X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Productive day was productive:

Driveshaft fitted.
    Brakes bleed.
    Front camber adjusted aka maxed out negativ aka -2° lol.
    Front suspension buttoned up.
    Successfully test fitted new wheels.

Next:

Install exhaust till new katalytic converter arrives (should be here wednesday).
    Wire Fan to temp.sensor (correct so it works).
    Test drive.
    Fix whatever is wrong (everything).
    Reassamble interior.

Some time next:
    Replace Kat.
    Get tüv (hopefully).
    Fix whatever the tüv guy says (proberly brakes).

Comment

• It moved!!!

It got out of the driveway and down the streed under its own power!
      The brakes need to be rebleed, the clutch need adusting
      and it ran out of gas after a few hundred meters, but who cares...

I care, i really do, because my dad and i had to pushed it back.
      It was heavier than i remember it beeing, probably since it was raining
      cats and dogs at that point...

The following day i put 20l fresh gas in it but it wouldn't start.
      Cranked fine, even with the 12 y/o battery i charged after 2 somewhat years...

Checked some stuff...
      Fuel pump => no power...
      Fuel pump relay => no power...
      Fuel pump fuse => again, no power...

The ecu powers the relay which puts 12V to the fuel pump.
      That indicated a fried ecu.

That all happend last weekend, this weekend i checked some more stuff...

Put a identical ecu in, same partno and alphacode.
      Nothing, cranking fine but still not running...
      At that point i was lost, i mean its a simple car, simple tech.., you put 12V here and ground something there and it works.
      So i plugged the auto trans and harness back in...
      Nothing...

I sat in the driver seat like wut the fuu 's ur problem try me bitsh i swear,
      while furiously turning the ignition on and off (i'm an adult, i swear)...
      after a while i heard a noise from the back, but not the fuel pump, more like splashing...

TURNS OUT WHEN I DROVE THE CAR DOWN THE STREET WITH NEXT NO FUEL IN IT THE FUCKING FUEL PUMP
      PUSHED SO MUCH AIR IN THE SYSTEM THAT I RAN IT DRY!!!

After that i unplugged all the auto trans stuff and it let it idle, just to make sure it is working.
      And it is working...

Yes i'm that stupid.

I'll include some potato pic of the wheels i test fitted last week, because no one likes posts without pics...
      8.5s ET10 for the front, perfect fit...
      IMG_0333
      9.5s also ET10, actually for the rear but fits the front nice too...
      IMG_0331
      The front is always scary, the rear is no problem i currently run 17x9 ET-12, new ones are 9.5 ET0...

Next?
      Katalytic converter (ordered)
      Wire 3000 lights
      Put interior back together

Comment

• Update? Update.

Bit the bullet and got myself new tools, toolbox and powertools...
        Hazet and makita for the people that care, same stuff we use at work...
        It's funny how much you get used to how tools feel...

Well worth the money!

Got jet another set of wheels, way overpriced, but they actually fit the car, no adapters or
        whatever needed, even with TÜV certificate only the wrench is missing.
        They are in all original shape which is rare i guess...
        And it's true what they say, they make everything better.

Reassambled interior, make sure to skip labeling parts and bolts wait a year or two,
        then put it back together. So much more fun...
        Eventually i figured it out.

Treated myself with new radio too as you can see above.
        It's a Continental, didn't even know they do radios.
        All the new USB/Aux/Bluetooth stuff i don't even use...
        And it was 110€/130$, new in box. Plus "it doesn't look like a spaceship"...

That's a update worth itself isn't it...

Comment

• Damn if looks great on those RS!

Comment

• Two updates in half a year?
            Let's keep this going!

Left of with the RS test fittet to the car, next was to get new tires.

I went with 235/45s, i would have liked 235/40s but couldn't find any.
            Got some Conti PremiumContact6, so now the car is premium.

Next on the list was brakes.
            As i tested the RS i glanced over the front brakes. The pads worn, the disks rusty, the rubber lines cracked.
            So, get new pads, disks and lines, easy right. Well almost.

These cars, when fitted with the small engines like mine, have a tiny, almost none existent front brake.
            10.15" x .95" disks for a car that weights in at about 2750lbs, the rear brakes are 10.63" x 0.4"
            regardless what engine is fittet. So upgrade time.

Luckily it's easy.., get the 11.60" rotors and associated calipers of 3.0 24V models and bolt them on.
            Kinda, you have to get a different master and to fit that you need a different brake booster.
            Not that easy if you ask me, furthermore these calipers often have seized slide bolts.

What is way easier is to get the 11.22"x .95" rotors and calipers of the Omega B 2.0 16V.
            Left old, new right. Obviously

The disks were 20$ (old stock at the dealer), pads 40$, the calipers 80$ each.
            All ATE/OEM stuff, 220$, not bad if you ask me. Also less (not really) weight to haul around...

If you do this upgrade you can use the stock rubber lines of the Omega A which bolt on
            to the Omega B calipers. You can't use the ones of the B since they are about an 1" to long.
            What you can do is to get steel braided brake lines, which is what i did. It's a racecar duh...

I got them from Fabian Spiegler Bremsentechnik, quality stuff.
            You even can choose the cover material for the lines.., i didn't since it's 20$ more.
            Instead i used clear heat shrink.., yes i'm cheap like that. Judge me.
            Only negative point is you have to grind a small portion of the caliper to bolt them on,
            on both the stock and the ones i used.
            Nothing major, just the stop that keeps the line from spinning when you tighten it.

Next update will be a tool update, if stuff gets delivered this weekend...
            Last edited by OrangeBlue; 03-18-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Looking forward to more updates man
              2 328i e36's
              Saabaru linear 2.5na
              Various projects.
              sigpic
              Intro;
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

Comment

• yeah, i hear this thing rolls, wheres the proof

Comment

• Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                  Looking forward to more updates man
                  Lets hope i can keep the updates going...

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                  yeah, i hear this thing rolls, wheres the proof

Comment

• very spooky drive tbh

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                      very spooky drive tbh
                      You should hear the howling from the diff, very spooky.

Comment

• I promised more updates...

More tools have been purchased, more tools means more work.

A set of wrenches both standart (metric lol) and angled.

You don't use these a ton, but if you have to they are crucial.

Also got a pair of led pen lights, and i'm impressed how bright they are, you'll see later...
                        Very useful if you work on the car and if you take the dog out at night...

And a GM type steering wheel puller thing.
                        For what you'll see next.

For a new steering wheel, what else...
                        The service manuel tells you to use it. And i tell you, i tried to get it of without it.
                        Not happening, this is the only car ever i had to use one...

The old wheel was ok, it did what a steering wheel should do.
                        But it is super ugly, four spoke and kinda worn.

And since i picked up the RSs, you have to have a matching steering wheel.
                        So i got me a wheel to match my wheels...

This is how bright the pen light is, i pinched it in the sun visor since it was already very dark out...

And no, i didn't pay what they go for nowadays, i bought this five yrs ago for super cheap,
                        but couldn't find the right hub, last month i finaly found one..
                        Not about the wooden insert but what you gonna do...
                        Even got the horn to work, after i searched high and low why it didn't work...

Lesson learned.., check you fuses first.
                        Last edited by OrangeBlue; 11-19-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Nice steering wheel!

Comment

• Story time.., aka a never ending stroy.

A few weeks ago i was in the garage to do an oil change. I let the car idle in the driveway. I had the hood open, admiring the engine and engine bay.
                            Not much to admire but you get the point. I notice the idle was not as good as it should be. Like it was missing a clyinder for a few revolutions
                            then running pretty normal and then missing again. Not terrible but noticable, since these engines don't have a smooth idle i shrug off.

After it got to temp, it got worse. So i revved it up a bit, maybe to like 3k let of and boom, backfire into the intake.
                            Mind you i was pretty much sitting on the core support reaching over to the trottlebody, and got pretty scared.., and very annoyed...
                            One more thing to deal with...

I did my oil change, nothing special to report. Rare occurrence with this car...

What causes backfires? Well a lot of things apparendly, most of the stuff not even relevant for this engine.
                            What i thought? Humen error.., which means i did something wrong.

Timing belt checked out fine, not skipped or something, althought the tension was a bit high.
                            Looked at the ignition system, every plug wire had a different resistance, distributor cap worn, coil main connector oxidised.
                            New parts needed, and after learning there are 4 different ignition systems with different SAE -> SAE and DIN -> SAE connectors an via vesta, i got the parts.
                            While doing this research i found out a lot of people don't run Bosch spark plugs because the cause or contibute to bad idle, guess what i have in there.

So i decided to try the NGK spark plugs everyone fanboys about. Pulled the spark plugs 2, 3 and 4. Checked sparkplugs, checked fine.
                            Checked piston crows, checked fine.
                            After all that i had to pull the No.1 plug. I saved that for last since i have to unbolt the header, and we all know what happend the last time i undid
                            a header bolt. I was only 7/8 as successful i should have been. This time all 8 came off no problem, probably thanks to the shit ton anti seize i used.

But, you guessed it there is a but, i don't like it, you dont like it, nobody likes it, but it's always there. Always.

As i unscrew the No.1 spark plug, it didn't feel like the other three...after i got it out, i looked at the thread and half of it was gone.

Currently waiting on the tool to fix it.

Also wondering if i should keep working on it, i try to tread it nice, name brand shit and stuff. Bosch, BBS, Continental, Castrol, OEM Opel.
                            Not trowing money at it (lol yeah, right buddy have you seen the shit you bought), i could get most of the stuff for 1/4 the price...
                            Even my mom said the car is bad luck, and she is the last one to be superstitious.

tl:dr: Spark plug threads cly. 1 fucked up, tool on the way.

Comment

• i really feel you on the last post mate,

Comment

• I dare to say it out loud...

The car runs better, smoother and quieter than ever, besides a squeaky noise, but let's not get caught up on that. For now at least.

The spark plug thread repair went better than expected, i got no pics because it was rainy and cold...
                                Rather than using these cheap repair insert, that need to be loctited in place, i used heicoil inserts.

You thread the cutting tool in the remaining threads (fyi there was no threads left), and it bores and cuts threads in one go.
                                The new thread is oversized, something like a m15x1.whatever, and the helicoil insert you put in becomes a m14x1.25.
                                And viola the spark plug fits again.

Put in all new ignition gear, Fanboi NGK plugs, bosch leads, rotor, cap and coil. Then start up time.
                                But car no start, very sad, crank fine but no wroom wroom noises...

Classic mistake: Injectors unplugged.., unplugged them after the thread repair to crank it over to clear out the shavings.

Injectors plugged in and let's go for another try.

This time i got wroom wroom noises, but only from cly 2, 3 and 4. Picture me about to "i can't even".
                                Ok calm down, now the car is mocking you...

Pull spark plug. Wet and smells of fuel (there is a joke but i'm not gonna tell you which).
                                That means no spark. Cyl. 2, 3 and 4 run, only cyl. 1 is dead. It is a distributor ignition system. So that tells you your plug isn't grounded.
                                Remember everything is new. So it can only be the repaired threads...

Last Resort swap out spark plug with another cyl. and check if the error is still there.

And guess fucking what, no error no nothing. Just a running engine. Go figure...

Next update is with pictures, i promise.

Comment

Working...
                                X