This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Package & Ship Wheels

I think most of us on here will find these DIY write ups useful for providing cost effective shipping for wheels, wheels with tires & tires...wheel mongers especially

How to Package & Ship Wheels w/ Tires

Shipping wheels with tires can be costly if you don't choose the right shipping provider & you pay someone else to package them.

Shopping List
    1. 2 Medium Size Storage Boxes (Home Depot has these for $.69 each)
    2. 50 Sheets of Dish Foam (Home Depot has a roll for $6.97)
    3. 1000 Feet Stretch Wrap (Home Depot has this for $4.97, 1000ft is the smallest size)
    4. Packing Tape (Home Depot has this for $3.37 for a large roll, you only need 3ft of tape for 4 wheels)
    5. 1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades ($1.98 @ Home Depot)

Step 1
    Lay Medium Sized box out flat
    Cut Box in Half

Step 2
    Open up box after cutting in half
    Lay cleaned wheel on top
    Cut excess material away

Step 3
    Place at least 2 sheets of dish foam on face of wheel
    Tape dish foam to tire so it doesn't move around

Step 4
    Secure large circular piece of cardboard over dish wrap to the face of the wheel.
    Cut excess material into partitions that will be used for back of wheel.

Step 5
    Use packing tape to secure partitions in place

Step 6
    Use 100% recyclable packing wrap to wrap the wheels and tires in any motion (Rocking the wheel back and forth works well)
    The tighter the packing wrap, the more secure & protected the wheel will be in transit

Step 7
    Repeat 4 times
    Check out ShipNex Worldwide Express for the most cost effective shipping rates.
    Print shipping labels from ShipNex
    Attach to wheels & tires (not pictured)
    Request pick up for ~ $6, or take down to local UPS store

Step 8
    Share with others, avoid high shipping costs from store front retailers & use ShipNex!

Notes:
    ShipNexcan offer the most cost effective solutions to your shipping needs, because of the wholesale rates available and contracts they hold with FedEx & UPS. ShipNex uses FedEx for Express Shipments & UPS for any Ground Shipments.
    When I compared prices to ship a set of wheels & tires (18 x 8.5 w/ 235/35/18 tyres ~210lbs) I was quoted $416 via UPS, $376 via USPS, $308 via FedEx, and $206 via ShipNex to ship from the West Coast to the East Coast.

How to Package & Ship Wheels w/o Tires

Without a tire to protect the rim, special care is needed when packaging and shipping.

Shopping List
    1. 2 Medium Size Storage Boxes: For wheels up to 17 x 8 ($1.12 each @ Home Depot)
    2. Large Size Storage Boxes: For wheels larger than 17x8 ($1.32 each @ Home Depot)
    3. 50 Sheets of Dish Foam (Home Depot has a roll for $6.97)
    4. 1000ft Stretch Wrap- Optional (Home Depot has this for $4.97, 1000ft is the smallest size)
    5. Packing Tape (Home Depot has this for $3.37 for a large roll, you only need 3ft of tape for 4 wheels)
    6. 1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades ($1.98 @ Home Depot)

Step 2
    Build box by pulling each opposing corner out, so that the flaps secure themselves.
    Generously apply packing tape going both directions.

Step 3
    Lay medium size box out flat.
    Cut box in half.

Step 4
    Open one of the halves and cut that in half.
    Lay the wheel on top of the box and cut the excess material away.

Step 5
    Use Dish Packing Foam or bubble wrap around the wheel to protect the lips and face of the wheel.

Step 6
    Attach cardboard squares to the face and the back of the wheel.

Step 7
    Place both wheels in box face to face. (this makes it easier to carry & safer for transport)

Step 8
    Secure with packing tape when the box is half closed.
    Complete taping with the box completely closed

Step 9
    Wrap Stretch Wrap around the corners of the box.
    Go across the top and bottom in an "X" pattern covering the tape.

Step 10
    Check out ShipNex Worldwide Express for the most cost effective shipping rates.
    Print shipping labels from ShipNex
    Attach to boxes (not pictured)
    Request pick up for ~ $6, or take down to local UPS store

How to Package & Ship Tires

Shipping tires doesn't require a box- it's as simple as printing & attaching a label from ShipNex Worldwide Express.

Hope this helps anyone shipping their wheels with or without tires!
    Last edited by SLammed Hooptie; 01-15-2014, 06:00 PM. Reason: Referral Links Needed Updating

Or you could just throw them in a gigantically oversized box, dump in a shit ton of packing peanuts, dish out $250 for shipping and cross your fingers like the last couple sets I've had shipped to me.

Nice write up. This should help a lot of people.
    Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore
    Quitters never stance.

Comment

^^

i would be so pissed if someone sent me wheels like that!

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Originally posted by jacbo View Post
        Or you could just throw them in a gigantically oversized box, dump in a shit ton of packing peanuts, dish out $250 for shipping and cross your fingers like the last couple sets I've had shipped to me.

Nice write up. This should help a lot of people.
        I guess it would be okay if they bought insurance, right?

Comment

No issues with tire damage by shipping the wheel with a mounted tire not in a box?
          @slowprogress

Comment

Originally posted by jacbo View Post
            Not to throw anyone under the bus; but, I ordered a set of DPE for my old E55 with stretched tires and they showed up like you just described. Somehow they were ok but I expected the worst.

Nice write up.
            Activity is not on my list of activities.

Comment

Great write up.

Once, someone just attached shipping labels to the barrels of the wheels, and shipped them out.

4 wheels, no packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowProgress View Post
                No issues with tire damage by shipping the wheel with a mounted tire not in a box?
                I've never had an issue, and I can't imagine any...

Everyday our tires mounted to the wheels on the cars we drive are subject to foreign objects, glass, debris, thorns, nails, etc. Once in awhile we may get a flat, but for the most part we go several thousands of miles in between flats due to punctures.

I've tried *accidentally* slicing an old tire with a box cutter as I was cutting off the packaging of a set of wheels and tires shipped to me as shown above and I didn't puncture the tire.

I think you should be okay

Comment

FedEx office employee

Hey guys felt like I should chime in here as I am an employee of FedEx office and have seen/ packed anything you could imagine.
                  All the instructions the op has posted are 110% accurate and safe. These methods are the most cost effective and best way to ship these items and I have seen others do so as we'll.
                  If you follow these steps you shouldn't have any worries!
                  As far as the comment about insurance, a lot of people have a huge misconception about what UPS calls insurance and it should never be something to fall back on or put all your trust in. Companies like mine and UPS offer a claims process which WILL force you to show proof of whatever value you are declaring if a claim should have to be made. UPS calls it insurance even though they do not work with or have an insurance company for shipping. FedEx calls it declared value because we do not want to give people false information. If your shipping 5000 dollar wheels make sure you have valid proof of the value. I would get actual shipping insurance which is usually available through your insurance companies and is fairly inexpensive. Just sharing what I know!

Comment

Motion to sticky this thread? Mods???

Comment

Used this thread this morning, very spot on prices and very helpful. Thank you for this!!!

Comment

Originally posted by willis View Post
                        Great write up.

Once, someone just attached shipping labels to the barrels of the wheels, and shipped them out.

4 wheels, no packaging.
                        I had this happen. With a set of te37.

Comment

Working...
                        X