Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fenders rolled.. came out wavy. Fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honestly, you shopped around for the cheapest price, and you got what you paid for.

Im not sure why youd go through the trouble of buying new fenders, when those can be repaired. what looks like what happened is there is a pucker point on the fender that if you cut, straighten, and reweld, will be even. The rest of the metal is too stretched up to that point.

take it as a lesson learned. there are a lot of people who buy the eastwood roller now and say they can roll fenders. If their own personal car came out wavy, how well do you think yours was going to fare?
    Beware before i triple dare you like the last kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryal. View Post
      honestly, you shopped around for the cheapest price, and you got what you paid for.

Im not sure why youd go through the trouble of buying new fenders, when those can be repaired. what looks like what happened is there is a pucker point on the fender that if you cut, straighten, and reweld, will be even. The rest of the metal is too stretched up to that point.

take it as a lesson learned. there are a lot of people who buy the eastwood roller now and say they can roll fenders. If their own personal car came out wavy, how well do you think yours was going to fare?
      Yeah I took at a lesson learned that's for sure. I partly blame myself, but when you assume all I did was shop around for the cheapest price, in that you're wrong. I met the owners of the shop at a local meet, saw their personal cars, saw the work they did, needed my fenders done and they told me they could take care of it for a decent price.

I was a little naive, but I had never heard anything bad about the guys so I went to them. Obviously I regret my decision in the end.

There was another shop I knew of that did a few of my friend's cars, but I heard a number of bad things about them. Turns out I would've been in better hands with them..

Comment

so did the shop end up coining out to fix it? I've been rolling fenders for a wile now. wouldn't say I'm a expert but I've done well over 50 cars now. i will say that in my experience so far you can tell if the fender is going to bow or get wavy before it happens and back off. you just have to go super slow, and in most cases if i can tell or have a suspicion that something could happen i stop and explain to the owner, this is normally only in cases where some one wants a lot of pull or flare. also Mustangs and MK3's that I've found have over lapping layers of metal that don't want to exactly roll even.
        doing it for the internet and the scene kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty_Fresh View Post
          so did the shop end up coining out to fix it? I've been rolling fenders for a wile now. wouldn't say I'm a expert but I've done well over 50 cars now. i will say that in my experience so far you can tell if the fender is going to bow or get wavy before it happens and back off. you just have to go super slow, and in most cases if i can tell or have a suspicion that something could happen i stop and explain to the owner, this is normally only in cases where some one wants a lot of pull or flare. also Mustangs and MK3's that I've found have over lapping layers of metal that don't want to exactly roll even.
          Nope, I had to fight them to even get my money that I paid them back. I'm never dealing with them again, that's for sure.

I was at a different shop known to roll fenders (and do good work) yesterday getting an exhaust fabbed, and one of the guys took a look at my fender. He was telling me that its fixable with a roller. The fender will end up being slightly pulled, but for the most part he can get the waves out. When I come into the money I'm probably gonna go this route and see what can be done.

Comment

WOW...I know you probably wish this thread would just go away already, and I'm kinda sorry for jumping into it so late. BUT that is definitely not supposed to happen. While there ARE risks associated with fender work in general, a well experienced person would never do a job like that.

The Gen coupe has some very thin fenders and big tabs located back there for securing the splash shield. In my experience...it looks like they most likely attacked the fenders with the same force they apply to quarter panels, and didn't remove the tabs before they started. If they also left the roller in place while speaking to you...smh, they were true amateurs because anyone worth the price of their tools knows that's a no-no when rolling. You keep that roller moving anytime theirs tension on the fender...or else, lol.

I know it's too late already, but I just want to mention that I also do fender work on Long Island, my IG: @UMGarage...my mobile: 347-4-FENDER (347-433-6337).
            Just call me Ray...

Click it>>>

Comment

Originally posted by Unclear_Motives View Post
              WOW...I know you probably wish this thread would just go away already, and I'm kinda sorry for jumping into it so late. BUT that is definitely not supposed to happen. While there ARE risks associated with fender work in general, a well experienced person would never do a job like that.

The Gen coupe has some very thin fenders and big tabs located back there for securing the splash shield. In my experience...it looks like they most likely attacked the fenders with the same force they apply to quarter panels, and didn't remove the tabs before they started. If they also left the roller in place while speaking to you...smh, they were true amateurs because anyone worth the price of their tools knows that's a no-no when rolling. You keep that roller moving anytime theirs tension on the fender...or else, lol.

I know it's too late already, but I just want to mention that I also do fender work on Long Island, my IG: @UMGarage...my mobile: 347-4-FENDER (347-433-6337).
              Yeah.. they did leave the roller on when they spoke to me. They wouldn't stop blaming it on the slight bending that the lip had (which I will admit, it did. I ran spacers for a day and slightly rolled out the lip, but nothing crazy dramatic causing the fender to lose its proper shape. It didn't lose it until they attacked it with the roller.)

I'm curious, would this be something you'd be able to fix? I'll shoot yah a text

Comment

Working...
              X