No announcement yet.

Atom's 2 door Amazon wagon Project:Headquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your fabrication skills are off the chart! It's nice yo see you approach a problem and tackling it no matter what needs to be done. congrats

It's too bad you decided to swap the amazon for an e30. And one with an m20 still in it at the boot. I was a bit surprised after reading all this thread, that you threw it all away. There was such a buildup, the amazing engine, the 2 door wagon amazon, everything. Turned into a bodydrop on an e30. what a let down. Don't get me wrong it's still nice and looks georgous, only, there is a reason they let you into the e30 picnic.... This is a reskinned e30 now. It's seems a bit weird to do this then work hard to go back to the original amazon look. (like with the dash) I get that at least it drives now, or the e30 drives? Anyways, kinda feel like its just not the same car anymore... Just a hollow shell on top on another car. maybe its just me.

and since its now a bmw, I say fully embrace it and throw in an s50 instead.
    Ruining cars since 2006 yo

Comment

• Originally posted by Meeve View Post
      Your fabrication skills are off the chart! It's nice yo see you approach a problem and tackling it no matter what needs to be done. congrats

It's too bad you decided to swap the amazon for an e30. And one with an m20 still in it at the boot. I was a bit surprised after reading all this thread, that you threw it all away. There was such a buildup, the amazing engine, the 2 door wagon amazon, everything. Turned into a bodydrop on an e30. what a let down. Don't get me wrong it's still nice and looks georgous, only, there is a reason they let you into the e30 picnic.... This is a reskinned e30 now. It's seems a bit weird to do this then work hard to go back to the original amazon look. (like with the dash) I get that at least it drives now, or the e30 drives? Anyways, kinda feel like its just not the same car anymore... Just a hollow shell on top on another car. maybe its just me.

and since its now a bmw, I say fully embrace it and throw in an s50 instead.
      I can appreciate your opinion, and I thought a lot about this before I started. The thing is, to me, the only part of the Amazon that is better than the E30 is the part I kept. The Amazon seats aren’t better. The Amazon suspension isn’t better. The Amazon brakes, steering, engine, transmission, etc isn’t better. I’m aware you can’t please everyone, and at the end of the day I just need to please myself, but I honestly feel like I upgraded the Amazon in just about every way. I get plenty of BMW people telling me I ruined an E30, and I get plenty of Volvo people telling me I ruined an Amazon. Heck, I get Amazon people telling me I ruined it just by converting it to two doors.

It’s just a car. Well, more like three + cars, but it’s metal and plastic and vinyl. The enjoyment I get in these builds is the fabrication. The problem solving. That’s what I enjoy, so in that sense I’d say it’s been pretty successful for me. It puts a smile on my face every time I start it up and go for a drive. That’s enough for me.
      Last edited by Atom; 10-07-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atom View Post
        I can appreciate your opinion, and I thought a lot about this before I started. The thing is, to me, the only part of the Amazon that is better than the E30 is the part I kept. The Amazon seats aren’t better. The Amazon suspension isn’t better. The Amazon brakes, steering, engine, transmission, etc isn’t better. I’m aware you can’t please everyone, and at the end of the day I just need to please myself, but I honestly feel like I upgraded the Amazon in just about every way. I get plenty of BMW people telling me I ruined an E30, and I get plenty of Volvo people telling me I ruined an Amazon. Heck, I get Amazon people telling me I ruined it just by converting it to two doors.

It’s just a car. Well, more like three + cars, but it’s metal and plastic and vinyl. The enjoyment I get in these builds is the fabrication. The problem solving. That’s what I enjoy, so in that sense I’d say it’s been pretty successful for me.
        You've got the right attitude!! It's the surprise effect that cause this reaction with me, this being and old thread and reading all the other updates first. If I'd seen the bodydrop from the start, I would have been all over it lol. It's a great idea, like you said, an e30 is a lot more functionnal than an amazon. It's alway really cool to see someone do something like that too! it's not something you get to see in depth everyday, so thanks for that! Keep the update coming! If you keep going like you did that interior will be dope when your done with it! And the engine swap too! I don't have half the skill you do but seing what you do gives me the motivation to keep getting better. Until I can do stupid things like a bodydrop and piss everyone off like you do LOL. Cheers

Comment

• LOL @ worrying about Pick a Part wheel stands and weird concept-bashing. Meeve must really **** E30s or something, haha.

I can't wait to see the dash and engine done!

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

• Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
            LOL @ worrying about Pick a Part wheel stands and weird concept-bashing. Meeve must really **** E30s or something, haha.

Hey, bmw was actualy the first brand to win my hearth. My first one was a 535/5 e34, just like yours I've had many a bmw since then, volvos too. I dislike no brand but surely love some more than others.

That said, I was quite tired when I've made my first comment, so it came out harsher then usual. This project is definitly dope, I was only surprised at 4h30 am by that turn of event lol. I'm over it now and in love with this project again loll. Carry-on.

Comment

• Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
              LOL @ worrying about Pick a Part wheel stands and weird concept-bashing. Meeve must really **** E30s or something, haha.

Hey, bmw was actualy the first brand to win my hearth. My first one was a 535/5 e34, just like yours I've had many a bmw since then, volvos too. I dislike no brand but surely love some more than others.

That said, I was quite tired when I've made my first comment, so it came out harsher then usual. This project is definitly dope, I was only surprised at 4h30 am by that turn of event lol. I'm over it now and in love with this project again loll. Carry-on.

Comment

• Haven’t really done anything on my own car. Was traveling for work among having a foreign exchange student staying with us. Trying to get my brother his car back too. Got his head back from the machine shop. Had to check valve lash since it got all new valves and this car runs solid buckets. Volvo LOVES them some “special tools” so I just made my own cam clamp (also put handles on it to help with install) so I could hold the cam down and get feeler gauges in there.

All looks within spec, so I’m going to start reassembly this weekend.

Comment

• Can we walk through oil pan stuff together? Trying to look at the discrepancies from RN to RNC engines.

So, RNC oil path (as I understand it):

Pickup into pump:

Out of pump into oil cooler:

Cooler inlet and outlet:

Then to oil filter on the side of the block:

RN (in this case B6304):

Pickup into pump:

Out of pump into filter:

Out of filter into block:

(Note that this port exists in the RNC block, but is blocked off by the pan):

So, if I want to use the rear sump pan, do I just need to black off the oil filter in/out on the side of the block and just use the bottom mount filter?

Thoughts?

Comment

• remote mount filter?

Comment

• Well, it’s a bit more involved than that. I need to to be sure that pressure gets where it needs to be.

Comment

• Worked on my brother’s car today. The handles made it really easy to set the head in place. Also, a little trick my dad taught me was to use dental floss to hold the exhaust gasket in place, then get the studs started and pull the floss. Didn’t get quite as far as I wanted cause I seem to have forgotten to order head bolts. Powder coated some parts. I heart clean parts when putting an engine back together.

It’s making me think maybe I should make extra of the handles. I can’t say if it’s easier than just grabbing the head, but it sure seemed like it.

Comment

• I'd think that so long as the output side of the oil pump is still being fed to the appropriate port, and chamber diameter doesn't become large enough to drop pressure, a dogleg "pipe" of sorts may work.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

• big fan of the powdercoat.

Comment

• Got bro’s car back together and back to him. After a few more issues getting sorted out.

Haven’t really spent much time on my own stuff. Too many deliverables at work. The Alodine works great on parts that can be soaked, but just spraying it on the block didn’t result in the color I wanted, so I got creative and just came up with my own custom color. Got the oil pan cut, but not welded yet.

I starting making the equipment to cut the bellhousing and the trans, but haven’t completed it yet, or cut anything. Still dialing in the last stuff. No pictures.

Comment

• Got the pan welded back together and added some -6 AN fittings onto an OE rail.

I built a table to section the bellhousings. I’ll take some pics tomorrow. It’s supremely overkill, but I made it out of leftover junk from the shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X