Scott's E36 Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
    Might be an ABS Sensor. Best have the error memory of the car read out.
    Thinking the same thing. Maybe it is a leftover problem from the seized bearing. When it seized it might have damaged the sensor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nixxon View Post
      Thinking the same thing. Maybe it is a leftover problem from the seized bearing. When it seized it might have damaged the sensor.
      It could be possible. Just hope it isn't anything serious like a module or something else

Comment

• So this means I might get a chance to see this car? Very excited

Comment

• Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
          So this means I might get a chance to see this car? Very excited
          Very possibly!

I had a great weekend back home. Managed to get a lot of jobs done to both Tourings with the help of my Dad.

I finally got to see the how the Silver Touring looked after being away at paint. For the most part, I'm super pleased with it. The front end looks great! However, my painter has let me down a little, but that's a story for another day. For the most part, it looks great.

The first job I did was fitting up the bumper properly. I smacked it coming out of someones drive last year which caused a few cracks and dislodged the grill. That's all fixed now. I had some foglight blanks painted as well.

I managed to re-use most of the grill fasteners, I need a few more. Anyone know the part number?

I'm also missing the temperature sensor for the brake duct, so I'll need to get one of those.

The next job was to swap back to standard top mounts. The adjustable top mounts I had have been nothing but bad luck since I fitted them. We were hoping this would solve my steering issue - The steering would go very light then tight, then very light again. Almost as if it was binding.

We thought we found the problem with the top mount being torn to pieces. Fairly sure this was because they weren't spaced properly. Second photo is how they are supposed to look.

Got the standard top mounts back on and chucked them on the car, hoping the issue would be solved. I really wanted to drive it!

But, unfortunately it didn't work. The steering was still crap. At this point we assumed it was the rack, I posted on Facebook to see if anyone had one and my buddy Chris told me to check the UJ's on the column as his had done a similar thing. A few hours later, we had found the problem. My top UJ had seized, only allowing it to turn one way, hence the light and tight steering.

A quick internet search showed a few for sale. I messaged the seller to make sure the UJ's were free and in good condition, gets delivered on Wednesday.

Now that the steering issue had been diagnosed, it meant I could crack on with other jobs with relative piece of mind. Next was the sideskirts. I ordered new grommets and fittings from BMW and set about filling all the holes with waxyol before fitting.

I then went about waxoyling all of the inside of the wings where they bolt to the front panel, I had my painter use all new BMW fittings here too. The front end isn't really aligned properly, so that's another job I'll have to do. I fitted the splash guards with all new fittings too. I really could used getting new splash guards or restoring these ones, they're getting a bit tatty.

I called it a day on Saturday, ate some food with my family and caught up with them.

I went to a show called Cleanfest on Sunday, put on by the guys at Keepitclean. Great show, lots of high quality cars. Weather wasn't too bad this year either! I went with my buddies in their Civic's. The Midori Green Civic won best static, which was really cool.

Whilst I was at the show, my dad replaced a brake line. My eventual plan for the brakes is to overhaul them with braided lines, new discs, pads and backplates. Plenty life in these ones yet though.

I spent the rest of my time at home on Monday cleaning the car and the interior. It was pretty filthy with polish and dust everywhere. It's no where near clean, but it's a start.

It's a bit unfortunate that my extended leather console has some holes in it. I can't remember if there is, but is there a rubber mat you can get for in here?

Really need to pick up some leather door cards.

And now onto the outside!

And my Mum took this picture of me next to both Tourings before I left for London yesterday. (Thanks mum!)

Comment

• Hahaha, look at that silly Scott, looking proud as can be haha.

Good work on the Touring man, can't wait to see it in the flesh!

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
              Hahaha, look at that silly Scott, looking proud as can be haha.

Good work on the Touring man, can't wait to see it in the flesh!
              Haha thanks man! So glad I had the chance to work on it again. Really love that car.

Comment

• Just one more month until I can bring this to London and work on it properly. New steering column was delivered today.

Comment

• You bought a full column? I was thinking about replacing the bushings and bearings in mine from the steering wheel to the firewall.
                  95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl View Post
                    You bought a full column? I was thinking about replacing the bushings and bearings in mine from the steering wheel to the firewall.
                    Yeah. I found a near new one on eBay for £20!

Comment

• Wow!!!!!!
                      95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• Well, actually just the bit that goes from the firewall to the rack, not actually the whole thing. I didn't read your comment right haha.

But that's the part you're going to have issues with if you do. The UJ's tend to seize which leads to horrible steering.

Comment

• I'm replacing my steering guibo with the e34 joint=)
                          95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• Whys that?

Comment

• No more worrying about the rubber guibo getting loose. It just stiffens/tightens up the steering a bit.
                              95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• Ah ok, that's good to know! Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                                X