No announcement yet.

18" bbs rf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

decided to take this one a bit further. going to test out some tinted clears on the faces... Might turn into something interesting. Pics after this weekend of a test or two

this set may turn into something experimental in terms of the finish... unless the buyer really wants a fully polished set.
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Id like to see what your building.

I have a set of 18" rfs in the cards myself that Ill be selling.
      EHRLICH WHEELWORKS
      ewheelworks.com
      facebook - Ehrlich WheelsWorks
      IG - ewheelworks
      Custom Powder coating, custom wheels, and custom metal finishing.

Comment

pics of the parts soon..

here is one of the faces which is the test dummy. entire face was hand polished, i had a few marks on the face which is why i decided to go back down to 600grit on the spokes. might keep the spokes brushed and hit it with a clear tint. should be one of a kind...

so far

336, like you i always have a few wheel projects in the works. currently in the works: this set, 3 sets of RS getting the 4x100 treatment, and a few rare things i will refrain from speaking of at the moment.
        Last edited by 1badg35; 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM.
        sigpic

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

Comment

partial update:
          wheel halves are leaving germany wednesday so maybe next week i will have some pictures of a mocked up wheel.
          sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to these mock up pics! Will you be polishing the "webbed" part of the centre cap so it flows with the polished part of the spokes?

Comment

Yes that was just a temp test fit of the cap. The whole surface will be polished soon. Thats just a possibility, as I have been comtemplating a few powders that might set this off even more. Too many ideas, one set. Not entirely sure where this is going to go, which makes it fun.
              sigpic

Comment

this set is moving along slowly, but i have made some changes and decisions.

centers can be any 5 lug bolt pattern desired (would need deposit to change them) currently 5x120 and will stay that way unless buyer needs something else

I did some tests with a center, and decided I was bored with the fully polished face. I decided that I think this set will be going for powdercoat.. at this point im thinking a metallic grey or a metallic bronze, but im open to suggestions from the person interested. I was glancing through swatches last weekend and have a few in mind.

decided to source some half height RS aluminum caps to swap parts over. RF come with plastic hex caps, and thats not good enough in my book. the metal caps are getting stripped and polished.. It is the little details here that will make this set.

bolts are in and choice is 24k gold plated or triple chromed. obviously dependant on center color

lips and barrels should be here shortly. stuck in shipping and i wound up adding parts to the custom order so it was delayed a bit

centers are going to possibly be face mounted. not quite sure yet, but i am considering it. all depends on what it looks like upon the test fit
                Last edited by 1badg35; 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

decided i did not like the plastic hex caps, so i spent a little time to source a set of RS metal half height hexes. they will now be stripped and polished to match the new lips

lets keep the offers coming. these things would be perfect for an e46, a 1 series, even an e90 gen 3 series. I know as soon as the test fit pictures come out the set will instantly sell, but i would like to get a jump on the process here. I would rather not completely finish the set and then try to sell, although I completely would do that if need be and hold them till spring
                  Last edited by 1badg35; 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

What are the final specs? I would buy them if they were 18x10 and 18x11
                    @sd262 - instagram

Comment

The final widths will actually be 18x9.75 and 18x10.25 if I remember correctly (the .75 width and .25 width is because the german lip sizes typically are spun to the nearest 1/4" or 6mm not every 1/2" like here. So pretty close to what youre looking for. Once the parts come into my possession, I will take pictures of the accurate measurements.

I am going to be attempting to find an e46 m to test fit on, so these may be up your alley when complete. The initial sizes were for an e46m that I was planning on buying, but wound up passing on
                      Last edited by 1badg35; 11-27-2012, 10:17 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

oh and unless someone wants to go a different route, they will likely be looking like a cooler larger version of these. hexes will be polished for the next level of detail, oh and these are 17" refurbs from last season not 18..

im open to ideas and willing to do whatever (to an extent), but I am feeling tiger drylac metallic gunmetal 2 stage powder at the moment

sigpic

Comment

Can you elaborate on which metal half-height hex nuts you'll be using on this set of RFs? I've got a set of 18" RFs built by Rotiform and I'd love to swap out the plastic hex nuts for metal ones. I can post a picture of the wheels if you'd like.

Comment

most people dont know this but the hex from a bbs rs will swap onto the plastic mounting mechanism of the rf. pop off the logo cap on your current set. if both caps have those three locking tabs that hold the pieces together, they can be switched. It takes a little work to not break the tabs, but I have done it a few times before.
                            sigpic

Comment

I was toying with the swap when I got my RFs but didn't want to mess up my caps. Is there a particular RS cap part number that definitely matches up to the RF plastic mounting mechanism?

Comment

Any of the 16/17in RS half heights will work that have the three tab mounts for the original plastic threaded part, the RF locking mech will clip in place of the threaded setup. They are more commonly found on original Japanese RS sets as they more often used the half heights.....maybe post some pics of your RF's, or if OP doesn't want them in his thread, I'd love to see some via PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X