Saving a Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rali@BagRiders View Post
    Looking forward to this build. I absolutely love Mk2 coupes!
    me too I've always wanted one.

were you at V.A.G. Fair? I think I met you with Fuzzy

(forgive me that weekend was a blur haha)
    Lower your expectations, you'll be much happier.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Originally posted by getamongst-it View Post
      me too I've always wanted one.

were you at V.A.G. Fair? I think I met you with Fuzzy

(forgive me that weekend was a blur haha)
      Yeah I was, and don't worry about it... I know what you mean!

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

3 hours of wire wheeling later...

almost done prepping the bay. just gotta finish up the passenger side, give it a quick sanding and priming it Sunday.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

been getting a lot done but not really anything photo-worthy.

The bay is fully prepped for primer, taped off, doing that tomorrow night. I also put the mint spare trunk and passenger door on the car tonight.

Then I spent a good amount of time with the needle scaler going at the floor of the car. Being that I literally "saved" this car from rotting at a buddies house, it had standing water in the car when I received it. The needle scaler is really the only way to chip all the shitty factory filler off the floor and liberate all the surface rust. Luckily, I'll only need to patch a small spot behind the driver seat where it rotted around a plug.

I decided to go with an "aluminum" colored rust protective paint. I feel like it's easier to see and make sure you have full coverage than the gloss black stuff. Eventually I want to dynomat the floor to make the inside of the car quieter, but after this is all coated i'm going to get some 1/2" speckle foam for now and cut it to fit under the carpet.

here's a random shot of the super mint black trunk. just gotta put the early GLI spoiler on it. I'll probably do that after paint though

Last edited by getamongst-it; 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

etching primer is done on the bay. 2K Urethane next and picking up the paint tomorrow. it'll be done this weekend

also got some more done on the floor

Last edited by getamongst-it; 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Can't wait to see the bay finished.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

not the update I wanted, but an update nonetheless

sprayed the bay with 2K urethane. just gotta wet sand, seal it tomorrow night and then shoot the paint.

While that was drying I decided to do something I could actually finish tonight. It's easy to get sick of taking things apart and painting stuff with no end in sight. Body work is so discouraging to me. So what I did was gouge some bad filler out of the trunk, touch up the paint & install the carpets. At some point I'm going to pull the side carpets again, clean them and possibly dye them so they're darker.

Eventually I plan to make a nice dark hardwood faux floor for the car. (something I always wanted to do).

Last edited by getamongst-it; 09-03-2012, 12:53 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

love builds like this! in!

Comment

The early foam GLI spoiler has always been one my favorite trim details for MKII Jettas. I think it makes the cars look a lot better.

I was lucky enough to get this super minty one with the shell when I bought it so naturally it had to go on the car.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

THIS is the update I've been lookin for. Never painted anything before in my life but I sprayed the bay tonight... shit is BRIGHT!

feels good, man.

So the color obviously bears some explanation now... it's 1994 FD RX7 "Chaste White". Basically this is the brightest white available with no pearl or metallic. The whole car will be done in this color. Going with PPG single stage (I can already hear the grumbling) but I've seen this stuff layed down before in white and it looks phenomenal. This is not a show car, which is also why I didn't shave the bay, and it'll do the job as you can see above

plans for the rest of the build (lets see if I can stick to them) are as follows:

-finish the floor tomorrow night
                      -pull in the wiring this weekend
                      -order from German Auto Parts should be here early next week with a few misc items, tranny can go on the motor and the whole front subframe can bolt right in.
                      -the car will be running & driving before going to paint on the 17th. I'll have it back by the end of that week to finish up all the odds & ends with the trim and final assembly.
                      Last edited by getamongst-it; 09-05-2012, 11:22 PM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Originally posted by getamongst-it View Post
                        THIS is the update I've been lookin for. Never painted anything before in my life but I sprayed the bay tonight... shit is BRIGHT!

feels good, man.

So the color obviously bears some explanation now... it's 1994 FD RX7 "Chaste White". Basically this is the brightest white available with no pearl or metallic. The whole car will be done in this color. Going with PPG single stage (I can already hear the grumbling) but I've seen this stuff layed down before in white and it looks phenomenal. This is not a show car, which is also why I didn't shave the bay, and it'll do the job as you can see above

plans for the rest of the build (lets see if I can stick to them) are as follows:

-finish the floor tomorrow night
                        -pull in the wiring this weekend
                        -order from German Auto Parts should be here early next week with a few misc items, tranny can go on the motor and the whole front subframe can bolt right in.
                        -the car will be running & driving before going to paint on the 17th. I'll have it back by the end of that week to finish up all the odds & ends with the trim and final assembly.
                        Weird my sister's boyfriend recently picked up a '94 FD in "Chaste White"... Freshly resprayed too. Absolutely stunning color in person.
                        1981 300TD 4 speed
                        2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                        , on Flickr
                        IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Nothing wrong with single stage. The only thing I say about single stage is to make sure you lay it down nice. You won't have lots of paint on there to wet sand out orange peel without going through it.

That color is super sexy. Its real close to my car.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalFocus View Post
                            Nothing wrong with single stage. The only thing I say about single stage is to make sure you lay it down nice. You won't have lots of paint on there to wet sand out orange peel without going through it.

That color is super sexy. Its real close to my car.
                            Thanks! I absolutely love the color. I've always wanted an FD and I've always wanted a white coupe so this is bringing in a little of that.

I'm having someone professionally spray the car for me in an actual booth, he's good and I have his guarantee it'll be laid down perfect.

I'll be honest, I don't have enough patience or confidence in my painting abilities to take on the whole car. I will be putting the car in primer for him though, which I can handle lol.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

floor is done & the bay is starting to come together. the pedal cluster is in. running all the wiring tonight and putting the heater box back in. Now is the time for mechanical stuff where this starts moving really quickly. yes, I'm leaving the washer tank in there. I like a clean windshield eventually I may relocate it and get a smaller one... but again, this car is going to be driven hard.

on the agenda this week:
                              -split trans, install new seals & 100mm axle cups, and bolt up to the motor
                              -bolt in front subframe & run this bitch

The car is going to paint later next week and I'll be hitting it with primer quick before then.

Last edited by getamongst-it; 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Keep up the good work, i miss my coupe so bad it hurts.
                                Join the dark side:The Boog Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X