Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Atom's 2 door Amazon wagon Project:Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttolo View Post
    Such a good looking engine! The alternator belt mounts/tensioner are genius, may steal the concept for my vw haha
    Will the turbo oil feed not be hardline?
    No, I won’t do the oil line in straight copper like the water lines in case it fails and I figure if they’re not going to match, I may as well make them a LOT different. Maybe later I switch them all to Ni-Cop or something, but for now braided is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kimove View Post
    Finally an update

Looks great

what cnc router are you using?
    It’s a Kelling KL6090 (it’s a cheap Chinese one I bought off of Amazon years ago)

Ordered a new shirt for show season this upcoming year. Seems to fit my build well.

love it

Taking a break from engine stuff for a bit. Just working on a timing belt cover and then back on the interior.

Started by drawing the pulley positions and belt routing in CAD first. I was going to put the grille hexagons in the cover, but it looked too busy.

Then I cut the outside shape (flipped for front and back) out of MDF and sealed the MDF with BIN primer. Don’t know what’s in that stuff, but it dries fast and seals MDF quickly.

I wanted some bumps where the pulleys are even though it doesn’t “need” them. The back plates are made out of HDPE cause resins don’t stick to it.

Then I made an HDPE ring that will act as the step to make the two halves fit together. There’s clay in the corners as a fillet and the whole mold is sprayed with PVA mold release.

I took some acrylic rod pieces, sharpened them and placed them where the bolt holes in the head are.

I did two layers carbon and one layer of fiberglass with a middle layer of baltek mat in the back part to aid rigidity. Then vacuum bagged it.

Pro tip: if you want the weave of loose carbon to hold it’s shape when you’re cutting a template spray it with Super77 3M spray glue lightly.

Then demolding

Two halves fit together

Test fitting

Now I just need to fill voids, paint and finalize.

Is there something you can't work with, man? :O

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

I’ve never cast anything out of metal. I’d like to try that one day.

Took some time on a brisk Seattle morning to let my buddy do some drone photos