Vic's Classic Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vic's Classic Roadster

So now that H20 is over, I figured I'd make a thread on this car.

Specs:
    1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
    84,000 miles and counting
    Petrol Green / Blue - Palomino interior
    5.6L V8 - 227 hp

Current Status:

After an extensive search, I found her basically in my backyard. She'd just had a quality repaint and mechanically was in excellent condition. The A/C didn't blow cold and the radio was non-functional, but I couldn't pass up a color this interesting.

When I first started looking at these, the first thing I thought was, these would look killer when bagged. So I started trying to find someone local who had some expertise since these cars have virtually no aftermarket parts. I did, but he turned out to be a deadbeat, so the bags are the next project.
    Last edited by Withers; 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM.
    Jason
    flickr
    build thread

In the mean time, I needed to find some wheels and some euro parts. I stumbled across these, which were pretty interesting. They're HRE 504s - 17x7 et 37 and they use 16" centers with barrels and lips that step up to 17"
    Jason
    flickr
    build thread

Comment

Next up I found some euro bumpers...

Massive improvement.
      Jason
      flickr
      build thread

Comment

By this point it was the beginning of September and the guy I had found to help me fabricate mounts for the bags hadn't even started on the project, claiming he couldn't get metal tubing in. I started to get concerned because I'd first gotten him "started" on it in mid-July. That's when I lost all contact with him, wouldn't return calls or texts and I still haven't heard from him a month later.

The car was looking like this at that point:

Jason
        flickr
        build thread

Comment

So a weekend before H20 I contacted a friend of mine who has helped me out in the past and we got the springs cut. 2 coils out of the front and 1.5 out of the back. We got it fairly low, not low enough but good enough for having such little time. Plus the shocks are blown all around so any lower and I never would have made it to H20. Fucking VA beach and their crap ass roads.

Anyway, now I'm back and had a blast, and the car is looking pretty good. The next plans are to finish bagging the car and then rebuilding the HRE's

and a couple with Ryan's e30

Jason
          flickr
          build thread

Comment

This is the eventual goal for the aired out height.

What I've done so far:

stock trunk

false floor cut

Jason
            flickr
            build thread

Comment

I always loved these, but i never thought it could look better bagged and you're going to piss many purists off for a good cause.. I love the changes amd the plans. DuweDuwe

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

this will be epic once bagged, looks damn good as is tho
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs"]M. Bison "Yes Yes!" Widescreen HD reupload - YouTube[/ame]
                  Originally posted by Kielan
                  I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

I saw it person, I came.

Looks pretty damn good as is and it's gonna look like beautiful sex when it's done. I'll keep an eye on you.
                    sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

nice color!
                      nice car!

Comment

Thanks guys I'd honestly be happy with it static if it was about an inch lower all around. I'm just getting old for riding around like that and the benefits of bags are too nice to pass up. Plus I already have all the expensive stuff from my last car.

But if I sold my management I could get a Canon 6D. Hmm...
                        Jason
                        flickr
                        build thread

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkimmr View Post
                          Thanks guys I'd honestly be happy with it static if it was about an inch lower all around. I'm just getting old for riding around like that and the benefits of bags are too nice to pass up. Plus I already have all the expensive stuff from my last car.

But if I sold my management I could get a Canon 6D. Hmm...
                          I have my '68 on E-level and I wouldn't go back to static unless I HAD to. It's so easy to drive it and when you hit those big driveways, it's worth it.

Looking forward to seeing more on this

Comment

yeah exactly. my last car was bagged and I can't imagine going back to static.
                            Jason
                            flickr
                            build thread

Comment

I think i came... Pure sex!

Comment

Working...
                              X