Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a Coupe

1987 Jetta Coupe - Pirelli Edition

you can also follow this build on Tumblr.

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for iPhone pictures, real pictures, and general lack of giving a shit about resizing anything. I write a lot so if you aren't interesting in reading, keep scrolling. :cheers:

I scored this from a buddy for $250, it's been sitting in his yard for a few years but this car has some history. He got it back after selling it to a kid who ruined it by spray bombing it and selling everything cool out of it. It was owned by 3 people I know of, and the farthest back I can tell was my friend Josh who VR swapped it in the early 00's. It used to be black and pretty sharp.

I figured I should actually start a build thread for this car, as it'll keep me motivated to work on it. I have way too many hobbies and fun often distracts me more than anything.

I've had MKIIs for years, this is my 3rd one and probably my last build of one before going on to something different. I've always loved how the later ones are just modern enough to enjoy a long drive, and just raw enough to have fun beating on tearing down some twisty back roads. That connected feeling that's missing from a lot of newer cars is what makes them so fun.

The direction of this build is going to be a driver's car. At some point I'd like to do a wire tuck just to make it a little cleaner & easier to work on under the hood but I'm not getting crazy and shaving the bay or doing any gnarly bodywork. I like being able to get in my car and comfortably go on a 4 hour+ drive, and obviously have it look good and handle well. It's not going to be a show car but it will have fresh paint, a nice set of wheels (what I have in mind at the moment is very appropriate) and of course it will be low.

Rust has taken it's toll on my 92 4dr which I've owned for about 7 years now. The floors are gone, seat rails are getting sketchy and you can hardly even jack it up safely anymore. Time to put it to bed. The chassis is ruined, but mechanically it's top notch and everything that made this car good to me is going into the coupe.

Some of you might know my old car:
    Last edited by getamongst-it; 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM.
    Lower your expectations, you'll be much happier.

Oh, and your car too.

Being that the coupe sat outside for the past several years, It's unbelievable that it has no rust at all. There's light surface rust on the floor inside which is going to be sanded & painted but the underside is clean as can be.

I moved recently to a new apartment from a house I was renting, and that meant all my toys and tools needed a new home. It's been rough financially but nothing is better than a huge workspace to play in.

Moved my cars into the shop (along with a bunch of other garbage) and still had room to store a buddy's car for the winter too.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

I'm not putting a VR in this, so naturally all that had to come out. Found a little surface rust under the fender of all places, looked like someone started sanding off all the undercoat. I'll deal with that shortly. Sold all the VR swap parts to a buddy locally.

As far as the drivetrain goes, the coupe is going to be gettin everything from the 4dr.

-2.0L 9A 16v running on Digi2
      This motor has been nothing but good to me, swapped it a few years ago and since it's had some Autotech cams, head reworked, head gasket, timing belt etc so its pretty fresh.

-ACN long-ratio tranny from a diesel MKII (for that highway cruising)

Then started gutting the red car for everythin it has to offer.

Pulled this shitty 90s alarm after years of it hiding in my dash/wiring harness. When I first bought the red car it wouldn't start one day. I found a toggle switch under the dash that I had kicked and this pile of crap jimmied into the harness so bad I didn't want to touch it. now, 6 years later this thing is finally gone.
      Last edited by getamongst-it; 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Yeaaahh buddy! good to see somebody getting some work done.

*edit* Also, extremely jealous of your workspace.

Comment

Aww yeee!
          Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
          2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

in for more.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

make us happy

Comment

Sub'd
                Can't wait to see le coupe in action.

Comment

Subd'

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                  http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

In for more!
                    sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

I've been attending Waterfest since 2004 and this was the first year I was going to intentionally skip. Granted I really really appreciate every show and all the effort that goes into them, but for me personally the show has gone a little downhill with less support for older cars from and less older cars in show/exhibition to check out for inspiration. (can you tell which cars I like seeing?) Generally douchey/loud/annoying crowds of people, blistering heat, and Jersey traffic makes Waterfest something I wasn't looking forward to like I used to enjoy so much.

Anyways, I was in need of some fenders so a buddy and I day tripped down yesterday and stayed at the show for about 2 or 3 hours, did some shopping and saw our buddies at Gengstout and a few others. Picked up these euro fenders from APtuning and I was pleasantly surprised by some things I got from the swap meet area too. Scored a 16v glove box for $20 as well as some other small odds & ends like a spare defrost switch (think mine might be dead) and some bumper clips. Someone was giving away a set of Tiguan rear carpets, so I snagged those because they fit in just about anything.

Lastly I met a pretty cool dude who has owned over 40 MKIIs in his life so I think I found a pretty good parts source if I need anything small and he might want to buy the t-red doors off my 4dr. One thing about these cars is that most people who own one today in 2012 love them to death and have had more than one. They're really something you become quite partial to over the years and the ownership is starting to thin out to just the people who are really into them rather than just a commonly modded car as they all die slow rusty deaths.

Last edited by getamongst-it; 07-23-2012, 09:24 AM.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

So this isn't too much of an update but I finally got the power turned on in my shop! I sold a mess of dirtbike parts and the tranny out of the red car too, finally cleaning house a bit.

The local electric company requires a $300 deposit just to turn on the electric for my unit since it's considered a commercial account and I just haven't had the cash I could piss away until now. I guess I get the $300 back when I leave (as opposed to after 1yr with residential) but I plan on keeping this place for a while, possibly until I buy a house.

I've got a lotta work to do, and I'm gonna be there for a good 4 or more hours tonight. I've shifted my goals a little bit temporarily to make sure this car gets to H2O but it will be there. I'm going to save the wire tuck until this winter when I can really put some time into making it nice under the hood.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

got some goodies I've been waiting for!

-a MINT set of fat trim & quarter flares for a coupe. pretty hard to come by these days, and definitely one of my favorite details for the car.

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

I love finding/getting OEM parts like that. No one would ever really know unless they really know the model.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

Originally posted by linabronson
                              so naturally all that had to come out
                              all what had to come out?

everything out of the red car? yes so i can use it to build the coupe shell

Oh, and your car too.

Comment

Working...
                              X