cutting springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting springs

what does everyone think about doin this?

I run cut springs for a long time, the ride is awful. The smart thing to do would be to save up but if you really don't have the money cut springs gets you low until you do.

Comment

ya wasnt expecting a smooth ride, how did u measure urs when u cet them? i dont want to take too much off but want atleast a 3inch drop

Comment

be careful and do research on doing it proper. my truck had cut coils on it and one cracked in half when i was driving. was not good. had cuts on my civic also. it was super bumpy but it was low. i asume it broke on my truck because it was way to much weight for it.

Comment

when u say "bumpy" do u mean like a super stiff ride? or bouncy like a blown shock?

Comment

Figure out where you want your fender to sit, measure the gap difference, then cut that difference off the non-flat side of the springs so it can still seat properly.

Comment

i feel like theres a new thread about cutting springs every week! lol

just do it! it will be stiff and uncomfortable but cant be picky if dont want to pay to go low (cutting your spring raises your spring rate). just make sure its a temporary thing because your suspension will end of blowing if driven on for too long, then the ride will really suck. i ran cut springs on my m3 for about 6months and i was fine.

for cutting the spring just take out a coil and drop it... if its not low enough for you then just keep taking little by little until you are sitting where you want, maybe about 1/4 of a coil at a time.
              Last edited by Schultz28; 03-14-2012, 03:51 AM.

Comment

lol should have a sticky for it then, hmmn im really considering it. pics anyone?

Comment

It will be bouncy on normal roads and back breakingly stiff if you hit a pothole or bump in the road. The handlings also super sketchy and hard to predict. Speaking from experience here.

Mine on cut springs:

Cut 4 coils out the front and cut the bumpstops down till they were about an inch high. Cut the top of the pigtail out the back springs

Comment

this is how i had my car sit after the cut springs... even drove all the way to vegas for a car show called wustefest on cut springs

Comment

Why not compress them? it costs next to nothing and you can get the exact amount of low you want.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Soup View Post
                        Why not compress them? it costs next to nothing and you can get the exact amount of low you want.
                        where can i get that done?

Comment

Originally posted by K-Soup View Post
                          Please don't do this. If you mean driving around with spring compressors, than that's super sketchy and I wouldn't want one of those popping off while driving

Comment

Would you get a better result out of cutting lowering springs over stock springs? My car came with H&R springs and people were telling me to just cut them since I wouldn't be out any money.

My Intro Here:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50512
                            My E34 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54494
                            My '78 CB750 Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56809

Comment

Originally posted by CW-325 View Post
                              Please don't do this. If you mean driving around with spring compressors, than that's super sketchy and I wouldn't want one of those popping off while driving
                              I'm driving on compressed springs, but they were compressed properly by heating them up in an oven then compressed in a press till required drop was attained then they were re tempered to bring the strength back, done by a quality company that also makes coil springs etc

no issues and cost next to nothing

dropped my car 50mm like this
                              Bone stock 2004 Audi A8

Comment

Working...
                              X