No announcement yet.

project life support ( pony content )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life has been in the way but progress never stopped. I don't have any pics of the rear on this phone but I'll make an update for the front. Basically it now has a 240sx front subframe, 240 knuckles and everything else is custom, I fabricated the control arms and all the mounts. I custom built an oil pan with trap doors and baffles to fit around the subframe and suspension.

Made a jig for modified knuckles

Welded knuckle and my unfinished brackets for 4 pot brembo calipers with 13" cobra rotors

Hopefully I'll get on it tomorrow and take some pics of the rear!!
    Last edited by smokenyall; 10-02-2018, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Since I left off with the front suspension, let's start with that.
      240sx front subframe, engine mounts cut off subframe, was reinforced and rack moved 3/4" forward.

I built a bracket that uses the stock steering box mounting holes and mounted a 3/4" heim to support the lower half of the steering column and the steering shaft. Also built a steering shaft to mount to the rack and the factory column.

I also built this contraption to mount the the factory shock towers, relocate the upper strut mount outwards and made an extension off the sides to mount to the other factory shock tower bolt holes.

Kinda a bad pic but you can see how it relocates it outward.

Here's the front end fully assembled but just ignore the coilover being all the way down, I was checking full bump travel with the spring and bump stop off.

Here's a few of the finished lca and with adjustable lock stops and ignore the inner tie rod, I temporarily extended them for the longer lca's.

Onto some pics of the rear, subframe is fully mounted and welded.

A close up of one of the front subframe mounts.

Here's where the rear coilover ended up getting mounted. Just in front of the rear axle, there mounted inverted and I made an adjustable upper mount. The bolt holes are 1" apart and the bolt hole in the upper bracket is offset. That means if I flip the bracket i can raise or lower the rear by .5" or if I move it a bolt hole it will change it by 1". Just needs to be finish welded.

Well I guess that's all the progress I've made over the last 4years since the last update. But there was multiple times I didnt work on the car for 6-8 months.

Comment

• Good to see this coming along!

I may have missed it, but what model Benz did the brakes come from?
        Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
          Good to see this coming along!

I may have missed it, but what model Benz did the brakes come from?
          Thanks man!! The calipers are off an 04 s500 Mercedes also known and the w220 chassis, you can see my s class creepin in the back of one of the oil pan pics. Also the front and rear rotors are off a 99-04 mustang cobra.

Comment

• This thing is insane! I'm so glad to see you still at it. Keep up the amazing work!
            http://cdn.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17224

Comment

• UPDATE!!!!!
              anyways been doing allot of sheet metal work.
              Cut out all the rust in the passenger side floor, made a patch panel and welded it in.

Same on the drivers side except allot more rust.

Finally sheet metal for the rear, made with a bead roller and a metal brake that I built.

Paused on that to build some seat mounts that also act as a brace for the chassis.

Kinda hard to see what's going on but I'm building braces to tie my frame into the rear roof structure.

Super blurry but it's the braces welded in.

Hard to see but there's a layout on the panel.

Put these little guys in the bolt holes to mark all the locations of needed holes.

It's been years but the seat still fits!!!

More as it happens!!
              Last edited by smokenyall; 05-01-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Great work! So happy this is still going on.
                Love your work and the way the rear panel came out. Could you share pictures of the bead roller and brake that you made? Looking into option to make my own as well. Keep it up
                "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• WOW!!! Fabbing skills are incredible, love this build
                  My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                  http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

• Dude! This is awesome, love your progression in fabrication and how this is becoming more and more custom with every update

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Love the bead-rolled panel, even if it is hidden behind the seats. Now that is craftsmanship!

Great work.

Comment

• Thank you for all the kind words!
                        This is the metal brake that I made out of scrap for creating the edges. Oh and I dont have a pic but the bead roller I use is made by woodward fab.

I built this setup for the fuel cell.

Built straps for the fuel cell.

Built steel tension rods to replace the aluminum ones I bought

Built poly mounts for the rear diff and moved the diff back one inch.

Built these little guys because the front diff bolts are a little hard to get in.

Diff mounted

You can see how tucked the diff and aluminum driveshaft is

And at this point I stopped taking pics but I plumbed the fuel system, front brakes, temporarily hooked up the tail lights and then this happened.

You can see how flat the rear geometry is at this low height

Still far from finished but I finally drove her after 6 long years and I couldn't be happier.
                        Last edited by smokenyall; 10-22-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Well well well!
                          Congrats on the maiden drive, I know the feeling!
                          Car looks really good ... in for more
                          "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                          Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• I really need to update this. Long story short I've been driving it allot, broke some stuff, killed allot of tires and just been enjoying it. Here's a video from my 4th practice day. Was my last run and towards the end I started left foot braking trying to kill my tires
                            Last edited by smokenyall; 05-26-2021, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• The drone video it was still carbureted and ran like shit as soon as it got sideways. The other video it's fuel injected, I need to add allot here lol.

Comment

• Glad to see it out driving and drifting. Cant wait to see more of it.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X