No announcement yet.

Atom's 2 door Amazon wagon Project:Headquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last fixture for the weekend. This will make it so I can build the upper plenum at work and be sure it’ll clear parts in the car.

The crossmember with the pan rail fixture

Comment

• Any idea what would happen if you pair a sprung center clutch disk with a dual mass flywheel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atom View Post
        Any idea what would happen if you pair a sprung center clutch disk with a dual mass flywheel?
        Guess infinite bounce? LOL
        It would probably be that the least firm would compress as if the other was non-sprung for a certain amount before the firmer starts to work? but I surely would not want to have the dual mass flywheel at all as they feel like shit and always fail, let alone a dual mass AND an experimental sprung disc

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• So, used our shipping pallet jack/scale to weigh the empty engine/trans combo. I’m going to re-weigh them tomorrow on a more accurate scale (even though the shipping/receiving guys swear the scale on the pallet jack is accurate)

Got some new stickers today for both my cars (the Amazon will have to wait for his)

Comment

• One or two OEMs have used sprung discs on DMFs. Ultra-mushy.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

• You gonna sell those stickers?

Comment

• Originally posted by zoolander View Post
                You gonna sell those stickers?
                I bought them from a guy on Swedespeed. In the FWD & AWD Parts For Sale section.

Comment

• Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
                  One or two OEMs have used sprung discs on DMFs. Ultra-mushy.
                  I may have found a correct size/spline unsprung hub disk to try. I know it’s not ideal to run basically both sprung, but I’d rather not invest a ton on a clutch setup until I’m sure all of this is gonna work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atom View Post
                    I bought them from a guy on Swedespeed. In the FWD & AWD Parts For Sale section.
                    Awesome, thank you.

Comment

• Boring Saturday night. UFC on the tv and a stack of compressor maps.

Comment

• Been doing lame work. Not exciting stuff. Changing coolant lines from FWD configuration and making motor mounts. I want the (potential) option to shift the whole assembly forward a bit since the firewall clearance is tight.

FWD coolant lines:

Green= heater in/out
                        Yellow= turbo coolant (interesting that in and out are on the same branch of the coolant pipe
                        Blue= expansion tank
                        Orange= oil cooler built into the side of the oil pan

New configuration:

Red= expansion tank
                        Green= radiator lower hose
                        Blue= turbo coolant in/out (I used the old oil cooler out from head and old coolant inlet on main pipe)
                        Yellow= turbo oil pressure (banjo) and drain

Motor mount stuff (I used the C-clamp to put some compression on the mount. I can add washers if it compresses too much under engine weight)

Probable alternator location

Comment

• A little up pipe and down pipe work. Waiting on some stainless rod to come in to fab up a support for the turbo so the weight isn’t all on the up pipe. Also waiting on a bunch of fittings and line to show up from JEGS. Just chipping away.

I still plan on building a complete custom header with the flange that was graciously donated to me, but this way I can reasonably figure out a proper sized turbo before I spend a bunch of money on weld els. Budget first, upgrades later.

Comment

• Beautiful
                            But I guess the cast exhaust manifold will sooner or later be ditched for a tubular one haha

Edit: damn me in hell, didn't read the last part before posting, I was mesmerized by the turbo to downpipe transition
                            Last edited by Fruttolo; 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM.

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                              Beautiful
                              But I guess the cast exhaust manifold will sooner or later be ditched for a tubular one haha

Edit: damn me in hell, didn't read the last part before posting, I was mesmerized by the turbo to downpipe transition
                              It’s cool. That’s actually a Vibrant part (the flange) that has a recess in it that’s the right size to “squish” down 3” tube to fit in it. Worked well.

Comment

• Few more things done:

-thermostat spacer to add an E30 temp sender for the dash gauge.

-upper intake spacer to clear taller injectors (S40 injectors are short and I’ll probably just run greens for now)

-hardlines for turbo coolant in/out. Had to order some different -10 fittings for the drain and still waiting on a straight -4 for oil feed as well as the time to weld the -4 and -10 steel fittings to the OE hardlines.

Oh, also added some 3/8” stainless bar to support the turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X