Anyone have dual citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have dual citizenship?

I've been thinking about moving from the US for a while now, but I just started looking into it. I've been reading up on what's involved on Embassy websites, and it seems that for most countries that I'd be interested in living in (Europe), you need to either be an entrepreneur, an Investor or someone with "exceptional talent" (not making that up) to get in easily. If you're none of those, you need to either get sponsored by a company before moving or be from another part of the EU. I'm not sure what they consider an "exceptional talent", and I don't have enough money to be an entrepreneur or an investor.

My grandmother is 100% Italian, and I'm reading that you can get dual citizenship if you have relatives from that country within 2 generations. Luckily RI is full of Italians, so there is an embassy nearby; I'm planning on going there soon to see what is involved or if I even qualify.

I was just wondering before I go if anyone else has a dual citizenship and what it involves. I don't want to sound like an idiot before I go, and there is a lot of conflicting information online (some say you cant have dual in the US, others say they do, etc.). Have you lived in different countries with it? Does it make traveling/working/anything harder or easier?

I'm sure you've already done some research, but here's a link:

https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org...tizenship.html

I had the opportunity to be a British/American citizen but chose not to due to some problems it would have caused.
    Originally posted by Oxer
    people are such stupid cunts.
    fuck everybody.
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    listen to me carefully, go fuck yourself and never come back here again
    Originally posted by Dudermagee
    You're stupid.

Comment

I saw that in my searching, I'm not paying $60 for a guide though.

What problems would it have caused you?

Comment

From what i understand you can only have one? I moved here in 96 got my citizenship in 2000 wich cancelled my old Europian one. Also i was warned if i ever got another one i would be stripped of the US one....
        IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post

Security clearance most likely
          Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post

Career issues as well as a few other things that just made it unnecessary.

Originally posted by Rob&co View Post
            From what i understand you can only have one? I moved here in 96 got my citizenship in 2000 wich cancelled my old Europian one. Also i was warned if i ever got another one i would be stripped of the US one....
            My understanding has always been that you weren't allowed to have dual in the US, but the immigration website says otherwise.
            Originally posted by Oxer
            people are such stupid cunts.
            fuck everybody.
            Originally posted by Jesus Christ
            listen to me carefully, go fuck yourself and never come back here again
            Originally posted by Dudermagee
            You're stupid.

Comment

I have a dual between here and the UK, my father has Dual here and the UK as well (he moved from the UK to here, had a green card for 20 years then finally became a citizen like 9 years ago). My Mom has a dual citizenship with here and Barbados. My Aunt has tri-citizenship with US, Barbados, and Switzerland.

If you have any questions I can ask them, I've been a dual citizen for as long as I can remember.
              - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob&co View Post
                I've heard people say that, but it's not true. There are some countries that don't allow dual, maybe the country you came from is one of them?
                Originally posted by jdel View Post
                Career issues as well as a few other things that just made it unnecessary.
                Would you mind explaining the issues? If they're personal that's fine, but issues and complications are the type of things I'm interested in learning about.
                Originally posted by Kielan View Post
                I have a dual between here and the UK, my father has Dual here and the UK as well (he moved from the UK to here, had a green card for 20 years then finally became a citizen like 9 years ago). My Mom has a dual citizenship with here and Barbados. My Aunt has tri-citizenship with US, Barbados, and Switzerland.

If you have any questions I can ask them, I've been a dual citizen for as long as I can remember.
                Nice, the UK is at the top of my list for places I'd want to move to. When you went to Sweden, were you on a work visa or student? It seems like having the dual citizenship makes traveling Europe much easier, did you have any issues when you went to different countries while you were there?

Is there anything different about life in the US with it? Does it make taxes/voting/jobs different?

Basically, what is different from just a regular citizenship?

Comment

I didn't have any type of Visa, it was as if I was just visiting for 6 weeks, I was paid through the American branch of the company, so I don't have any info on taxes, but my dad has a ton of that information and I can ask him for you if you'd like.

As far as traveling, I didn't even bring my british passport with me (like an idiot), but I can speak from previous experience, traveling within the EU with an EU passport is cake, hell traveling with a US passport is easy.

As far as I know, if you want to be able to continue to vote, you cannot register to vote in the foreign country, and you cannot vote in any of their elections, otherwise your may be subject to forfeiting your US citizenship. Your local embassy can tell you a lot as well. I will find out as much info as you would like from my family however.
                  - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

I know that my brothers and I are eligible for tri-citizenship as long as we do it before a certain age/time limit. My mom was born in Belgium and my dad in the UK. I'm planning to get my tri soon just because I'm a badass.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                      I know that my brothers and I are eligible for tri-citizenship as long as we do it before a certain age/time limit. My mom was born in Belgium and my dad in the UK. I'm planning to get my tri soon just because I'm a badass.
                      Trying to do the same with Barbados.
                      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

If your parents had any input that would be great Kielan.

Has anyone gained it through their grandparents? My grandmother is the one I'd be using, but she was born here. I read on the Italian Embassy website that it can be all the way to a great grandparent as long as they were still Italian citizens when your grandparent was born.

Comment

yeah my country is prob one of them.....We are feared my many lol......
                          IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

Didn't read the thread, but I have one. US and Poland, my mother was born in poland. It was a bitch to get though, we had to go to the consulate in nyc and all that. Well worth it.
                            sigpic

Comment

I am German, I have both German and American citizenship now. Had dual citizenship forever now, ever since I could remember.

Bagged Civic Si | Accuair | Airrex | Full-Race | Skunk2 | Enkei | Flashpro

Comment

Working...
                              X