Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fenders rolled.. came out wavy. Fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenders rolled.. came out wavy. Fixable?

I had my fenders rolled by a local shop a week ago, and I noticed it right away but didn't really see how bad it was until a few days ago. The roll was fine, no more rubbing, but the fender came out really wavy. The metal is pushed out awkwardly in random places. Looks like ass. I contacted the shop and thankfully they're willing to help me out, they ordered a "Fender Finisher" to try and fix it. Anyone have any experience with this happening or any ideas on how it can be fixed if the finisher doesn't work? Note, I'm not trying to start a thread on whether or not its smart to get your fenders rolled or anything.

Some quick cell phone pics. Doesn't fully give you an understanding of the extent of the wavyness. Driver side only has it on one spot, passanger side has it almost all the way around.

Rolling fenders is one of those things where the slower you go the better results you get. Clearly you have the roller WAY too tight and didnt keep it moving. Unless you are heman sampson this isnt the way to do it. From here either you can take some of the pressure off and do a little at a time and pull the fender to even it out OR you can get down and dirty and take a body working hammer and knock it back in place. Might be able to cover that area in some good tape and get a body working hammer and metal block and knock it even with the larger area. If you got the wrong hammer you WILL fuck some shit up. You need the Flat hammer and be sure to stay off and hard bodylines if you using the hammer. GOOOOOOOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by VincentF View Post
      Rolling fenders is one of those things where the slower you go the better results you get. Clearly you have the roller WAY too tight and didnt keep it moving. Unless you are heman sampson this isnt the way to do it. From here either you can take some of the pressure off and do a little at a time and pull the fender to even it out OR you can get down and dirty and take a body working hammer and knock it back in place. Might be able to cover that area in some good tape and get a body working hammer and metal block and knock it even with the larger area. If you got the wrong hammer you WILL fuck some shit up. You need the Flat hammer and be sure to stay off and hard bodylines if you using the hammer. GOOOOOOOOD LUCK
      I didn't do it, I took it to a shop for $40 a fender (best price I could get here) I didn't wanna do it myself for risk it'd come out like this.. but it happened anyway. Thanks, I'll try bringing this up when I head back on Monday.

Comment

S2K owners have similar issues with their front fenders since the fender is so thin. If you are referencing the Eastwood Fender Finisher, I believe that should help somewhat with reducing the waviness (from what I read). In general, a lot of modern cars have thin metal front fenders; the usual recommendation is not to use a fender roller and simply employ the fender finisher with heat gun. Most report successful results (i.e. flat fender, no waves). I hope it works out for you.
        "I know I'm not Stance|Works material. I'm just a fan. " - Stretchd8

"Jesus must love me " - FittedDownLow

Comment

How good was the lighting at the shop?

Comment

And this is why I rolled my own fenders

91 S13 Hatch daily.
            92 S13 Coupe HKS SR22
            2011 Scion xb
            1998 Lexus GS400 SOLD
            1993 Lexus LS400 SOLD
            1993 Lexus SC400 SOLD
            I made a build thread :|

Comment

IF anything pulling them out more will even it out, hope the shop gets it sorted out for you!

91 S13 Hatch daily.
              92 S13 Coupe HKS SR22
              2011 Scion xb
              1998 Lexus GS400 SOLD
              1993 Lexus LS400 SOLD
              1993 Lexus SC400 SOLD
              I made a build thread :|

Comment

Originally posted by SeeClass View Post
                How good was the lighting at the shop?
                I guess not good enough?

Originally posted by pjurisprudencia View Post
                IF anything pulling them out more will even it out, hope the shop gets it sorted out for you!
                Yeah I'm just hoping they can manage to flatten it with the finisher. They waves aren't THAT pronounced, the pics somewhat exaggerate it. Worst case scenario, they're paying for new fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Itsahyundai View Post
                  I guess not good enough?

Yeah I'm just hoping they can manage to flatten it with the finisher. They waves aren't THAT pronounced, the pics somewhat exaggerate it. Worst case scenario, they're paying for new fenders.
                  if your fender buckled in at the top id be blowing them up for new fenders but this is fixable. next time do it yourself if you have a roller available even now it would be better for you to do it yourself. just make sure if they pull the fender they do set the roller too low or you will get that ugly flare on the body line.

Comment

They haven't rolled them, they've used a bar/tube/wood and levered off the tyre by the looks of things. The 'wave' is too prominent for the roller to do that.
                    -SW|UK-
                    Education - Knowledge - Power
                    insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

Originally posted by VincentF View Post
                      if your fender buckled in at the top id be blowing them up for new fenders but this is fixable. next time do it yourself if you have a roller available even now it would be better for you to do it yourself. just make sure if they pull the fender they do set the roller too low or you will get that ugly flare on the body line.
                      Trust me I wish I did it myself. Glad to hear this is fixable. Still waiting for them to get back to me, I was told the finisher would be in yesterday..

Originally posted by stinkinrich View Post
                      They haven't rolled them, they've used a bar/tube/wood and levered off the tyre by the looks of things. The 'wave' is too prominent for the roller to do that.
                      Believe it or not, but they actually did use a roller.. idk why it came out like this.

Comment

Did you watch them do it at any point?
                        -SW|UK-
                        Education - Knowledge - Power
                        insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

this is fixable with a roller in the right hands.
                          Float like a Cadillac, Sting like a Beemer!
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24326

Comment

Originally posted by stinkinrich View Post
                            Did you watch them do it at any point?
                            I didn't exactly watch them, but they pulled me over at one point to ask me a quick question, and the roller was clearly on the car. I don't see why they'd go through the process of taking the wheel off, putting the roller on, and then not even using it.

Comment

This brings back awful memories for me. I hope you get the issue resolved.
                              BMW E38
                              That White Evo
                              -SOLD
                              instagram @kbuss
                              flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X