X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn maybe i dont want a porsche after all

Comment

• getting nervous about the lips i ordered and still havent arrived after 2 weeks

Comment

• Porsche engine rebuild pricing is no joke. It's the #1 reason for my never-ending tantrum agains the 911.

Comment

• where lies the cost? the labor, or parts?

thought i saw a few guys rebuild them in their garages...

Comment

• A garage rebuild will still cost a small fortune.
            It's largely in the parts cost. Keep in mind, a Porsche's engine has individual cylinders and heads, which is pretty atypical in comparison to most other engines. There's a significant Porsche tax on parts, too, and then Porsche labor.

I don't think most of the cost is necessarily justified, but it's at least somewhat explainable.

Comment

• oh yeah, like opposing harley twins stuck together.

sort of.

Comment

• im out for the weekend, peace

Comment

• Absolutely Mike, I agree completely with you. The cost for even garage rebuilds is astronomical.

It sucks because I got the car for x and the cost to rebuild the engine is practically double that.
                  I’m considering at least removing the engine myself and starting the tear down but man, just moving to a carb setup is roughly 6k for the parts...

I can’t wait to get stuck into it though. 911 prices are wild, but a 944 you can do some fun stuff with and not break the bank.

I’m just sitting over here wanting to get an S13 as a hoodrat car.
                  IG: @sebastienaudeon
                  1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                  *pats Sebs head*
                  there there.
                  keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                    I’m considering at least removing the engine myself and starting the tear down but man, just moving to a carb setup is roughly 6k for the parts...
                    I was thinking that to, that would cut cost to some extent.
                    Carb as in cali legal or carburators, why not keep efi?

Do you want to keep the car matching numbers? If you 're not fussed about that a reconditioned longbock may be worth to look into.
                    If you can pull the engine yourself, removing the accessories isn't that bad, cleaning and painting is quite tedious,
                    and if you get a service manual putting it together isn't a big deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post

Do you want to keep the car matching numbers? If you 're not fussed about that a reconditioned longbock may be worth to look into.
                      If you can pull the engine yourself, removing the accessories isn't that bad, cleaning and painting is quite tedious,
                      " putting it together " lol

there are many places one can fail when rebuilding an engine, i would not recommend it to a first-timer. especially when rebuilding something like an old porsche

Comment

• i have yet to take an engine head off myself. if i ever rebuild an engine, I want to start simple

350 smallblock or a VW bug/ghia engine

something with an overall cost of under 3k. so that if I do mess up, nobody cares

Comment

• so many bills this month ugh

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post

Yeah absolutely would cut the labor cost down immensely!
                            I specifically purchased this car so that I don't have to comply with smog!

I've considered getting a 3.0 long block and moving everything over, but even that is upwards of 8k just for the longblock. If I am to keep it fuel injected, I'd still remove the CIS and move to a standalone ECU.

I have built a fair few beetle motors, including ones that make big power. But at that time I had a lot more garage and a lot more tools.
                            For the time being, I am just going to focus on building out the garage to spec so I can start to work on the 911 with a proper space.
                            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                            there there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                              " putting it together " lol

there are many places one can fail when rebuilding an engine, i would not recommend it to a first-timer. especially when rebuilding something like an old porsche
                              Definitely not a first-timer to engine builds
                              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                              there there.

Comment

• Originally posted by sebastienpeek View Post
                                definitely not a first-timer to engine builds
                                well then wtf is the actual problem m8

Comment

Working...
                                X