Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing some lips. Any tips on pitting or am I being too picky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing some lips. Any tips on pitting or am I being too picky?

Like the title says, I'm polishing my lips for my style 19's before rebuilding them, but am having some issues with a few of the areas where the clear was stripped prior to using the actual stripper on them.

It seems like it got dirt/grime pitted into the wheels, and it doesn't want to come off even with 220 grit sandpaper. Should I just keep sanding until it comes out? Or am I being too picky about such small imperfections? My other 3 lip/barrels didn't have this issue, so I'm looking for any help you all may be able to give me

A few pics (best I could get with my cheap digi):

The spots are the aluminum corroding. Like steel turns to rust that's what aluminum does. It can be sanded out its usually not very deep but after polishing I doubt you'd notice it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh, Word? View Post
      The spots are the aluminum corroding. Like steel turns to rust that's what aluminum does. It can be sanded out its usually not very deep but after polishing I doubt you'd notice it too much.
      Thanks for the quick response. I was wondering if it was corrosion since that part of the wheel was exposed for so long while the clear was stripped off it.

I may just leave it and keep going through the rest of my grits, just didn't want it to negatively impact the final look.

I think it'll just be a few spots that only I know are there, although that does get annoying

Comment

Working...
      X