Ultimate E28 Coilover Guide/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrcanes55 View Post
    The gc kit can go as low as you want. It all depend on how much of the shock housing you want to take off. You can take 2 inches out of it and the car will be low as hell. But you won't be able to raise it back up to stock height. That why I like my kit. You can get a 7 inch threaded sleeve. Which will basically allow you so go from stock height to slammed without worrying about cutting off to much.
    lets say I did not cut any off the struts would I be able to raise it back up to stock height?
    im also guessing i wouldent be as low if I did not take any off. Im trying to find what it looks like if I dont take any off.

I really like your set up im just checking all my options

Thank you !

am on enstagrem 2
    ig: phelan_anufrijevas

Comment

Thank you so much for making this thread! I have been searching and reading like mad recently trying to find some proper information on this. Looking at building some for mine next month.

Comment

Originally posted by FREExSPIRIT View Post
        lets say I did not cut any off the struts would I be able to raise it back up to stock height?
        im also guessing i wouldent be as low if I did not take any off. Im trying to find what it looks like if I dont take any off.

I really like your set up im just checking all my options

Thank you !
        If you want to see an uncut gc setup go looks at rusty slammingtons build thread. Before he gets his air ride set up mike Burroughs got the gc coilovers. I specifically remember him saying he didn't shorten the struts.

Originally posted by M M View Post
        Thank you so much for making this thread! I have been searching and reading like mad recently trying to find some proper information on this. Looking at building some for mine next month.
        No problem! I'm really glad that people are able to take this information and use it to help guide them to what exact suspension setup they want. I myself was in your same boat. I searched and read and asked for months. I finally got all the information I could and decided to compile it all in to one place. It just makes things easier for everyone else.

Comment

Thanks man I appreciate the help !

am on enstagrem 2
          ig: phelan_anufrijevas

Comment

Hell yea! Jrcanes55 I'm in Durham dude! This has been an amazing help to me man. A few questions

Are you cutting the front strut housing when you use the ix struts because this will make it lower, to increase strut travel? I'm still a little foggy on this part.

What are the problems with running a higher spring rate with 1 of the struts you mentioned that aren't valves properly? Will it just be very bouncy because the shock won't be able to dampen "as fast" as the spring will be able to recoil?

And lastly do you see any problems with running coilovers in the front and cit springs in the rear? For the time being at least

Comment

BC Racing now makes Coilovers for the E28.

Here is link: http://customers.precision-sport.com...able-from-psi/

Order Link: http://www.precision-sport.com/bc-ra...er-kit-for-e28

I already ordered my set the end of last week, and it seems it is about a 3 week turn around since the sets are so new, they don't have any in the states just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuel View Post
                BC Racing now makes Coilovers for the E28.

Here is link: http://customers.precision-sport.com...able-from-psi/

Order Link: http://www.precision-sport.com/bc-ra...er-kit-for-e28

I already ordered my set the end of last week, and it seems it is about a 3 week turn around since the sets are so new, they don't have any in the states just yet.
                Yeah I need to update the thread. I ordered my set on Tuesday. at $1050 shipped you can't beat it. I'll post pics and a DIY for the install.

Comment

Originally posted by jrcanes55 View Post
                  Yeah I need to update the thread. I ordered my set on Tuesday. at $1050 shipped you can't beat it. I'll post pics and a DIY for the install.
                  Top notch write up sir! The hard part is going to be waiting on the set. They emailed me today and said that it would be a 3 week turn around from today (3/21) for it to be delivered because of manufacturing difficulties.

I hope it doesn't take that long!

Comment

Originally posted by Fuel View Post
                    Top notch write up sir! The hard part is going to be waiting on the set. They emailed me today and said that it would be a 3 week turn around from today (3/21) for it to be delivered.

I hope it doesn't take that long!
                    Thanks man. It'll be better once I get some real pictures in it.

And yeah. I haven't gotten an email yet but I ordered over the phone. Might give them a call tomorrow and check in. The good thing is they're in Florida so shipping time shouldn't be to long once they're built.

Comment

I'm super excited to see this!! I've been struggling with GC and getting the right info from them, and I know BC are a good product, and usually go pretty low and ride well. Plus it'll save me going too custom.

Are these going to be a fully ready to go bolt in kit? I can't quite work it out from the links provided if any cutting/welding will be required....oh and will they go into an E24? I know they are the same car/chassis more or less, but can anyone confirm for sure? I have emailed them, but being on the other side of the world I won't hear back for 12 hours or more, and I need to know now!!

PS: great write up OP, I've been trying to work out which way to go and was getting close to finally taking some steps towards the custom route you were going, but this BC option seems to be the way to go now.
                      Last edited by Beware; 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

The e24 it depends on year. I think the early models use a different suspension. But they'll fit late models. And no. They are a weld on kit. Back is bolt in though. Deff worth the money

Comment

It's an '86, so it's on an E28 base, not the early model which is on the E12 base.

So what exactly needs welding and where? I'd be getting someone to do it for me as I can't weld.....I imagine they'll know what to do as I'm sure the kit will come with instructions.

Any ideas on how low they'll go, I'm assuming quite low seeing you have bought some and you were all about the mega-low with your custom set up!

Comment

Check this thread out. My friend got set #1 in the states. YOu can see what you weld. It basically welds to the bottom of the strut housing.

And yes. The suspension should be identical so it should fit,

Comment

Thanks for that link(just read it all)....I'm waiting to hear back from the place you ordered yours from on a shipping cost to Australia and they are going to confirm E24 fitment, which I thought would be fine, but they will confirm anyway. I will be ordering ASAP!

I'm splitting my first set of wheels for my E24 this weekend....so hopefully by the time I'm done refurbing them and have them ready to go on, I'll have some BC's ready to go in!!!

Comment

So I spoke to Sean at PSI(Precision Sport Industries, as recommended by Fuel's link) about getting some of the BC's sent to Australia. We emailed back and forth a few times and he was extremely helpful and I wouldn't have hesitated ordering them from him and highly recommend him and PSI, but unfortunately he can't supply me as I have to go through the Australian distributor(which is fair enough I guess).

No problems, the Australian distributor are looking into them for me on Monday and I will be placing my order then. They are looking into what spring rates they come with and then I need to decide if I want to go with what they come with, or go custom.

What are you guys that have ordered them going? Mine being an E24 it's a little heavier than an E28.....I want to go quite low, but not be super stiff, nor too sloppy....any recommendations on spring rates?

Comment

Working...
                                X