortunately I don't have any good photos of the car to finish off where I last left off, so that part of the build will remain quiet till the time comes that I actually drive the car to get some photos.

To sum up the time between April and now - I drove the car once. But big things are coming..

To start of the update.

I replaced the worn-out factory gearknob when I built the engine with an OEM E46 era woodgrain knob five years ago. Was never fully satisfied with it and finally purchased my favourite OEM period correct knob.

Couldn't be happier with the outcome of fitting this. Love how well it ties in with the interior. The shape, the finish, the classic look. Perfect if you ask me.

Then comes the biggest news.

Air suspension has always been the dream since my passion for building cars began. The price to do properly, which is amplified from living in Australia had always put me off. But as the years have gone on, I've realised that I've built an E28 that I don't drive due to its height and lack of practicality. I've contemplated purchasing a second set of wheels this year, something OEM+ like BMW 5 Series F10 wheels. Then changing the direction of the car and turning it more into a driver's car. But at the end of the day, stance is what I desire, so that wasn't a true option.

Long story short, a friend recently re-planted the air ride seed in my mind one day over a message during a boring day's work. A few days later I was putting together an order.

My experience with aftermarket air suspension is non-existent. I know no-one on bags, and it is a very uncommon thing to do here in Tasmania. So this has all been a learning curve; learning about tank sizes, air-line sizes, different bag setups, compressor sizes etc. After much googling I have gone with the following; Air Ride 3H, duel Viair 444c compressors, 5 gallon tank and 3/8 air line. Basically gone the whole hog with this, figured there was no point using a basic air management.

As I already have BC coilovers fitted that are less than 10,000kms old. I figured i could make sense to try and use those, which would also save me some money. From this I have decided to go with Bags by Only Charged Dubs (OCD). Which are a direct replacement for BC coilover springs. The model of these bags I chose are their new slim double below bag. Due to the large amount of front camber I am running, there was no room for a conventional size double below bag. Fingers crossed these will fit without needed to massage the strut towers.

So, to begin the install.

My aim for this air system is to hide as much as I can in the boot, whilst building a well presented OEM+ neat setup. The tank will be mounted under the parcel tray. One; to maximise room in the boot and two; to keep it hidden. The management and compressors will be mounted in the spare wheel-well.

The starting point:

Step one; install rivnuts in the underside of the bulkhead to mount the tank. No self-tappers here.

Step two; cut a base out of MDF for the spare wheel-well. Also might notice I sent the chrome compressors back and got black ones instead. So much nicer.

Step 3; run a positive power feed from the battery to the boot. I decided to use a bulk-head fitting, reducing the need to run a cable through the firewall.

Step 4; design how I want the plumbing and wiring to look in the wheel-well. With the ultimate aim of keeping it as neat as possible.

Step 5; as all the relays, wiring and plumbing will be hidden in the back piece. That part will have a lid to keep it extra clean.

So, that's where we finish off at for today, next update to come soon!

Comment

• Oh hells ya!

Comment

• Love this car, cant wait to see the aired out pics
                        My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

• My e28 is jealous. Very jealous.

Comment

• Thanks for the positive comments!

Next instalment.

As I'm mounting the tank upside down, under the bulk-head and wanted to make use of the original brackets. I decided to get a thread welded on the "new" bottom of the tank, which will become the new drain drainage port.

Too keep with the stealth boot install, i wrapped the tank in anthracite carpet, which is a pretty close match to the OEM boot carpet. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

The ports will face the front of the car (out of sight)

The boot trim that sits at the back of the boot had seen better days, so that got the same treatment as the tank.

After much thought of where to mount the Airlift controller, I went with the centre console/dash piece, with the intention of recessing it into the vents.

Ending up the weekend with drilling holes in the spare wheel-well for the PTC bulkhead fittings.

Comment

• Such a clean work.
                              I know it's a bit too much, but it is so cool if you can make something for hiding the controller behind those vents.

Comment

• To continue, where i left off.

The compressor spare wheel well setup is 99% finished. Everything has been trimmed in carpet or painted. Stoked with the finished product.

Mounted to compressors using the Airmaxxx isolator kit to reduce noise and vibrations.

Fitted the assembly to the car, started connecting air lines, running the looms etc.

Lid for the rear section trimmed with carpet and fitted. The aim was to build something that was stealthy, easily serviceable, enabled full use of the boot, yet presented very neatly. I think I achieved that.

I then started making a cover for the entire area, which will enable full use of the boot when required.

Next up was pulling the coilovers out, removing the springs and replacing them with the Bags by Only Charged Dubs.

Made some thin rubber gaskets to go between the strut tops and chassis to reduce some NVH.

Rears fitted to the car, plenty of clearance.

Fronts were next, left the struts in the car for the front and just dropped the arms down and pulled the springs off.

And then, the part I've been waiting for... How will the wheels sit inside the guards...

Lost for words.

Comment

Working...
                                X