Atom's 2 door Amazon wagon Project:Headquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atom's 2 door Amazon wagon Project:Headquarters

I know this isn't the typical StanceIWorks type of build, but maybe you guys would like to see it. Especially since the renderings my buddy Luke Jones made have been making the internet rounds. I started out just wanting an Amazon wagon real bad. I searched a ton and all I could find was cars that were either too expensive or too broken. I finally found one in Oregon and bought it sight unseen. I immediately got my buddy Luke to start on renderings for me. I had picked out wheels and knew I wanted a blue car, so we went from there. Luke is amazing and has been exceptionally helpful.

This was the first version of the rendering:

Then as a two door:

Then I decided the color was too dark for my plans, so I looked at a bunch of Amazon photos and came up with 1966 code #90 Volvo dark blue.

Like this color:

I convinced my paint supplier from work to comp me paint for the complete.

Luke took that and started another rendering.

So everyone understands, the end goal of this project is a daily driver for me. I don't want this car to be too perfect. I'm always too worried to enjoy my cars when I make them too perfect. The inside will be utilitarian and will get USED for hauling tools and supplies. The outside will probably have nicks and scratches and dings. I'm ok with that. It'll be like me, rough around the edges, but pretty cool none the less.

Adam

When I actually drove down and picked the car up it turned out to be missing a LOOOOOOOOOT of stuff. Particularly little trim and screws and clips and such.

These were taken the day I dropped it off.

Then I went back to the car another day to take more pics and measurements.

Then I noticed some pretty bad rust. Wasn't very happy.

Last edited by Atom; 06-16-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

damn, that would be awesome

start working naow
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Since there was so much rust and stuff missing, I decided to track down a donor car. I've always wanted a two door wagon so I found a coupe donor car and got to work.

the projects overseer and namesake: HEADQUARTERS!!

Then I cut off everything from the firewall forward.

Then I drilled out all the spotwelds leaving the support structure for the from sheet metal which I then ground down in prep.

Also drilled all the spotwelds going down the firewall.

Then I had to pull the engine/trans and front sheet metal off of the donor car.

More spotwelds.

Then line it up with the engine hoist for support.

Then weld it all in.

Using the engine hoist to lift the front nice and high to gusset the frame.

moved on to supporting the car on 4 jackstands in prep to pull pillars.

Cut out the pillar.

Then I fit the door from the coupe.

Here you can see that the rear edge of the door slopes down a hair.

I initially wanted to use the entire quarter panel and seam it right along the top ridge, but the shape of the two is really different.

Then I thought that I'd just follow the rear door edge straight down to the wheel well, but that made it too thick at the wheel lip.

So, I eventually wound up just following the old door opening.

I should only need minimal filler.

Here you can see that the coupe quarter tails inward as it goes back at the crown. I had to slot the top and pull out on it to get the quarter sections to line up.

I cut the top off of the original rear doors and then had to shorten the top to get it to line up with the section of coupe quarter.

Here you can see a weird little notch where the coupe quarter panel comes back and meets the window. My plan is to put the chrome trim off of the coupe that runs along the top crest of the door and quarter back on, then create my own trim to continue along the lower ledge of the rear window. It should all work out OK.

Then the bodywork started. My least favorite job to do. I grew up doing bodywork. My dad owned a small two person bodyshop from before I was born till just about five years ago when he retired.

The boy really wants to go home. LOL.

I don't have any great pics, but my plan for the mid window is to continue the pinch weld all the way around the opening. Add some bulb seal. Use the front section of the coupe window trim and the full length bottom and by braising on the remainder of the window surround have a pop out mid window for venting.

Now onto primer.

Then I took the wheels off of my bosses R33 Skyline to test fit width and to see if 18" wheels would work for my needs.

I also took out the shocks and springs to see what full low was.

Comment

This is the difference in length and shape from the coupe door to the front wagon door.

Saving this space for more bodywork pics.

Comment

I will be running an AQ171 Penta motor. Turbo'ed with NIW intake and header. It'll be backed with a R154 transmission and wind up at an S13 240SX rear subframe. The subframe install is next on the list cause I need to spec the offest on the wheels I want (American Racing Salt Flats) since they take 3-4 weeks to build.

I also bought an R230 diff assembly to fit into the S13 subframe at some point.

All my Nathan stuff showed up in the mail, so I figured I'd test fit it. I had him make all my stuff for tilted 240 for my other car since the Amazon wasn't even on the horizon at the time, so a few things are gonna need modding to get it to fit.

If I woulda known I was gonna be building this car I woulda had him make it for vert mounting.

Tight fit #1

Tight fit #2

Tight fit #3

Did some more mocking up and test fitting stuff. Man, is this engine compartment SMAAAAALLL.

Smallest intercooler piping in the world? Might just be hard elbow out of turbo and hard elbow out of intercooler with hump hose connecting them. Time to create new motor mounts.

Somebody's gonna need to do some aluminum welding for me. I need hard elbows on a lot of stuffs.

Gonna have to still pocket the fender a little for intake clearance.

Comment

So, I decided to put the gas filler behind the taillight so I started on it a while back at lunch. I created a pocket with a place to put the filler neck and some hardware to mount hinges to. I'll have to have the light flip up in order to have enough room for the pump when the light is open. I'll also have to design a double hinge to be sure the light moves correctly as to not bind when it opens. If all that wasn't enough, I'm gonna build a LED panel to replace the bulbs to get the tailight thin enough to make room for hinges etc.

Hoping to get more time to work on it again soon.

Adam

Comment

damn, looks like i spoke too soon

awesome build!!

subbed!
                Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

A better pic of the test fit:

A quick chop with the wheels I eventually want to use:

Wheels I picked up to use as rollers/test fitting:

Test fitting on my car:

With a lot of spacer. Gonna figure out a way to get more camber out of the front and with the S13 rear I should be able to set the camber wherever I want.

Adam

Comment

Wow
                    im josh. i have a supra

Comment

areyouawizard.jpg
                      Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Sub'd awesome work so far. Excited to follow the progress and see the finished product. I might have just read over it but what are your suspension plans?

Comment

this is awesome already !
                          C280 Build Thread
                          C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                          E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Subscribed, I LOVE Amazons!!! Amazing work this far! Wow!!

Comment

Awesome!
                              -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                              Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Working...
                              X