Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slammed Navigator - A mobile navigation app for lowered / slammed cars I'm developing

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    When does UK coverage come out....
    Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    Do it. Charge a buck. Id rather pay a dollar then have an app with no suport or ad spamming.

I dont have an iphone, and my ipod touch wouldnt really help for this application, but i think its a grat idea.
    The app will work anywhere in the world that there's roads and cell coverage So once it opens up, you'll be able to use it in the UK!

I thought about everyone's situation while developing the app - since not everyone has an android phone or iphone. If you have a somewhat current phone that supports geolocation, you'll be able to access the app without downloading it by browser. The browser version will function just like the app. All you'll have to do is go to app.slammednavigator.com (or app.slammednav.com, they both will be the same) with your phone.

Actually, the app won't have ads or cost for users, but it will still be generating a good amount of revenue If you think about it, an app like this is prime targeted advertisement for local performance shops. So, charge a monthly fee to have their shop shown on the navigation map with their logo as their map icon, a popup bubble with their info on click, and wallah! Revenue generation that doesn't take from the app at all.

Comment

I wish I was ambitious... I think I've talked about how I wished this existed...

Most of Connecticut back roads are not low friendly, but I managed...

will there be degrees of low that you can set it for? haha

Comment

Originally posted by MrJereMoose View Post
        I wish I was ambitious... I think I've talked about how I wished this existed...

Most of Connecticut back roads are not low friendly, but I managed...

will there be degrees of low that you can set it for? haha
        Yes! Absolutely, I was waiting for someone to ask this. Right, so obviously some roads aren't going to be as treacherous for a car with a ride height of 3" as say, for a car that's 0.5" off the ground.

So, when you rate a road there's 3 required fields, and 1 optional field.

Vehicle Ride Height: Options are... 8+", 5-8", 3-5", 1-3", less than 1"
        Road Rating: 1 (Decent) - 5 (Terrible)
        Road Condition: Pothole, Speedbump, Construction, Other
        Comments (Optional). Allow for a comment on the road of up to 255 characters. So you could say for example "Avoid right lane".

Once you submit a road it all gets entered into the database that holds all the ratings.

Basically, in the "Settings" of the app, and also the first time you use it - it will prompt you to select the height of your vehicle. Then, when you view the map or enter into a route navigation, it takes into account your ride height relevant to road conditions submitted on roads by other users within a certain area around your current position, and updates accordingly.

Comment

Progress has slowed down a bit, having issues with navigation calculation

Comment

this is an amazing idea i never thought i would see the day this would happen haha the whole if countys will be coverd very quickly as everybody will have such great local knowledge i know that i know all the roads with in a 70 mile radius so think of like two people per 70 mile and it will be class

let us know when this is up will be downloaded instantly

Comment

Now when you "rate a road," roads are obviously very long, or can be at least. Do you have the ratings segmented into mile-by-mile breakdowns, or perhaps block-by-block for greater accuracy and better route calculations?

Do you have an expiration date for comments? Or can another person override the first person's opinion on road condition? Potholes and other issues do tend to get fixed from time to time.

Is it going to be iOS? Android? Both? If both, will the databases be shared between iOS and Android?

Relying on crowdsourcing means you're basically leaving your app up to us (the unwashed masses) to work together to help create a database. For that reason I'd suggest going free -- this scene lends itself to more grassroots work, and making the app free will give many more people the ability (or reasoning, or whathaveyou) to contribute and create the database. Perhaps once it's a bit robust, you can move up to a paid tier just to start recouping costs.

(Sorry if it seems like I'm being overbearing, these are just some random questions swimming through my head. I did a brief stint as a computer engineer in college.)

www.fluidmotorunion.com
              www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
              I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
                Now when you "rate a road," roads are obviously very long, or can be at least. Do you have the ratings segmented into mile-by-mile breakdowns, or perhaps block-by-block for greater accuracy and better route calculations?

Do you have an expiration date for comments? Or can another person override the first person's opinion on road condition? Potholes and other issues do tend to get fixed from time to time.

Is it going to be iOS? Android? Both? If both, will the databases be shared between iOS and Android?

Relying on crowdsourcing means you're basically leaving your app up to us (the unwashed masses) to work together to help create a database. For that reason I'd suggest going free -- this scene lends itself to more grassroots work, and making the app free will give many more people the ability (or reasoning, or whathaveyou) to contribute and create the database. Perhaps once it's a bit robust, you can move up to a paid tier just to start recouping costs.

(Sorry if it seems like I'm being overbearing, these are just some random questions swimming through my head. I did a brief stint as a computer engineer in college.)
                Agreed. It's going to take a few years for this to become useful and it totally depends on people's input. Unfortunately this will never work for me in upstate ny since there arent enough slammed cars but I would LOVE it for when I go south for shows

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post

Excellent questions

So right, the road rating first off. That was something I thought about for a while, originally it was going to be a line (Polyline in google map's api terms) down an entire road once it had been rated. But that would be very inefficient and even if I did segment the roads say, per block there would still be the issue of the driver looking all over down the say, 20 yard segment of road for a pothole (Speedbump and construction zone would be obvious to spot)

Instead of lines, I thought the most precise, and best way to handle the display of rating would be geo/snapped to road markers that indicate the type of road condition at the exact point in the road a specific marker is marking. So when you rate a road to indicate say, a speedbump, you would tap on the road at the exact spot (Or as near as you can manage, depending on touch screen precision, and some other factors, typically it's very precise and the app is smart enough to snap your "tap" or "click" to a road) and that is where a marker would be displayed once the rating has been submitted.

Below is a screenshot of what these markers look like, and you can also see how when I tapped the map, it snapped it to the closest road.

Next question, road conditions currently have no expiration dates. Which has it's pro's and cons... and is something I'm still thinking a lot about. Right now road conditions are entirely policed and maintained by the users, a user can click an existing condition marker and flag it as invalid, out of date, etc. When a certain threshold of users flags a condition marker, it's automatically hidden from rendering on the map for all users, and will be marked as irrelevant in our database, but will not be deleted.

I've built the app with an extremely versatile framework and have done my best to use the most up to date practices as far as structuring for consistency / compatibility goes. The app will fully support any iOS device, and all Android devices. The app will also have a browser version as well (What my screenshot is from) that will work with any mobile device that has a modern browser with html/javascript support.

All forms of the app will be pulling and putting data into the same databases. So, the road conditions displayed on your iphone near your home, will be the exact same as display on an android device or web browser.

The application will always be free, I have no intention to ever charge for it, nor do I plan on throwing up annoying advertisement banners or any of that junk. I do have an idea for the app will make money, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on this particular thread, so if I'm repeating myself I'm sorry, lol. Because the app will almost exclusively be used by individuals with modified vehicles, I figured I would (Later down the road) add the ability for shops (Not firestone, or jiffy lube or those generic rip-you-off tune up places) to have a custom marker always displayed on the map where their shop is located, and allow users a secondary option from the main menu called "Search Shops" or something like that if they need work done on their car. But, that ideas still entirely up in the air.

Oh also! I did finally get around to updating the entire website, changing the name / logo and everything over to Slammed Navigator. Right now I'm working on getting some big automotive blogs / facebook pages to support and push out the apps website to their blog/facebook fans to get the word out, and I have to say it's going very, very well. I'm trying to get the guys at Stanceworks on board to support the app, I messaged them about it a few hours ago.

Yeah soooo... Check out the redone site! Let me know what you think.

http://www.slammednavigator.com/

All of the following url's also redirect to slammednavigator.com, in case you prefer something short or are used to the old ones.

Comment

You my friend are a genius. Will this app have voice guidence? I want to throw my iPhone everytime I use it for navigation because it absolutely sucks. This app is perfect. I am willing to donate some cash to the project and I'm sure many others will too

Comment

This is awesome. Definitely getting this as soon as it comes out.
                      94 Saturn SW2 - T3s60 7psi, slammed, daily driven
                      94 Saturn SC2 - T3/T4, 13.4 @107 mph, built motor coming soon
                      --MegaSquirt user--

Comment

Go on Shark Tank my man. Even if you ask for a stupid evaluation the exposure will be insane.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo turkey View Post
                          You my friend are a genius.
                          I second this. When this comes out I'm going to buy a new phone just so that I can use this

Comment

My website would donate to you and the cause. Just let us know how we can help.
                            03' Lightning w/ Bolt-Ons | KLR 650 | Duece.

Originally posted by willis
                            This is Stanceworks, champ. Get with it.

Comment

Originally posted by iliescu View Post
                              Go on Shark Tank my man. Even if you ask for a stupid evaluation the exposure will be insane.
                              I wish... I would so do that! Hahah

Originally posted by M M View Post
                              I second this. When this comes out I'm going to buy a new phone just so that I can use this
                              Hahah, I'm no genius.. I Just like building things. Glad you like it

Originally posted by Repiks View Post
                              My website would donate to you and the cause. Just let us know how we can help.
                              PM'd

Comment

It's ready

Comment

Working...
                                X