Something different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
    Before you cut these harnesses, the connectors are metripack 570.
    Maybe you can do a patch harness...

Alwasy cool to see progress on this thing!
    I'm partially hoping that because the ignition harness I picked up for an early 3rd gen Hemi, maybe on an early 3rd gen hemi equipped truck there is a 'female' connection so that I can retain the ability to disconnect the ignition harness to help address future possible electronic issues. Once its 100% running, I will more than likely pull all the harness out and shorten / lengthen the harness to give it a much cleaner look.

Hopefully this week I will have the wiring 'mostly' sorted enough that I can maybe tackle the rats nest I have behind my dash for gauges and start mocking up the intercooler how I'd like it, need to figure out a front and rear 'impact' beam as well.

I promise to take more pictures as I go!!

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Man, I just found this, and I love it. Sub'd for more!

Comment

• Back with more!!

Mostly took care of some aesthetic only parts this time around, because I want as much of the engine bay to look good so why not?

I think it will look good, if its visible with everything else installed.

Also fixed up the elbow to turbo inlet for the Intake Air Temp sensor. Basically drill a hole, weld a bung on, grind, wire wheel then prime it.

I think next week I may jump into my interior and tackle the rats nest behind the dash to clean up for my extra gauges. Need to do some searching on Deutsch connectors to see if I can find a female variation of my twin males, then hopefully my wiring woes will be finished, then its just make the intake manifold then bolt everything together and hopefully it starts, then back to paint and body work.

Volo In Timore

Comment

• So,

I need some advice on figuring out what bags, struts and seals I need...

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Hey, it worked!! Check out the latest in video format, still working on this thing. Next step is rebuild the transmission and finish building the intake plenum, I think that will be this next week. just a little bit more wiring to complete as well
            Last edited by DjGreggieP; 01-29-2019, 06:24 PM.

Volo In Timore

Comment

• 5 1/2 years later and this thing is still going.

I'm so anxious to see this thing finally finished. Any plans on wheels?

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
              @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

• Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                5 1/2 years later and this thing is still going.

I'm so anxious to see this thing finally finished. Any plans on wheels?
                Wheels are going to remain the Mille Miglia F20's it currently has until I can afford something different. I've been looking at a few different options, I may wait until the paint is on just so I have a better idea for what finish to get, really stuck between white or bronze, maybe stay with a polished look. And style I'm still unsure about as well lol, spoke, mesh. The car I got the paint code from uses a dark multi spoke wheel and it looks really good, so I may look at going a dark wheel as well.

Volo In Timore

Comment

• More work happening, Test fit the SRT4 intercooler to see. Going to be using a different intercooler that's a little bit smaller tho. Took inspiration from rotary's and V mount setups because of the shape of the bumper.

And plans are to go with a Mishimoto MMINT-UZ

Also made the 'executive decision' to relocate the washer fluid reservoir into my trunk and mount an oil cooler and remote mount my oil filter to the area behind the drivers side fog light. Also going to turn the fog light into a 'funnel' for the oil cooler.

Still need to mount up the proper bracing to hard mount the cooler, then route in the hoses and such. The downside is now to change the oil filter, because of the brake ducts and the hydraulic hoses, I will need to remove the front bumper. Which is fine by me, I will be making it easier to remove, and with plans for adding a functional splitter later, an easy to remove bumper is fine by me!

And that's about it for now, I need to pull the engine soon so I can replace the very worn out engine mounts and give the bay an extensive cleaning to gets years of grime cleaned out. Wiring is almost complete, need to finish the intake plenum and then wiring will be easy to finish, and making the engine bay cleaner will make finding future leaks easier. Transmission is on the bench to be rebuilt, then is all just bolting things back together and getting ready for more sanding, more body work finishing and then finally paint and the final reassembly!! I should really do something with my door panels to make them look nicer...

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Always good to see this thing.

Looks like you tucked a lot behind the bumper like I did. Some quik-latches and/or quarter turn fasteners are a good option to have it off in seconds. I recently put some on mine so I can access the IC pump/heat exchanger/oil cooler etc... easier. I can have it off in under a minute now, no tools.

I'll be more interested to see how you make the transmission live with the power.
                    I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Comment

• Bumper is held on by about a dozen of those plastic push clip and two bolts into the fender at the corners. I'm going to run 2 sets of the bumper quick release per side on the fenders, and some Dzus fasteners under hood where it attaches to the upper rad support. The under side I need to develop a system for it, maybe like a hook and latch or more dzus fasteners. Also still have the brake ducts that attach to the front subframe as well, which will probably stay using plastic push clips because of the size of the holes.

As for the transmission, presently rebuilding it, and going to just run OEM spec clutches in it, hopefully it will survive for the most part, going to tell the Dominator its a 4l60E and control shift pressure and gives us the ability to then also tune boost per gear, keep it at a conservative 7psi in first gear because the shaft that everything rides on it freaking tiny!! Like I don't think its an inch in diameter, so lower boost in 1st will hopefully keep that alive. And then I can push for like 15psi in 3rd and 4th for top speed runs. It wont be a massive power house, but we haven't even touched the engine internals at all, and its at about 320,000kms on the engine.

Volo In Timore

Comment

• I'm back after a long hiatus, life went sideways and the car went into a hiatus effectively. Bad vibes happened and needed to turn away for a bit. But some parts arrived!

It's a tight fit, but I am really happy with it. I need to make it work yet but I am thinking some mounts on the bottom to hold it rigid will work. Also want to 'duct' around it to help the air passing through it to also go throw the rad, which may be a bit tough when I get all of the necessary piping in place. Speaking of piping, there may be some more hackery happening to the engine bay to make it fit but I think it'll be worth it...

Won't use the silicone tube to make the straight and I may use a 45 instead of a 90 there, need to make that area larger for piping to fit through and then determine the location of the throttle body and custom plenum before I get to that point tho, I think it should work, the straight section will 100% be gold wrapped going past the turbo to help prevent radiant heat making the intercooler a moot point, also looking at a turbo blanket to help keep the temp IN the exhaust.

I also needed to replace my old and failing engine mounts, so this happened...

There is a really cheap 'glitter' done on top of the red that is near impossible to get on camera, but should pop nicely in the sun when the colour is on as well.

Now I just have to finish up some engine bay reassembly, and finish up my brake job I started the other day, I really needed to change the brake fluid...

And decided to paint the calipers in red as well because that's worth at least 5kw right?

I do have fresh pads and rotors to go on then I can throw the storage wheels back on and continue the slow process of reassembly.

And that brings this back mostly up to date, I have made the decision to forgo the Dominator setup right now, I really wasn't happy with how things were getting rushed and forced into place. And the routing of wiring was getting really ugly to simply be in a 'running' state. I will still go Dominator, but later. I've watched a lot of Project Binky and I want to do it right once, even if it means it will take longer overall. Right now I want to focus on 'running' and 'painted' so I can enjoy the car since this will be the third Christmas coming up since I started down this path and I was originally told 'be done by Christmas'.

Since I started this painting project I have lowered my Colorado (2/3 Belltech kit), got my Camaro running and driving, and bought a new to me car, which I then wrecked and then fixed and have been piling up parts for a few upgrades on that as well, maybe I will make a separate post for that car. It's not nearly as obscure as an Intrepid tho.
                        Attached Files

Volo In Timore

Comment

• SOOOOO happy this car and you are still around and at it!
                          Sorry to hear about the life situation ... but that's life sometimes.
                          Excited for more updates!
                          Also, pro tip: for more KWs you should put lug caps in bright yellow or green
                          "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                          Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Thank you! Next updates will probably be doing some interior work prep. I want to change out a lot of the fabric to a nice black and red in a durable fabric, may do something like the factory houndstooth style, but in something durable and nice. Its a deep hole I'm in so may as well make the best of it right?

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Volo In Timore

Comment

• So, there's paint on the car now...

Looks a lot better with the clearcoat tho...

Now comes reassembly....
                                Attached Files

Volo In Timore

Comment

Working...
                                X