Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fenders rolled.. came out wavy. Fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can be made to look a little better but it will not be totally smooth unless the area is filled and repainted. The Finisher will make things worse. its basically a pair of vice grips.
    If your car is the Genisis, IIRC from memory that there is no fender lip to roll.
    I would have the shop pay for a professional repair.
    Yeah, i'm that guy you've heard about that rolls and pulls fenders in SoCal , hit me up .

Comment

I had a shop mess up my quarters like this. I had to take it to a different shop (because I lost trust in the first one) and they had to do some metal work with some filler, finally got it smooth and ended up repainting the entire quarter panel.
      BMW E38
      That White Evo
      -SOLD
      instagram @kbuss
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tonys18t View Post
        It can be made to look a little better but it will not be totally smooth unless the area is filled and repainted. The Finisher will make things worse. its basically a pair of vice grips.
        If your car is the Genisis, IIRC from memory that there is no fender lip to roll.
        I would have the shop pay for a professional repair.

I learned this the hard way. lol!
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

damnnnnnnnnnnn! Thats bad what car is that!? I hope not that shinny new thing in your sig! lol This is ether over rolled(hella fast and slopy) or just fucking bar rolled lol

Some dumb ass i know of did that bar shit to a old car i once had! lol see the wave! weeee weee
          IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

Did they to much cutting and rolling?

So you Fancy Huh!!

Comment

Sadly, it is on the Genny in my sig
              The genesis does in fact have a lip to roll, its just that there's a slight section in the middle folded in a bit from the factory. Wasn't enough to prevent rubbing.

I've been hearing a LOT of mixed things not only on this forum but others. I've had a few people tell me the Fender Finisher can fix it and flatten it out, and others telling me I just flat out need new fenders. Not really sure where to go from here. The shop already ordered the finisher and got it in, I'm supposed to go in hopefully tomorrow. Part of me just wants to get new fenders from them, but at the same time I'm hoping it can just be an easy fix... Stuck in a shitty situation here

Comment

yeah... tough situation. I've been in equally or worse situations with shops, and I'm sure many other people have on here too. You're not alone.

I think it can be fixed, but personally I wouldn't want that shop to be the ones to do it. I'd prob tell them that the wave isn't even really that noticable, so you think I'm just going to leave it the way it is for the time being.

There are irregularities on the inside of fenders that a lot of people overlook when they go to roll fenders for the first time on that model car. Different thickness metal in an area or protrusions that when pushed flush on the inside of the fender with the roller, produce minute or major buldges on the outside of the fender.

Although, the wave is probably from not putting pressure on the outer side of the fender when rolling it (or not putting pressure on the fender directly opposite of where the roller is), and/ or rolling the fender too fast. While I was rolling my own fenders, I noticed some extra flex when I wasn't putting pressure on the outside of the fender directly opposite of where the roller was.

I think the fender could probably be finessed back into shape with a good roller, heat gun, and some time and patience.
                Last edited by cleantune; 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM.
                "well...I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong" -unknown
                instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: Cleantune@Cleantune2

Comment

Well I went to the shop today for them to have a look at it in person. We figured too much extra rolling would simply make it worse, and they wanted to give the finisher a try but agreed not to go too crazy. After about 10 minutes they gave up, said its not making a difference, and they're calling in a paintless dent repair guy to take a look and hopefully fix it.

They claim the fenders came out so wavy because prior to rolling, the lip had bowed out slightly due to intense rubbing (this is true, the inside of the fender was kind of pushed out). They said that 'cuz of this, the metal was already bent resulting in the wavyness. If thats true or not, I'm not sure. I can say this, the metal was bowing out though. The tire kinda pushed the lip out in certain spots.

Either way they're willing to help still and are bringing in a pdr specalist. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

Comment

Ahh good old lasagna fenders. Sucks to hear man, good that they're offering to fix it though.

1988 300zx-t

Comment

It blows my mind how shops can take people's money, do a shit job, and then give customers bullshit excuses on why their work is poop. And I doubt the dent guy is going to help much. Bummer.

build thread?

Comment

PDR guy, just as I predicted, said there was nothing he could do. He explained that since the lip was bent in, the fender lost some of its rigidity, allowing the metal to bow out like that. He told me that if he went to push in one of the waves, it would just pop up on the other side of the fender, saying they would just "dance around the fender" because of how weak the fender became after pushing in that lip. According to him there's no way of getting rid of it without body work, and that would involve Bondo and paint.

The guys at the shop proceeded to tell me again, "this happens, metal bends" and even showed me one of their personal cars, a Mk VI GTI, that they rolled with similar waves (not as pronounced, but still there). After being told by not people only on this forum, but other forums as well that this is NOT normal by any standard, and the fact that its on their own car, makes me weary about their work in general. People are having these guys build full air suspension set ups and such in their cars, if they're cutting corners and ruining fenders, what are they doing on those builds?

I'm not really going to say much, but I will say I don't plan on ending it like this. I'm going to keep in touch with the shop, and attempt to reach a resolution that doesn't simply leave me feeling all the pain, while they're walking away with my money still.
                        Last edited by Itsahyundai; 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjones View Post
                          It blows my mind how shops can take people's money, do a shit job, and then give customers bullshit excuses on why their work is poop. And I doubt the dent guy is going to help much. Bummer.
                          x2

90% of shops that i've dealt with or seen work from have no clue what they doing when it comes to working on fenders.

They figure if they buy a roller and have a try at it they can do it. Its waaaaay harder than it looks and most shops do not realize this until they screw up.

Its the job of the shop to explain all the possible outcomes to you BEFORE they start work. making excuses after is just BS.

i'm sorry to hear what happen to your car man, personally i would sue the shop.
                          Yeah, i'm that guy you've heard about that rolls and pulls fenders in SoCal , hit me up .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonys18t View Post
                            x2

90% of shops that i've dealt with or seen work from have no clue what they doing when it comes to working on fenders.

They figure if they buy a roller and have a try at it they can do it. Its waaaaay harder than it looks and most shops do not realize this until they screw up.

Its the job of the shop to explain all the possible outcomes to you BEFORE they start work. making excuses after is just BS.

i'm sorry to hear what happen to your car man, personally i would sue the shop.
                            I'm hoping to work something out with them before it comes to that. They've been relatively understanding so far, and haven't been giving me a hard time going through the steps we've already been through. I don't really feel that drastic of an action is necessary just yet. In the end though, if that's what it comes down to its definitely an option.

Comment

Regardless if your tyres were catching the fenders prior to them 'rolling ' them, they've screwed them up so they should be sorting it.
                              -SW|UK-
                              Education - Knowledge - Power
                              insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

Yeah had a phone conversation with them today. Getting my full $80 refunded. They refuse to pay any fees for body work or PDR to have it done. They claim the PDR guy they brought in is "The best on the island" and has done work on exotics and quarter million dollar cars. At this point I'm just saying fuck it, getting my money back, and never dealing with them ever again. They really didn't wanna give me back the $80 either, they were still standing by their claim of this being normal for fender rolling, claiming this was simply a risk involved and that it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X