No announcement yet.

Atom's 2 door Amazon wagon Project:Headquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve never cast anything out of metal. I’d like to try that one day.

Comment

• Took some time on a brisk Seattle morning to let my buddy do some drone photos

Comment

• Some in-progress stuff.

Then I decided that instead of having a radio blank and a clock blank and rear defrost blank and fader blank, etc. that I’d just cover that part too. It’ll become a panel to relocate the idiot lights from the dash (more on that later) and put in digital boost gauge.

Because the Amazon firewall is so close to the driver there’s not enough room to push the E30 cluster as far back as it is in an E30. What I’m going to do is pull the clear plastic face off the front, trim off the idiot light panel across the bottom, relocate those to the center stack, make individual bezels for the four dials (to look sort of aviation style) and have each bezel have it’s own acrylic face.

Also won an auction for a used Nardi from Japan. Now I need to track down an adapter hub.

Comment

• Dash looks sweet, I dig the driver orientated dashboards.
          Keen to see how the cluster updates
          Last edited by kevvy_dawg; 01-23-2019, 02:39 AM.

Comment

• love the hand-made dash, cant wait to see how the cluster turns out

Comment

• Little further.

I’d kind of like to add a green tint to the numbers. I don’t know if I’m gonna take it that far though.

Comment

• Phone mount (also the head unit in HQ). Goes in the upper dash location

The hinge probably looks a little funny, but like a suicide door hinge, in order to keep the gap tight I need the insert to hinge “out” rather than just pivot along the edge. All of the middle stack openings will have similar polished aluminum trim rings

I used a generic push-lock-spring cabinet latch for positioning and motion.

Comment

• Hot DMN it's always some good stuff in here. Your rapid prototyping (/ get it right in one try, haha) skills are really inspiring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buick40 View Post
                    Hot DMN it's always some good stuff in here. Your rapid prototyping (/ get it right in one try, haha) skills are really inspiring.
                    It’s the magic of the internet

Comment

• Updates:
                      Wrapped some of the dash components. Also found out I was sent the wrong color early on and used that color to wrap my door panels. Not a huge deal since I intended on re-doing to upper panels two tone anyway. Gauge panel trim is just sitting in there. Have some trimming to do in order to get things fitting better.

I was contacted by Dgerry (on R3V) from G-Pop Shop in Arkansas who was interested in helping out with the build from a turbo standpoint. Since I had already bought the turbo I was going to use and don’t have to moneys to buy anything nice and new, he offered to do a little trade work with me. I sent him my new turbo to upgrade. He installed new journal bearings, new upgraded 360 thrust bearing, new seals (including a stepped gap version on the turbine side). He balanced it, leak checked it and changed to a billet GTX3076 compressor wheel. It’s on it’s way back to me and I couldn’t be more excited.

I still need to iron out some dash details before I can wrap it. It’s tough when I get antsy to not just wrap it and put it in. Carpet kit will be coming soon and I have a pair of custom floor mats getting sewn up as I type.

Comment

• Drone video shot by Andrew (@absonracing on IG)

Comment

• That dash is NUTS
                          Is that your phone or you got one just for the car and you gonna leave it in there 24/7?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                            That dash is NUTS
                            Is that your phone or you got one just for the car and you gonna leave it in there 24/7?
                            It’s my phone. When you push on the face it springs out so you can slide the phone in/out.

Comment

• Just as an FYI, not everything magically works out for me. I am not going to have funds, or time, to get my front seats upholstered before I’ve got stuff to do this coming spring so I decided to paint/dye the front seats. I had some custom color mixed up and prepped/sprayed the seats. I know it’s not a solid long term solution, but I figured I could get one season out of it. Well, after getting it all done it felt “dry”. Not like how it usually is. I stuffed my arm up in the seat to remove the hangers I used while spraying and everywhere the seat wrinkled the paint cracked. I drug a nail across it and it flakes right off. FML. Now I need to strip off all the paint, re-prep and spray again. I won’t be using custom mixed paint this time (I’m blaming that material), but instead an off-the-shelf rattle can color. This is gonna be a pain in the a$$.

Comment

• Dude you are a living legend! This car is ...... can't even discribe it. "INSANE" is just not good enough. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X