VW MK4 weird arches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW MK4 weird arches

Anyone can explain why most of the vw golf MK4 rear arches look so weird when slammed?

stock-ish:

It's like body is eating half the wheel, or that the car was in a wreck that pushed the rear hubs forward. I just don't get it.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

ummmm

It's the way the suspension works.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

The rear beam moves forward as the car is lowered. It's the dumbest design in history. It can be fixed with centering plates though.

Comment

You can get plates that correct it by moving either the entire beam or just the hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Patryk View Post
          The rear beam moves forward as the car is lowered. It's the dumbest design in history. It can be fixed with centering plates though.
          Aha - that's pretty much the answer I was looking for. I wonder what made them decided this is a good idea to build the suspension that way. Good to hear it can be 'fixed' though, as I'm looking for a winter beater and some of those MK4 are looking mighty nice

edit: found the ecs centering plate video:
          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pabjw-f3RYI"]ECS Tuning: MKIV Rear Wheel Centering Plates - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by TeckniX; 11-06-2012, 09:45 PM.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

I had an Mk4 beater daily and it didn't really bother me that much, although I was really against it at first. What made me decide it wasn't worth the trouble to correct it was learning that some Mk4 owners take pride in the rears being off center. It's one of those Mk4 quirks that just is. It's like a badge of honor when someone points it out and just say,
            Originally posted by andybob View Post
            ummmm

It's the way the suspension works.
            "...it's a mark 4"

If i was building a show car, i might have corrected it, but for a beater i was fine with the payment of explaining it every now and then...

Comment

Originally posted by MrJereMoose View Post
              I had an Mk4 beater daily and it didn't really bother me that much, although I was really against it at first. What made me decide it wasn't worth the trouble to correct it was learning that some Mk4 owners take pride in the rears being off center. It's one of those Mk4 quirks that just is. It's like a badge of honor when someone points it out and just say,

"...it's a mark 4"

If i was building a show car, i might have corrected it, but for a beater i was fine with the payment of explaining it every now and then...
              That's like taking pride in saying your dick curves to the left.

Nobody else thinks it looks good except MK4 owners!

Comment

Originally posted by NickBroderick View Post
                That's like taking pride in saying your dick curves to the left.

I own a mk4 and I think it looks terrible. I bought the plates to correct it but even that doesn't work perfectly. I am picky about shit like that.

Comment

Originally posted by NickBroderick View Post
                  I say this about a lot of things haha. Sometimes MK4s in general
                  025garage

Comment

VW uses a similar rear axle design on MK2 and MK3s. I had the same problem on my old MK3 GTI. I rolled the front and top parts of the rear fender LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by martinm13 View Post
                      I own a mk4 and I think it looks terrible. I bought the plates to correct it but even that doesn't work perfectly. I am picky about shit like that.
                      I should have clarified, I didn't mean all MK4 owners like it, but you don't hear anyone else saying it looks good hahaha

Comment

Working...
                      X